Purchasing in VIC - Frankston Area

There is an article on pg 16 of the independent newspaper Frankston , dated 16th September. I heard from council myself.

Thanks LEFKAS7, I have a copy of the Independent now and will type the article out for all to see as follows:-

State nod for marina plan - The Independent, Tuesday, September 16 2008

THE State Government has backed Frankston Council's revised plans for a marina at Olivers Hill.

In doing so, the Government overturns the ruling of a previous planning minister who said the marina could not include a dry boat storage area. Acting Planning Minister Richard Wynne yesterday said the project as proposed by the Council "demonstrates the right balance between design excellence and ensuring Frankston's beaches will be protected".

The council's plan outlined late last year to the Government's Priority Development Panel includes breakwaters, boat ramps, dual landing platforms, up to 300 permanent wet berths, 30-day and overnight public moorings and a boat-wash down and refuelling area. It also proposed short-stay accommodation, outdoor recreation facilities, shops and a ferry terminal.

The preferred development model reclaims 22 hectares predominantly over the seabed of Port Phillip in front of the Olivers Hill Cliff.

"These plans make the most of Frankston's outstanding location on Port Phillip and will help establish the area as a boating and leisure centre," Mr. Wynne said. "The council's plans also set a benchmark for environmental performance of future development on Port Phillip. Olivers Hill is an iconic coastal location and the safe boat harbour will be a public facility with accessibility to all.

"The project shows how important it is for the Brumby Government to work closely with local councils to ensure people and communities are at the heart of planning decisions."

Toni

Frankston Council Media Release

The Frankston Safe Boat Harbour is set to become a reality with the State Government giving the project the green light on Monday, 15 September.

Acting Planning Minister richard Wynne has endorsed Council's preferred Development Model (PDM) for the facility and will make the necessary amendments to the Frankston Planning Scheme to enable its construction.
"This project demonstrates the right balance between design excellance and ensuring Frankton's beaches will be protected," mr Wynne said.

"These plans make the most of Frankston's outstanding location on Port Phillip Bay and will help establish the area as a boating and leisure centre. The council's plans also set a benchmark for enviromental performance of future development on Port Phillip Bay.

"And most importantly will deliver a brand new space for community members and visitors to enjoy. Olivers Hill is an iconic coastal location and the Safe Boat will be a public facility with accessibility to all."

Frankston's City Chief Executive Officer George Modrich welcomed the decision, saying it was a step in the right direction to continue Frankston's transformation into a regional capital on the bay. "A Safe Boat Habour would enhance Frankton's role as a regional city and tourism destination. and create enormous possibilities for local businesses, in particular tourism, recreation and retail industries," he said.

"It will go a long way to complement our vibrant Frankston Waterfront in which more than $15 million has been invested."

Council worked closely with the State Government to finalise the PDM, which highlighted additional elements considered necassary to ensure the project's viability. These included removing restrictions on vessel and berth sizes, increasing floor space for commercial facilities, (i.e. boat repairs, food, marine retail), provision of dry boat storage and inclusion of short-stay accommodation.

"Now the Planning Minister has given the harbour the go ahead, Council can continue to making the project a reality," Mr Modrich said.

At its 6 October Ordinary Meeting, Council is set to consider adopting a time frame, outlining the final steps needed to deliver the project. "At this stage it is anticipated tender could be invited as early as February 2009 and the facility could be in operation by 2011, subject to securing an acceptable bid which complies with all relevent planning controls," Mr Modrich said.

Mayor Alistair Wardle said, "Council has a non-negotiable position that the safe boat harbour development will not cause any damage to Frankston Beach and surrounds. This is reinforced in the proposed amendments to the planning scheme which requires the successful developer to do initial concept designs that have to be tested to environmental impacts before commencing the detailed master design for the facility."

'In addition Council will continue to advocate for State Government to fund the stabilisation works at Olivers Hill."

ends.

Very positive article on Frankston in the May edition of Australian Property Investor. It looks like people are catching on... Hope I can snag another house before prices go up too high

Foreshore "has it all" - Frankston Leader 22/9/08

Frankston Beach has won a national gong in the 2008 Australian Clean Beaches Awards. Frankston foreshore won the Heritage and Culture award at the Keep Australia Beautiful awards announced in Sydney last week.

Frankston also received an overall encouragement award in the Cleanest Beach title, which went to Townsville's The Strand. Mayer Alistair Wardle attended the awards and clocktail party at the Crowne Plaza Hotel at Coogee Beach.

Judge Chris Tola said the Frankston foreshore focused on the region's "rich cultural tapestry".

When judging the 5km stretch of foreshore last June, Mr. Tola said Frankston "had it all". "It's a great beach, a fantastic beach actually... It has got it all: boat launching, the pier, restaurants, Coast Guard, yacht and lifesaving clubs, a great playground, well-protected foreshore, a great new boardwalk and a tourist information centre, and just a walk for the centre of the city."

Other winners in the national titles included Tathra beach in NSW (Community Action and Environmental innovation), Scarborough in WA (Litter Prevention and Resource Recovery), and Freers Beach in Tasmania (community Partnership). Frankston was named Victoria's Cleanest and Friendliest Beach last May in the statewide Clean Beach Challenge, pipping the 2006 Victorian winner, Balnarring - which was also named Australia's Cleanest Beach last year

Thats good news, anyone else here own Property in Frankston North?

Yes got in about 6 months ago at the peak of the prices:eek:

Still, I am very happy with the investment and am quite confident that the area will improve quite a bit in the next few year. I grew up in Rosebud and always had a negative image of the 'Pines' etc but having spent a bit of time there now i can see the many positives. Not least of all the prices!

As long as you find a good tenant i cannot forsee any major issues with the area as an investment opportunity.

9 rentals available on RE.com today with the lowest rental being $195 per week. I noticed a stat somewhere showing 0.6% vacancy in Frankston Nth(i think it was the latest API mag). Good times for increasing yields:D. Should make riding out the storm a little more palatable.

9 rentals available on RE.com today with the lowest rental being $195 per week. I noticed a stat somewhere showing 0.6% vacancy in Frankston Nth(i think it was the latest API mag). Good times for increasing yields:D. Should make riding out the storm a little more palatable.

for those who noticed.

Fr south prices drops around 20k (mine is) since i bought start of the year. but rental seems to have increase another $10/week (from $310) on a standard 3/2/2 house

so it will be rent another review when contract is over.

Felt sorry for the tenant. but that is how we are treated when we rent as well.

Hi,

I purchased our first IP at the start of the year in Frankston renting to a 'nice young couple'. Well this nice young couple decided that they didn't want to pay rent anymore, so after the PM persisted for 2 weeks to get in contact with them, she ended up issuing a notice to vacate - during one of her attempts to contact the couple she noticed through the blinds that there was no furniture in the house and they had actually abandoned the property! She has since spent the last week and a half at VCAT! What an experience to go through so early into the game! Let's hope this property investing improes from here! The PM has been great and I do not know what I would have done without her. I had even met the tenants myself and they seemed quite nice - the nerve of some people....

Hi,

I purchased our first IP at the start of the year in Frankston renting to a 'nice young couple'. Well this nice young couple decided that they didn't want to pay rent anymore, so after the PM persisted for 2 weeks to get in contact with them, she ended up issuing a notice to vacate - during one of her attempts to contact the couple she noticed through the blinds that there was no furniture in the house and they had actually abandoned the property! She has since spent the last week and a half at VCAT! What an experience to go through so early into the game! Let's hope this property investing improes from here! The PM has been great and I do not know what I would have done without her. I had even met the tenants myself and they seemed quite nice - the nerve of some people....

Hi Lilli, Sorry to hear what has happened to you, it's not a very nice experience to go through. Same thing happened to us 9 years ago with our first investment property, only ours left leaving an interesting character behind, who was not on the lease, for us to deal with. All worked out in the end.

Welcome to the world of investing. Rest assured though, there are some great tenants out there. I now only choose people who have positive rental history (through an agent).

Toni

same thing happened to me with my first ip 2 months ago,
old lady was disabled and the lease was up for renewal. then get a phone call from RE saying we have just been to unit and the old bag did a runner taken light fittings and left it really messy. with a month left on lease so still waiting on VCAt and crap.

Definately a pain in the **** she in there for two years always ahead on rent then all of sudden just does runner!

Hi guys. With the new Freeway that is being built that connects the end of Eastlink to Mount Martha, how do you think this will affect Frankston? I'm thinking it may actually work against it as these "nicer" areas will now be more accessible and one would not even have to pass through Frankston to get home. Ie, less travel time, no ferrels, etc

Or will it work for Franga's. Thought's please?

Frankston is the #1 undervalued suburb in Victoria

A letter a rec'd today from a local agent. Haven't seen the article that he is referring to. Has anyone else? Will try to get a copy.

Toni

Properties for Sale Properties for Lease Sales Inspection Times Lease Inspection Times Upcoming Auctions
17-Oct-2008

Frankston is the #1 undervalued suburb in Victoria
Dear Toni,

Welcome to this weeks "Market Update". At Bayside Residential we like to keep our valued Customers/Clients informed about the Frankston Real Estate Market, thus the reason for this Newsletter.

Frankston is rated at number one for undervalued suburbs in the state of Victoria.

Major infrastructure upgrades and increase in commercial development (in Frankston) are driving steady growth in property values. - Herald Sun, October 11, 2008

Below you'll find our current or New Listings. If you click on the "MORE" button next to the property of interest it will link you to the listing on www.realestate.com.au, and from there you can search for properties all around Australia.

Regards

Bayside Residential Real Estate
03 9781 0088
[email protected]

Back