public liability insurance

We are about to settle on our first IP and met with the real-estate agent who is going to handle the rental.
She mentioned – according to QLD law we have to get Public liability insurance that have a min. cover of 10M dollars.
Is the public liability insurance generally part of the Landlord insurance or do you get it from separate insurers?

Thanks

Johk

It comes with building insurance. It also comes with Landlord Insurance.

So if you don't have building insurance (as when you have a unit) you will need Landlord Insurance. The building insurance on a unit (that the BC takes out) only covers common areas.

You can get public liability insurance separately as a few years back I was in a situation where the buildings insurance I had covered the liability but it was not a high enough amount of cover so I had to buy a separate policy. In most cases you will get buildings insurance with the appropriate liability insurance automatically and you won't need anything else. Check your policy carefully though.

Thanks for your responses.

The property is part of a Duplex with a body corporate.
I had a quick look and for example with Suncorp you caninclude a Public Liabilty insurance that covers up to 20M dollars.
wylie;
What do you mean it comes with your regular insuance?

Thanks,
Jonas

Thanks for your responses.

The property is part of a Duplex with a body corporate.
I had a quick look and for example with Suncorp you caninclude a Public Liabilty insurance that covers up to 20M dollars.
wylie;
What do you mean it comes with your regular insuance?

Thanks,
Jonas

Body Corp insurance only covers common areas. You need to have your own for your own property.

I assume Wilie means building insurance.

Back