Purchasing in VIC - Frankston Area #2

There is a lot of value information by every one posting here on Frankston, Frankston North and Frankston South.

My problem is there post for and against agents, price fixing etc make this thread a little difficult to read.

Hopefully all those points have been fully covered and there can be more information on where to buy, how to buy, property analysis, good agents and every thing else.

calm waters

Manly doesn't have a major hospital or a world-class university with post grad students coming in from all over the world. And thank goodness for the lack of surf in Frankston - we don't need penniless surfies hanging around the area smoking weed and driving hotted up cars. Most families, not to mention yachties, prefer calmer waters. It will be families and retirees which will lift up Frankston.

Spiderman: so where do you invest? You spend so much time giving us advice it'd be nice if you could tell us what you are doing with your own money?

And thank goodness for the lack of surf in Frankston - we don't need penniless surfies hanging around the area smoking weed and driving hotted up cars.

Many people would already say Frankston has its share of these people ......hanging around the area smoking weed and driving hotted up cars. Though they may not be surfies - more likely on Rudds Welfare payroll.

Frankston does have a higher than average number of residents on benefits. Have you seen the Magistrates court and the CES (Commonwealth employment Service) office on a prominent position on the hill accross the road from the council office.

Newhigh/yacktiefrankston - looks like you got done hook line and sinker from that Frankston Agent. Triple in 7 years. Sounds FAR fetched. Good luck. I would be keen on that but very UNLIKELY to happen.

My problem is there post for and against agents, price fixing etc make this thread a little difficult to read.

Yeah, agree, and it's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard - price fixing by agents. :rolleyes:

I've been one. Hated it.

Agents are there to broker a deal. That means; conditioning the sellers DOWN, pushing the buyers UP.

Hopefully, there is a meeting in the middle.

As well as this, you've got the seller trying to push the price UP, and the buyer trying to drag the price DOWN.

How can an agent possibly control the price, especially over a whole City?

Let's have some adult common-sense people.

free valuation appraisals from high school dropouts

The only people who dont acknowledge that price baiting and manipulation are taking place are agents or former agents or those people trying to curry favor with agents in the vain hope of getting a bargain from some unfortunate, uninformed granny.

I concur. Bayview you admitted on this thread that your former real estate boss pretended to sell one of his own houses for a knockdown price, so he could attract potential buyers for his other listings. You are to be congratulated for exposing this scam. This is a widespread practice. Coming from a legal background I feel qualified to say that the courts would label what you described as a form of price manipulation. And Blind Freddy could tell you it is bait advertising at its worst. Either way it is illegal.
Be assured the authorities are showing a keen interest on the activities of a few agents who are getting uninformed grannies to sell at firesale prices.

Local people are angry at being diddled by agents who have no formal university-level valuation or land economics expertise. It is incredible that real estate salespeople who haven't finished high school often give us "advice" on the worth of our most important asset - our homes?! We don't need to be insulted by the likes of Funkysouth, who has admitted to being a salesman, and others who want us to sell our homes for a pittance. Do any of you salesmen have post grad qualifications in economics or land valuation? What gives you the right to tell us what our homes are potentially worth when you people use bait advertisements and other scams to manipulate market expectations? Sorry, we don't trust you.

My wife & I worked hard to afford to retire here. We have a low opinion of the local real estate community in Frankston and surrounds. The salesmen we dealt with in Manly (Sydney) where we last lived were a lot more professional. They never used scaremongering tactics to persuade grannies to sell their homes at fire-sale prices.

The only people who dont acknowledge that price baiting and manipulation are taking place are agents or former agents or those people trying to curry favor with agents in the vain hope of getting a bargain from some unfortunate, uninformed granny.

I concur. Bayview you admitted on this thread that your former real estate boss pretended to sell one of his own houses for a knockdown price, so he could attract potential buyers for his other listings. You are to be congratulated for exposing this scam. This is a widespread practice. Coming from a legal background I feel qualified to say that the courts would label what you described as a form of price manipulation. And Blind Freddy could tell you it is bait advertising at its worst. Either way it is illegal.
Be assured the authorities are showing a keen interest on the activities of a few agents who are getting uninformed grannies to sell at firesale prices.

Local people are angry at being diddled by agents who have no formal university-level valuation or land economics expertise. It is incredible that real estate salespeople who haven't finished high school often give us "advice" on the worth of our most important asset - our homes?! We don't need to be insulted by the likes of Funkysouth, who has admitted to being a salesman, and others who want us to sell our homes for a pittance. Do any of you salesmen have post grad qualifications in economics or land valuation? What gives you the right to tell us what our homes are potentially worth when you people use bait advertisements and other scams to manipulate market expectations? Sorry, we don't trust you.

My wife & I worked hard to afford to retire here. We have a low opinion of the local real estate community in Frankston and surrounds. The salesmen we dealt with in Manly (Sydney) where we last lived were a lot more professional. They never used scaremongering tactics to persuade grannies to sell their homes at fire-sale prices.

Yachtie,

It is not a scam; it is perfectly legal "bait" advertising, and as I've already said; done by millions of businesses all over the world in many different industries. If you think it only happens in real estate you are very naiive.

You're getting all worked up over nothing.

I agree that agents aren't licensed valuers etc, but they don't need to be.

If they are working in the industry for a decent length of time - say, 6 months, they will know the values of the properties reasonably well by then.

Ask any serious investor how long it takes them to learn the vals of a particular area they are scrutinising for their next purchase - it'll be about one month of their time.

Then what happens is, someone calls up 4 agents, and says "can you come around and have a look at my house because I want to sell it, and can you tell me what it's worth?"

So then all the agents come around; they all know there are other agents booked in for a similar meeting with the Vendor.

Basically, they are all competing for the listing, and this may shock you to know, but all these agents will probably drum up the probable asking price the house is worth so they can secure the listing. So, they are inflatingn the asking price - not decreasing it. Of course; they know the real market values is somewhere below this.

Then, the Vendor selects one of the liars, and that agent then proceeds to try and get all his buyers to make offers up to the Vendor's asking price.

Of course, this doesn't often happen unless you are a FHB with a time limit, so they try and crunch the Vendor down, and the agent is there happily assisting the crunch process in order to make a sale and get some food money.

Occasionally you will get a granny caught up in the funny stuff, but serves her right; if she has wandered through life living in a cocoon and knows nothing of the world, then that's what you get.

It's a miniscule percent of the market in play, so can we now move on.

You're a cracked record and no-one is listening anymore I'd say (other than me - but I'll argue till the cows come home - nothing else to do).

Last edited:
Thanks Frankstonite, I have just spoken to Frankston Council and they have confirmed that completion is expected by November this year.

Toni

Lilli, I personally would not do it. I've been told by agents that renters want houses - which makes sense. Units are great in the inner city suburbs where people want to be close to cafes & amenities etc. That kind of inner urban living does not suit Frankston IMO. I'm sure the rent on a normal unit would be low& maybe the people who want to rent a unit could not afford a house. This would worry me, as I'm pretty sure you can still rent a house for $200.

What are people's thoughts on purchasing units in Frankston if you can't afford a house?

I dont agree with Ms Jade

I did a review of the two properties i own in South Frankston. Both 2 bed units, One is in Nolan St, the other in George St. Both walking distance to the proposed harbour.

Both bought in 1999 for $95k. Now worth between $270k to $300k. No work done, not even a lick of paint. Ok, I did replace the carport in George St.

Thank you for feedback on purchasing units in the Frankston area. What about areas such as Karingal for a cheaper house then??

I dont agree with Ms Jade

I did a review of the two properties i own in South Frankston. Both 2 bed units, One is in Nolan St, the other in George St. Both walking distance to the proposed harbour.

Both bought in 1999 for $95k. Now worth between $270k to $300k. No work done, not even a lick of paint. Ok, I did replace the carport in George St.

I agree with Toony.

My units in Karingal have been quite easy to let and have never been vacant for more than a week, each year on average. Plenty of singles/ single parent/ retirees driving the rental market for units.

Frankston Sth units are naturally more desirable and command higher rent/ competition.

Although tenant quality in Frankston has been our biggest "investment-journey" challenge ...... even more so than us locking-in interest rates for majority of our portfolio at around 8% for 5 years !!

Harris

Although tenant quality in Frankston has been our biggest "investment-journey" challenge ...... even more so than us locking-in interest rates for majority of our portfolio at around 8% for 5 years !!

Harris

Hi Harris,

Great to see your posting again! I got stuck with locking rates in too - but at the time rates were moving up very quickly!

Would be interested to hear more about your experience with tenant quality in Frankston.

We still have our houses in Frankston. One has a fantastic tenant - pays properly each month. The other is ok, but pays week by week. Can get frustrating at times.

Regards Jason.

not much good press for frankston lateley,
another one from a few hours ago!

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,27574,25649759-2862,00.html
Man holds police at bay in Frankston North

BREAKING NEWS: A SIEGE is underway in Frankston North with a possibly armed man holding police at bay in a suburban street.
Police cars have surrounded the home along the Frankston-Dandenong Rd, as members of the heavily-armed critical incident response team also taking up positions.

* Your pics: Email your pictures
* Mobile pics or video MMS to 0404 333 444
* Contact our news desk on (03) 9292 1226

Police spokeswoman Julianne Newman said this afternoon the man had been holed up on his own in the house since about 11.30am.

She said no surrounding homes had been evacuated.

“We don’t feel there is any threat to them at this stage.”

Police spokeswoman Julianne Newman said this afternoon the man had been holed up on his own in the house since about 11.30am.

She said no surrounding homes had been evacuated.

“We don’t feel there is any threat to them at this stage.”

Hopefully he is not the tenant of any one here. Getting back rent owed when your tenant is dead or in jail would be difficult and you have to go through the trouble of finding a new one.

Vacancy Rates

Interesting to see that vacancy rates in Frankston North are around 0.7% compared to Frankston at 3.3% using March 2009 vacancy rates at http://www.sqmresearch.com.au

There is not a big difference in rent rates for the two areas. Makes buying IP in Frank N more attractive.

What are other peoples thoughts on this?

Back