Property styling - does it make much difference?

love looking at those before and after pictures too.

its amazing the difference that can be made by simply decluttering and using nice fabrics and of course lots of natural light.

I ended up engaging a stylist for $180 to give me tips on additions/deletions to the current furniture/styling of the house, then I went to Kmart/Target/BigW and spent about $400 all up on blinging up the house. House sold in a week and a half. Looking at the pics on the net, I wished I lived in that house!

While it was a cheap way of styling without hiring the stylist's items I found myself removing most of it in between inspections, reverting back to the drop sheet on the floor under the high chair and the family room being a mass of toys.

Hey guys, I just stumbled upon this thread whilst doing some research and thought I'll jump in! I run a property styling company in Melbourne and (obviously) am a true believer on the benefits of styling.

Obviously I am not based in Parra but have a few stylists Australia wide that I could recommend if Google was not a preferred option?

In request to before and after shots, this flat had a $3000 spent for estimated $25 000 return based soley on the living room.

Hope this helps!

BEFORE –– https://twitter.com/hibernatestyle/status/321093977015205888/photo/1

AFTER -- https://twitter.com/hibernatestyle/status/321094689992347649/photo/1

The styling + better photography helps heaps.

How much of the $3k went to the new floor?

Those before after shots are way impressive. What a difference.

Hey guys, I just stumbled upon this thread whilst doing some research and thought I'll jump in! I run a property styling company in Melbourne and (obviously) am a true believer on the benefits of styling.

Obviously I am not based in Parra but have a few stylists Australia wide that I could recommend if Google was not a preferred option?

In request to before and after shots, this flat had a $3000 spent for estimated $25 000 return based soley on the living room.

Hope this helps!

BEFORE –– https://twitter.com/hibernatestyle/status/321093977015205888/photo/1

AFTER -- https://twitter.com/hibernatestyle/status/321094689992347649/photo/1

Hey guys. Roughly $2500 went on the floors (30 sq metres) fully installed. They are floating bamboo boards and they are just beautiful. $150 on paint from http://www.epaintsales.com.au (they will match any brand and colour) and I owned most of the furniture but this can also be hired. Just bulked it up with some cheap cushions and throws from Kmart and a few wall hangings!

When styling it's a good idea not to overcapitalise. Kitchens and bathrooms are super expensive so it's often best to go paint + floor + hire furniture for best return. New blinds and light fixture can also be an inexpensive way to add value.

Hope this helps!

Last week we styled a couple of rooms of the house we have just finished building. We decided to do it ourselves instead of paying a stylist thousands of dollars. Some of them charge per item + $250 per hour for the styling. Plus I love interior design and decorating though am not formally trained. We used our own furniture so half our house is bare atm.

The photographer has done a great job shooting it.

There are more photos at http://www.hammerandheels.net/unvailing-bonner/

What do you think?

Attachments

• 5 Loung dining.jpg
    5 Loung dining.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 235
  • 13 Ensuite.jpg
    13 Ensuite.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 209
Angel 13 - wow! Very impressive, I love the modern look and really suits the exterior of the house.

Just one small thing ... I saw the photo of the courtyard, it looks very empty. Perhaps some outdoor furniture, tables and chairs would look good here. We are coming into spring/summer so I think people will want to see how this space would work for them.

The painting on the wall with the $1 million - is that the sale price?!! :)

I'm keen to get a stylist to help pick out my furniture :p

Ok. So that was an apartment. What about for a large house with multiple living areas, bedrooms and bathrooms.

Cause that is where I would be thinking of using it.

When I looked into the cost of hiring furniture for styling I remember it being quite expensive because they charge by the item.

Maybe you could use some of your own more modern pieces and hire in the rest. Little finshing touches like candles etc you could buy yourself instead. I remember they wanted to charge $30 for 3 candles for 4 weeks.

I am currently looking at this in Perth and it will cost about $2000 per month, its not cheap.

I certainly would not be do this if the market was going gangbusters such as Syd at the moment, instead I would be asking for "expressions of interest".

Cheers
MTR

Last week we styled a couple of rooms of the house we have just finished building. We decided to do it ourselves instead of paying a stylist thousands of dollars. Some of them charge per item + $250 per hour for the styling. Plus I love interior design and decorating though am not formally trained. We used our own furniture so half our house is bare atm.

The photographer has done a great job shooting it.

There are more photos at http://www.hammerandheels.net/unvailing-bonner/

What do you think?

Love it!
Great job Angel. I adore your dining room table chairs.

I am currently looking at this in Perth and it will cost about $2000 per month, its not cheap.

I certainly would not be do this if the market was going gangbusters such as Syd at the moment, instead I would be asking for "expressions of interest".

Cheers
MTR

i have styled the last 4 properties i sold, some 100% through a company, some on my own but with help from an interior designer who does work for me and stealing stuff from my parents etc.

imo it makes a huge difference, i certainly wouldnt sell an empty place in most circumstances

ive used 740 designs and been very happy with quality of work and service but heard they have recently become a bit too expensive. i also went into a home for sale recently styled by FHSA who used to be rubbish but it was quite nice

i have styled the last 4 properties i sold, some 100% through a company, some on my own but with help from an interior designer who does work for me and stealing stuff from my parents etc.

imo it makes a huge difference, i certainly wouldnt sell an empty place in most circumstances

ive used 740 designs and been very happy with quality of work and service but heard they have recently become a bit too expensive. i also went into a home for sale recently styled by FHSA who used to be rubbish but it was quite nice

Thanks, I actually received a quote from them in June, will revisit.
The house will be empty so I believe it will make a difference as well.

I am saving on RE agent fees most quoting $16,000, my selling agent is charging $8000 so I can afford to go this well and hopefully it will pay off.

I ended up having the property styled. It wasn't cheap but well worth it. It would've been a very empty large unit without it. Once I got the quote I considered buying everything myself but it wouldn't have been any cheaper. The quality of the pieces were of much higher quality than I would've been able to afford and now the property is sold I don't have to worry about how to sell off or give away any furniture.

A few hiccups but I would do it again

It is very rare to view a place in the Inner West of Sydney without it being styled. Its so obvious to me by the photos before I even step foot inside the house. A clue is there are no white goods and there is often a big gaping hole where the fridge should be. I am amazed at how many people look at furniture and get emotional, or view an empty place and have no vision.

I engaged Guest Hire to style my IP in Sydney's South for sale ( where styling is not that common) and the agents were salivating! I didnt want to sell with the property being empty.

The contract was for 8 weeks ( pay for 1 month get 1 month free)

2 bedroom bungalow, 1 granny flat ( no outdoor included)

$3100

Full install / style and removal.

Unfortunately the style team put a very heavy mirror on my freshly painted wall, without the hook to hold that weight. I came in on the day when the photographer was arriving to find it had fallen and smashed a hole in my beautiful original wide floorboards. The photographer got the agent and I to hold the mirror up where it should have been and he photoshopped us out!! I also made sure the photographer took a photo of the kitchen at an angle that you couldnt see the hole with no fridge.

Guest Hire paid for the damages and arranged it to be fixed through my agent.

I would do it again, however I have a tip. Guest Hire viewed the property for the quote but couldnt fit us in until 5 weeks later. So we lost a good 2 weeks as we finished prep work in 3 weeks.

The house sold in about 10 days. Guest Hire again were too busy to remove the furniture early, but got it out just in time before the new owners moved in. There is no discount / refund if furniture is returned early.

Its hard to say how much extra we made out of it. $30K-$50K. The old girl (house) was looking overgrown & unloved after the final tenants, so after we scrubbed her up, how much did that add to it? The agents thought we got a great price, higher than some recent sales in better streets in the area.

Angel 13 - wow! Very impressive, I love the modern look and really suits the exterior of the house.

Just one small thing ... I saw the photo of the courtyard, it looks very empty. Perhaps some outdoor furniture, tables and chairs would look good here. We are coming into spring/summer so I think people will want to see how this space would work for them.

The painting on the wall with the $1 million - is that the sale price?!! :)

I know what you mean about the outdoor furniture, I also wanted to style the master bedroom too and we had planned to but our little girl came early and now with a brand new baby it's just too hard to move too much big furniture back and forth. We were also going to sell the house privately but again for the same reason we have appointed an agent.

Pretty cool painting isn't it.

For those interested in going down this road.... I received a quote from FHSA and a real estate agent I was going to use also requested a quote, she received a discount of close to $600.

Some real estate agents have probably negotiated special deals for their clients, no reason why you should not be able to get this.

MTR

We are currently renovating a unit in Tuart Hill to sell and wondered if it was worth styling the place. I can see the benefits of using this tactic for higher end properties but what are people's views on units around the 400k mark? Do you think it's worth it? We moved to Perth from Brisbane so haven't really purchased much stuff so we're likely to either style it or sell it empty. No point in buying furniture as were likely to be heading back to the east coast soon and don't really want to buy all new furniture if we need to sell it again.

Ems

Back