Proposed new planning rules for Brisbane

Hi, I just thought someone may be interested in this article in adaily newsletter I receive called "Architecture and Design"

"Architects in Queensland will be able to bypass council assessment for single and duplex residential homes that meet 22 criteria, if the new Sustainable Planning Act goes ahead.

Under the new law, proposals that comply with all 22 town planning requirements will be approved. Proposals that fail to comply with one or more of the requirements will have to undergo a full council assessment.

However, the proposal has been vehemently opposed by council, which has called the Act a "virtual carpet bombing" of the planning process.

"What the state government is proposing is basically planning to ride roughshod over the wishes of our residents," planning committee chair, Cr Amanda Cooper, said at a meeting this week.

Minister for Infrastructure and Planning, Stirling Hinchliffe, responded to the attacks by saying the Act will make it “easier” and “more affordable” to build a home in Queensland.

"This is astounding from a council that’s approved many hundreds of duplexes all over the city,’’ he said said.

“We respect council safeguards. In Brisbane there are 22 and if any one is triggered it leads to a full council assessment.

“That will not change.’’

This comes as Brisbane City Council yesterday voted in favour of increased density for residential developments in South Brisbane and West End.

The South Brisbane Riverside Plan identifies seven precincts, each with different maximum development heights.

Areas near old industrial sites could have buildings with up to 30 storeys, while some sites near the river are proposed to have a maximum height of 12 storeys. Sections along Montague Road could have eight storeys and a suburban hub planned for the corner of Mollison and Boundary streets could see buildings of 15 storeys.

Urban Renewal Brisbane (URB) is working on the draft plan, which will now be sent to the state government for further analysis."

Hi, I just thought someone may be interested in this article in adaily newsletter I receive called "Architecture and Design"

"Architects in Queensland will be able to bypass council assessment for single and duplex residential homes that meet 22 criteria, if the new Sustainable Planning Act goes ahead.

Under the new law, proposals that comply with all 22 town planning requirements will be approved. Proposals that fail to comply with one or more of the requirements will have to undergo a full council assessment.

However, the proposal has been vehemently opposed by council, which has called the Act a "virtual carpet bombing" of the planning process.

"What the state government is proposing is basically planning to ride roughshod over the wishes of our residents," planning committee chair, Cr Amanda Cooper, said at a meeting this week.

Minister for Infrastructure and Planning, Stirling Hinchliffe, responded to the attacks by saying the Act will make it “easier” and “more affordable” to build a home in Queensland.

"This is astounding from a council that’s approved many hundreds of duplexes all over the city,’’ he said said.

“We respect council safeguards. In Brisbane there are 22 and if any one is triggered it leads to a full council assessment.

“That will not change.’’

This comes as Brisbane City Council yesterday voted in favour of increased density for residential developments in South Brisbane and West End.

The South Brisbane Riverside Plan identifies seven precincts, each with different maximum development heights.

Areas near old industrial sites could have buildings with up to 30 storeys, while some sites near the river are proposed to have a maximum height of 12 storeys. Sections along Montague Road could have eight storeys and a suburban hub planned for the corner of Mollison and Boundary streets could see buildings of 15 storeys.

Urban Renewal Brisbane (URB) is working on the draft plan, which will now be sent to the state government for further analysis."
It's all happening in West End,i go for a walk each morning down Boundary Rd and that may explain why 40% of the comm property is up for lease-sale-tender,for the last 20 years that's how long we have held property in that small area,year in year out those properties have gone up over 14%each year,anyone who is holding lagre parcels of land no matter whats sits on the land would understand what i'm talking about,markets within markets..willair..

For me, the critical words were
"Architects in Queensland will be able to bypass council assessment for single and duplex residential homes that meet 22 criteria, if the new Sustainable Planning Act goes ahead. "

This is certainly going to make entry into small scale development just so much easier...

I will certainly be interested in doing duplex development in Brisbane if this goes ahead.

The NSW housing code allows this sort of thing for single residential but it's a matter of time before it is extended to dual occ/duplex type development. Originally when I attended the NSW Depat of Planning seminars on the new Housing Code, the word was that eventually it would be extended to multi unit development some day.

I believe that, eventually, we wont need statutory planners for anything but the most complex development applications. Being a planner will mean you focus on strategic planning only (they are the guys that make the town plans that Statutory Planners use to assess applications)

Back