Property near an electricity distribution centre

Is it a problem to buy a property thats across the road from an electricity distribution centre. From what I can see its a small centre.

If this is within 100m then yes, it's a major problem. LMI will most likely be rejected which means that you and potential buyers in the future will only be able to purchase if they have a 20% deposit.

Stay away.

Is it a problem to buy a property thats across the road from an electricity distribution centre. From what I can see its a small centre.

If you can see it then I wouldn't. They don't make a good view and although they are lovely quiet neighbours who knows what potential health concerns there might be - I also don't buy near those mega high duty power pylons.

What is lmi?

Just out of curiosity why do you stay away from it, is it a health risk?

It's all about perception. Everyone will see it when you want to sell/refinance so you will always have issues with its marketability. Plus no one will go over 80% on it in terms of loan so it's really a dud.

why don't banks lend more than 80% on something near the distribution centre? At the moment, there is no indication that there are any health risks so it puts it down as aesthetics. So what is the risk to the banks?

Some industrial usages want to be as close as possible to the substation, that way there are less losses before the power gets to your building (esp if you want over 200 amps/phase).

why don't banks lend more than 80% on something near the distribution centre? At the moment, there is no indication that there are any health risks so it puts it down as aesthetics. So what is the risk to the banks?

Mortgage insurers don't want to touch them.

Just look at the predominate negative views in this thread, extrapolate this across the community. Should something happen and the property is repossessed, there is a higher risk of difficulty in selling and or reduction in price.

It's not the banks... The banks do not necessarily care but the insurers see high voltage power as a risk and thus will not ensure the bank so the bank will only lend 80%.

thats seriously bad location why would a builder built a nice home there.. anything that close should be a crash repair or somesort of industrial business :p

Back