Purchasing in VIC - Frankston Area

jingo, I shared the same experience as you with the above property management organisation with the name that start with "Mornington". The issue I have with them is difficult to believe. Unfortunately the post was deleted by the forum moderator.

I last spoken to Andrew Milne 1.5 year ago, LOL. He had told me he was a Frankston High boy and therefore highly recommending that I buy somewhere around the high school zone.

which is not a bad suggestion isn't it?

I've also not had great dealings with that real estate on the rental side. On the sales side, they seem to be ok.

I would also suggest to you Frankston High School Zone, but beach side of highway, as the zonings are subject to change and that is the safest place to be as far as zonings go.

Happy investing!;)

Toni

I'm interested in investing into the Frankston High School Zone and have been looking around the area, in particular around Foot Street and the surrounding streets, for eg. from Vera St right down to say, Sycamore Rd. However, I am confused as to the use of the suburb "Frankston" versus "Frankston South" in this area.

There are the obvious Frankston and Frankston South areas.

Then there is what I call the 'grey area' because I get mixed feedback from agents.
For example, I have seen houses on Mincha Street advertised as Frankston South as well as Frankston. However, when I spoke to the Council, they said to follow the faded blue borders on the Melway (map 102). So Foot Street and Towerhill Rd is the border. Streets such as Mincha, Verner, Murawa are Frankston. Streets such as Baileyana, Genista etc are Frankston South.

I'd be interested to hear other's thoughts on this.

Also, want your opinion as to whether this house is reasonably priced? Seems pricey to me.
http://www.realestate.com.au/realestate/vic/mornington+peninsula/kunyung/104222897

Thanks!

As far as buying in the right area of Frankston South goes, the map is not as important. Real Estate agents and local buyers consider the area Beach side Moorooduc, ending at Davey Street true Frankston South. The defined area for the Frankston High School Zone is probably more important, due to the fact that not only are you in Frankston South, but also in Frankston High School Zone. The cut off for this zone is Lawson (refer to the Frankston High School website).

The reason people prefer to be in the zone is because it is easier to rent out, it demands a higher rent and higher price tag when you are ready to sell.

My only warning for this is that accross the Moorooduc there are areas being sold as Frankston South as they are currently in the zone for Frankston High School, but this zoning is subject to change, so better to stick beach side of the highway if it's a long term investment.

The Foot Street end to Sycamore is very popular and always will be, because it is walking distance to the Frankston High School, shops, uni, transport, City of Frankston and beach.

Great Location!

Hope I have explained it.

Toni

Last edited:
Foot Street at the moment is getting a little expensive, look around the surrounding streets as that demand will spread very soon to those streets as well. I have seen that house, it is very run down. I haven't been in the market place for a house for at least 2 months and alot has changed since then. Harris would probably be the better one to comment.

An article from the Independent Newspaper this week. If there are any interesting articles in the local papers as I get them, I will post them, just to keep everyone updated.

"Designs for the Kananook Creek Boulevard are now available for comment. The designs suggest a boulevard where residents and visitors can relax, opening up possibilities for riverside dining and cafes.

The beautification aims to make the most of the area, better linking the Frankston City Centre with the Kananook Creek waterway, which is a treasured natural asset, according to the Frankston Mayor Glen Aitken.

Frankston is emerging as a prominent bayside capital with a very strong future and people are starting to realise what a desirable place this is to live.

The waterfront is Frankston's most prominent asset and it is important council receives feedback of these proposals so that any development enhances the community's use of the area.

Initial discussions with neighbouring landowners and occupiers have been held, with construction likely to start in 2009. The concept plans can be viewed at the Frankston Library, Civic Centre and other Council customer service centres, or downloaded from www.frankston.vic.gov.au until December 21.

Toni

Warning to Drug Users

Another article in the same papers reports that sniffer dogs and 18 uniform and plain-clothed officers combed the city of Frankston for 8 hours and found 50 people who had taken drugs in the last 4 days. Sniffer dogs have incredibly sensitive noses and can detect the slightest traces of illegal drugs.

This operation will continue in Frankston and surrounding suburbs for the next 5 months.

This might annoy a few people!:D

Toni

Anyone have any opinions on what this place would be worth? They have a starting price at auction of 190,000 plus but I would have thought it would be more around 250,000? Are they dramatically underquoting to get more interest? It needs a huge amount of work and there is a lot of asbestos roofing in the place. it's a one bedroom house but with a lot of work you could fix up a room to be a second bedroom.

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bi...=&fmt=&header=&c=19592252&s=vic&tm=1196374305

IMHO just because it starts at 190.000 dosnt mean it wont end on 250k?

auction these days is a bit like ebay ... someone will just keep bidding to win and then have a buyers remorse afterwards!

I just had a visit from an agent claiming to have a new system how to sell the property at the best price for the vendor "botany park real estate" and cost was 3%+gst incl. everything .... is this cheap or expensive ?

and he was very eager to sell my house for $230k ... but i dont want to sell even if i was offered 250 hehe.. just wanted a valuation. my house is finally starting to look like i wanted it to be ..so why sell? hehe.

thanx for reading!

GG Jr.

An article from this Weeks leader reads as follows:-

The Peninsula Centre could lose its status as Frankston's tallest building under newly gazetted planning controls from Frankston's central activities area.

Developer Asia Pacific Building Corporation wants the 47m-high structure, which it plans to convert to a hotel, to remain Frankston's highest building, but new official height limits give no guarantee.

Recently gazetted State Government planning controls have set flexible maximum heights for almost all of central Frankston.

The maximum height is 12m but developers will have opportunities to seek higher buildings. New developments near Frankston's train-bus interchange can rise up to 40m under the new overlay - 7m short of the Peninsula Centre - and possibly go higher.

The Government is encouraging housing developments for thousands of dwellers within the CAD of Frankston - a declared Transit City under the Melbourne 2025 planning blueprint.

The new design controls are in a recently gazetted planning overlay, into which Frankston Council had some input.

The overlay exempts developers from having to notify the public of certain new CAD works. It also gives discretion to allow or disallow third-party objections on a project-by-project basis.

Asia Pacific Building Corporation is behind the $80million Peninsula Centre hotel project and managing director Will Deague said it would soon seek its planning permit.

"From a selfish point of view, we'd like ours to always be the highest building," Mr. Deague said. We've expressed this to the Government, that the height limits should be at the discretion of the council.

"I'd like Frankston to have tall buildings and high (population) density.

"Frankston would stand out, be set apart from surrounding suburbs, but it has to be architecturally pleasing and done right," Mr. Deague said. Frankston state Labor MP Alistair Harkness said an applicatnt could seek to go above the new maximum in any CAD precinct, except Kananook Creek, but it needed to meet specified design requirements.

"The application would also be assesseed against state and local policy, as well as the design ojectives and decision guidelines of the zones and overlay controls," he said.

Toni

Hope for harbour nod

Another article in the same paper this week reads as follows:-

Frankston Council hopes it and the State Government will reach agreement "early next year" on a type of harbour suitable for Frankston.

They are in talks seeking a "preferred development model".

Agreement would help make the council ready to seek developer expressions of interest in the harbour.

Council acting Chief executive officer George Modrich said the council-goverment talks took into account the results of 2006 council "market sounding".

This sounding gathered views from marina firms about desirable tenure, management systems, viability, risks, plans and other harbour issues.

It found a harbour, as proposed, would be commercially unviable as a private or private-public project.

Rezoned Olivers Hill and nearby waters - the harbour's intended location - includes no dry boat storage.

This exclusion has helped fuel doubts about the project's profitability. But council is expected to fight for its inclusion.

The State Government has not announced financial support for the harbour at this stage. This is despite the Victorian boating industry's peak body saying it was badly needed for bay boaters requiring protection from fast-forming storms.

Toni

Frankston By-pass

Does anyone know anything about the Frankston By-pass. The end of the Frankston freeway is already a mess. Imagine what it will be like when Eastlink is finished.

Does anyone know what is proposed? Have locals started to hassle the local members of Parliament?

Bypass dilemma

Another Article from this weeks paper:

Authorities are torn between building a 17km - 100km/h Frankston Bypass from Carrum Downs to Mt. Eliza or a 25km route extending to Mt. Martha.

A body investigating the bypass has reduced from 20 to three the options for a bypass to ease traffic congestion and is asking for public comment.

One option is a freeway from Carrum Downs to Mt. Martha, following land reserved in the 1960s for such a project.

About 60 percent of the land is already State Government-owned.

A second option is a freeway along the existing reserve to Mt. Eliza combined with upgrading the Moorooduc Highway to a freeway to Mt. Martha.

The third option is a freeway along the existing reserve to Mt. Eliza, connecting to the existing Moorooduc Highway at its lower speed limits.

All three options include the originally planned route passing through Frankston North's Pines Flora and Fauna Reserve.

Investigating body the South East Integrated Transport Authority (SEITA) said the reserve was one of seven key areas of potential impact being investigated in a $5 million Environment Effects Study for the State Government.

Studies are well under way into the reserve's significant species, such as the Southern Brown Bandicoot.

Other potential impacts being assessed include the impact on retirement complex Village Baxter through which the original route runs.

SEITA's Bruno Aleksic said the investigation would look at minimising disruption to local traffic and residents including slight freeway or road design variations.

Mr. Aleksic said 17 other options, not released to the public, included various upgrades of the existing Frankston freeway alternative entry points to the bypass corridor via new or upgraded existing roads, upgrades to McClelland Drive and bridges over congested areas and tunnels under sensitive areas, such as the Pines reserve.

When public comment closes on December 14 SEITA will further investigate options, identify preferences and seek community comment again in April or May next year.

Mr. Aleksic said making freeways of Moorooduc Highway, Nepean Highway or McClelland Drive would involve significant acquisition of private property.

Toni

Bandicoots - are they good for Ugg boots? I would have thought the locals would have wiped them out by now.

Any word on the impact of the footy club and parking for the locals?

Nic.

Bandicoots - are they good for Ugg boots? I would have thought the locals would have wiped them out by now.

Any word on the impact of the footy club and parking for the locals?

Nic.

To the first question; Apparently Not!:rolleyes:

To the second; Nothing in this weeks paper, will need to do a little more research on that one.:D

Toni

hmm should i get worried here and sell my house ? .. i live 10 Meters! from the pines reserve! ... i wonder whats that going to do to my house value .. go up or go down ? or nothing?

could someone also tell me how much yield should a rental ip give before its a good deal ? ... if you buy in a "low growth" area like werriibiee you want so yield to pay the mortage right?

Qoute: All three options include the originally planned route passing through Frankston North's Pines Flora and Fauna Reserve.

maybe the government will buy my house to build this road? .. i hope they'll pay me well :)

Bypass

More information about the Bypass can be found on www.seita.com.au I was told no home would be removed in the Frankston North region, but more information can be sought from this site.

Hope this helps Gordon.

Toni

Back