Prospective tenants being put off by smells

Hey everyone,
we bought an ip in Moonee Ponds, it's a 2 bedroom unit in a block of 5.
The place was all original about 40 years old, and I fully renovated it, new kitchen, bathroom, the lot. Looks fantastic. We had a great tenant from Sydney for about 2 years, but he went back home, and now we are looking for new tenants.
We had an open day, with 7 couples coming through, and the feedback the agent gave us was, great unit, but the common area smells because of strong cooking odour. So the prospective tenants are hit with this smell, and that's their first impression.

My question is, at what point can something be done, when a tenants cooking smells, impact other tenants. If you play loud music, eventually your told to turn it down.

The unit that the smells are coming from are un-renovated, so you can be sure the rangehood is just recirculating the cooking smells, instead of venting them correctly.

Would love to her your thoughts.
Scott.

Hi Scott,
I would be getting in touch with the Owners Corporation and discussing it with them. If the cooking smells from the other unit are impacting on your ability to rent out your unit then something needs to be done.

If it is owner occupied then they can approach the owner and perhaps the owner will install some better ventilation - if it is a rented unit then they will most likely contact the property manager. You may be able to get the PM's details yourself and contact them directly too.

You don't know if you don't ask!

Hey Sez,

thanks, and yes I agree. Problem is, the owners in this particular building have had the property for many years, and have not spent a cent on any capital works, they are just happy to get their $300 per week.

If we all put in $20k each, we could do so much to the building, secure gate, painting etc. And everyone would get a higher rent, and a bit more care factor from the tenant.

So I can see how stubborn the owners will be, even over putting in new kitchen extraction. :(

Scott.

Why not buy some cheap AirWick dispensers and leave them in entry to cover up smells until you have relet the unit?

They worked well in a house where I was sealing the slate floors and the floor sealer left a dreadful smell.

Chris

Why not buy some cheap AirWick dispensers and leave them in entry to cover up smells until you have relet the unit?

They worked well in a house where I was sealing the slate floors and the floor sealer left a dreadful smell.

Chris

Hey Chris,
not a bad suggestion, it's just that the smell hits you before you even get into the building!

Hey Chris,
not a bad suggestion, it's just that the smell hits you before you even get into the building!
I've been giving this some thought - why not buy the tenants where the cooking smells are coming from a good cook book, at least then you know that the smells coming from the unit will be a little more enticing!

Perhaps a baking cook book for after dinner???

Haha, thanks Sez!

I guess there are a couple of things that bug me.
1. The tenant should be allowed to cook curry, or stews, or whatever the smells are, and they should have a working rangehood with filters, vented through the roof. I walked in the foyer today at 10.30am, and it stunk (stank?)

2. The owners of the unit should maintain their unit, and not just sit back and do nothing.

3. I should be able to rent out my fully renovated unit for at least what the un-renovated units are getting! lol

Scott.

Bad Luck?

I'm not sure there's anything you can do.

Some unit complexes have common areas that have no windows or ventilation. That would probably be an easier fix than trying to effect change in the offending units.

Some styles of cuisine give off a particularly strong aroma, and a range hood doesn't change that.

I'd chock the common door open and open up any windows if possible, and just spray air freshener before inspections - but you can't really expect an agent to go there 30 mins early and do that for you.

Otherwise - you will eventually find someone who doesn't mind the smell, or can't smell it.

Matt.

Back