Public Liability Insurance

I have ordered a new kitchen from Masters. They have said that I need insurance. It will be $300 extra on their price, or they said I can go and get my own.

Is there any benefit in taking out my own policy (I will also have a glazier, carpet layer and electrician onsite at some stage of the reno.)

............. or should I take up Masters offer for convenience?

If I do arrange my own policy - is there anything that I should know or do to ensure adequate protection?

I have ordered a new kitchen from Masters. They have said that I need insurance. It will be $300 extra on their price, or they said I can go and get my own.

Is there any benefit in taking out my own policy (I will also have a glazier, carpet layer and electrician onsite at some stage of the reno.)

............. or should I take up Masters offer for convenience?

If I do arrange my own policy - is there anything that I should know or do to ensure adequate protection?

Are you sure thats not an extra 30 dollars. $ 5,000,000 liability cover only cost about $30 plus tax, for a year, per property on my policy. Look at getting you own policy.

It is more than likely that they require you to pay the home warranty insurance as the contract exceeds $20k.
Make sure this will cover all other contractors.
Public liability insurance is generally included in your building's insurance.

I was certainly quoted $300. from Masters. The total cost of the kitchen including installation is way under the $20k. It is just under $5k + appliances.

Why are they asking me to have this insurance then?

What type of insurance do I need to ask for? I called NRMA and they said they dont do insurance for tradies on my property.

We have a WorkCover Queensland (Household Worker Insurance Policy) that costs us $45 for two years.

From the back page - Definition of a Household Worker
'Household Worker' means a person employed solely in and about, or in connection with a private dwelling house or the grounds of the dwelling house. For example, a Household Workers Insurance Policy will not cover workers employed by a landlord in connection with rented houses, flats, boarding houses and the like, nor will it cover workers employed in or about a dwelling from which a business is conducted. You will need an Accident Insurance Policy to cover these workers.

We got this cover initially years ago (cannot recall why, but think it was when we renovated under owner/builder rules) and have kept it ever since.

I've always thought it covered people like a cleaner, who comes to our house on business but may not have her own insurance. I'm not sure really, but for $45 for two years, we just pay it.

Could be worth checking if these type of policy would be enough.

We have a WorkCover Queensland (Household Worker Insurance Policy) that costs us $45 for two years.

From the back page - Definition of a Household Worker
'Household Worker' means a person employed solely in and about, or in connection with a private dwelling house or the grounds of the dwelling house. For example, a Household Workers Insurance Policy will not cover workers employed by a landlord in connection with rented houses, flats, boarding houses and the like, nor will it cover workers employed in or about a dwelling from which a business is conducted. You will need an Accident Insurance Policy to cover these workers.

We got this cover initially years ago (cannot recall why, but think it was when we renovated under owner/builder rules) and have kept it ever since.

I've always thought it covered people like a cleaner, who comes to our house on business but may not have her own insurance. I'm not sure really, but for $45 for two years, we just pay it.

Could be worth checking if these type of policy would be enough.

Dont think that policy covers bussiness activitys conducted within a private residence.

Back