Brisbane City Plan 2012 - New Planning Guidelines

With the Draft release of the new BCC City plan I will write a few posts that outline some of the proposed changes. The plan will not come into effect until 2013 but there should be only minor tweaks so it is worth considering when you are looking for a site.

Some of the City Wide Changes

- Houses can now be 9.5m in height up from 8.5m
-increased the distance from railway & busway stations for higher densities from 200m to 400m
-building height for multiple dwellings is now the higher of natural ground level or residential flood level
-halved home business code acceptable size from 100m2 to 50m2
-introduced a duplex code
-secondary dwelling of 80m2 up from 70m2
-definition of household group for secondary dwelling has changed and at first instance seems more flexible
An individual or a group of two or more related or unrelated people who reside in the dwelling, with the common intention to live together on a long-term basis and who make common provision for food or other essentials for living. The term does not include individuals living in rooming accommodation.
-includes a new small scale non-residential code looks like it is easier to put small shops/offices in resi areas on busy roads
-a significant reduction in size of rear lots

more to come

Thanks for that RPI. Maybe our double block will have more appeal to a developer once there is more money floating around.

yeah, it is going to open up thousands of more blocks.

It is also looking stricter on character residential blocks though
-new houses with contemporary interpretation using modern materials is gone
-no built to boundary walls

I have been saying this for a long time now with the limited scale of inner city land the only way is go up above 20 levels,it starting to happen already..imho..

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...out-notification/story-e6freoof-1226528636679

APPLICATIONS to demolish pre-1946 homes could be decided in secret and small lots could become easier to subdivide under changes contained in Brisbane's new Draft City Plan.

The proposals have sparked concerns about the possible "slicing and dicing" of homes in Brisbane's character suburbs and the loss of backyards following a week of heated council debate over the document.

The draft new City Plan contains provisions for the establishment of an extra 156,000 dwellings as the council area's population grows to 1.27 million by 2031, with 75 per cent of the new housing stock to emerge as a result of "infill" development.

A proposed amendment removes the need for owners applying to demolish or remove pre-1946 homes to provide public notification of their plans.

It would be a tragedy for Brisbane to lose it's inner city QLD's.

That story is a little overblown. They still need council approval, it just removes about $600 worth of advertising. Public comment carries minimal weight in the approval for demolition anyway.

Its a shame though that the dual occupancy code will require a minimum of 3000sqm to build 1 house. i cant see any new houses being built to that code, when the same land would produce 20+ townhouses.

also i noticed they are tightening up on the deifinitions relating to secondary dwelllings, which will reduce the ability to rent them seperatly from the main house.

Hughesy, that is only in low density residential. Most of inner Brisbane is LMR or Character Residential.

The Council does not like granny flats, My impression is that it is actually slightly looser, as in the have expanded the definition of household group rather than family group, but the intention to not allow separate renting is clear

Hi all,

I was going to start a new thread but after a search I guess this is the better place.

Although it is not yet known when this new draft will come into force, are there investors already searching/securing lots that are >600m2 with a view to splitting them once the 300m2 lot size is allowed? I imagine there could be a dash for the easiest/best lots (corner blocks in good location with demolish-able house?).

If so how do they know which areas/lots are likely to be approved for the smaller 300m2 size?

I'd love to learn more about this topic, if there is any more guidance out there anywhere.

I am not a developer or an investor (potential, maybe), just an interested homeowner in Holland Park West (close to busway) and have noticed a few houses for sale nearby and wondering if there is unlocked potential in the land.

Thanks for your help.

Hi T

The next update of mapping is being released on Monday. You may find that Holland Park West will be in the area that will allow 300m2 lots or even smaller. 400m walking distance to a busway station or a train station are good places to start looking. If you PM me your address I will give non-identifying feedback through here so others can see.

regards

what zones will allow for small lot (300 m2) in the new draft plan. I had a look at the maps but can't find which colour represents small lot zones. Want to check if my prop in Mt Gravatt East will allow for small lot as it sits on just over 600 m2

Hi all,

I was going to start a new thread but after a search I guess this is the better place.

Although it is not yet known when this new draft will come into force, are there investors already searching/securing lots that are >600m2 with a view to splitting them once the 300m2 lot size is allowed? I imagine there could be a dash for the easiest/best lots (corner blocks in good location with demolish-able house?).

If so how do they know which areas/lots are likely to be approved for the smaller 300m2 size?

I'd love to learn more about this topic, if there is any more guidance out there anywhere.

I am not a developer or an investor (potential, maybe), just an interested homeowner in Holland Park West (close to busway) and have noticed a few houses for sale nearby and wondering if there is unlocked potential in the land.

Thanks for your help.

I would be very surprised if you can't subdivide blocks in this area.

7.5m frontage minimum with 300m2 min land size

Gets smaller than that if they are also LMR.

Within 400m walking distance of any busway station is likely to be the limit, if there is a limit.

what zones will allow for small lot (300 m2) in the new draft plan. I had a look at the maps but can't find which colour represents small lot zones. Want to check if my prop in Mt Gravatt East will allow for small lot as it sits on just over 600 m2

It is every Low Density Residential Zone.

However, I believe that they are going to restrict them to within 400m walking distance of busway stations, railway stations or centers.

City Plan 2012 is being updated again at present, next version is due for release 6 May.
I will let you know once I have had a look.

D

Back