Purchasing in VIC - Frankston Area

My goodness Harris, I certainly was not expecting that tirade. I didn't know that I was having an argument and certainly that was not my intention. As I stated, I was just giving my opinion - however "ill formed" you deem it to be.
It's obvious that I am not a sophisticated investor, unlike yourself, and I agree with you that living here is not helpful to being objective. I grant you that my perception is clouded from seeing what goes on from day to day.
I also agree that I should obviously put up my rents! I didn't mean to be misleading by quoting dollar figures. Over the past 18-24 mths I have been able to raise Frankston rents up to 9% cf: Inner Melbourne 20-30%. Quite possibly those rents were too low to begin with but that wasn't my impression from PMs. I'm very interested to know what kind of property you are renting out in Nolan St & whether you've had any vacancy? (PM me if you'd prefer).

I have been talking up Frankston ever since moving here to anyone who will listen, mostly because of the eyebrow-raising I have encountered every time I tell someone where I live(!).
Within the context of our agreement that Frankston is a FABULOUS place & should have great medium-term CG potential AND that everyone & their dog should get down here & help push up my valuations ;), may I humbly offer the following OPINION to people from out of the area reading this thread:

- Frankston is 40km from the CBD. The CAD is terribly run down despite plans to "beautify" it that I've been hearing for years now. There have been great improvements with the expanded Frankston Central shopping centre but the main Nepean Hwy thoroughfare is really ugly. I am sure that it is inevitable but even the much-touted development of the eyesore Peninsula Centre by Jamie Durie et al fell through. :(

- I disagree with Harris that Karingal is as nice a place as most middle-ring suburbs closer to town. If I go shopping in Karingal Hub (admittedly have not done this for a couple of years), I am in no danger of thinking that my fellow shoppers could have been transplanted from Chadstone or even Knox City or Eastland.

- In my life I have never heard of Bentleigh & Highett having a worse reputation that Frankston. Would be interested to know other Melbournians perception of this. I believe that the Pakenham line has now overtaken the Frankston line for crime but there is a reason why a police station had to be set up directly opposite the train station. There is also a reason why Frankston Magistrates Court had a special domestic violence unit set up. I am sure that things are changing for the better, and I dearly hope they are, but last I heard the area had the dubious honour of being the domestic violence capital of Victoria. The karingal area has been singled out for special 3 year Federal Gov't community crime prevention program.
Other positive initiatives include the safe taxi ranks in central Frankston now manned with security guards & monitored with CCTV, the "anti-hoon hotline", etc.

I guess when Karingal is 300k+ it makes me wonder what that means for Marylands/Frankston East/Frankston Central/Frankston Heights/Frankston Sth. I agree that there should be a flow-on effect to these other areas & buying for $340k in Frankston Sth is looking like a relative bargain! Karingal is regarded as a high rental area, so that's why my perception is that it's we investors who are creating a lot of the demand (seeing it's this area & Frankston Nth which are moving first).

Like most people I am getting antsy about the safe boat harbour. I believe the council has called for expressions of interest from the private sector for the second time (Don't know what happened the first time!) and I hope the private sector comes to the party. All of these things are changing Frankston for the better and IMO the pluses of living here outweigh the negatives. But it is what it is. . . As I said, I have made the exact same points as Harris about the pluses of Frankston and I believe them or I never would have moved here & invested here. All i wanted to say is that if you are interstate and wondering why is Frankston so cheap, there are reasons. That doesn't mean that we should focus on the negatives - just be realistic about why people are not exactly fleeing other suburbs to live in Karingal just yet.
Needless to say, this is not meant to be RIGHT - just an opinion.:)

interesting to hear of the mentone to frankston move toony :)

i've spent the last 15 years in beaumaris ... and there is not much more than travel time (+25mins on a city train ride) holding me back from moving into my first purchase in karingal!

speaking of infrastructure ... what other regions have standout infrastructure projects? (what resources are the most common for somersoft users)

I was looking at houses in Beaumaris last week end. When the kids are at secondary school I want to move back to Parkdale/Mentone and maybe Beaumaris.

But the thing about Beaumaris is. There is no decent beach. There is no railway station so you need two cars. So to me, I would rather spend the same money and live beachside Mentone/Parkdale and be near a decent beach and railway station.

Last Sunday I ran along Nepean Hwy from Aspendale to Patterson river. It took me 40 mins to run that far then I walked home along the beach which took another 50-60 mins. As I was walking I was thinking how good is this? How much is this worth? Why do so little use it?

I better shut up and keep it to myself!!!!

My goodness Harris, I certainly was not expecting that tirade. I didn't know that I was having an argument and certainly that was not my intention. As I stated, I was just giving my opinion - however "ill formed" you deem it to be.

I didnt intend my reply to be a tirade... it was a clinical analysis for some very vague statements you made. I understand that it was your opinion . I only countered your opinions with my opinion/s backed by my personal past experience in investing and some facts.

I'm very interested to know what kind of property you are renting out in Nolan St & whether you've had any vacancy? (PM me if you'd prefer).

Its a 5/6 bedroom house near the corner of Esplanade. Infact just realised that I have only 2 properties in Frankston rented at under $250pw (both in Frankston Nth) and the rest close to or above $300pw. Another one on Banyan dve is rented at $330pw, $360pw on Ellis St, Wangarra Rd at $380pw.

I disagree with Harris that Karingal is as nice a place as most middle-ring suburbs closer to town. If I go shopping in Karingal Hub (admittedly have not done this for a couple of years), I am in no danger of thinking that my fellow shoppers could have been transplanted from Chadstone or even Knox City or Eastland.

I dont live in Frankston but I have driven through each street of Karingal probably more than 100 times in the last 18 months. I have a very objective view of comparing the overall feel of that area compared to some of the other outer areas I have looked at. Karingal has better area appeal than Hoppers, Dandenong, Werribee, St Albans, Broadmeadows, Preston, Reservoir, and countless others (where median might be much higher than Karingal's) .. obviously this is only my opinion.

- In my life I have never heard of Bentleigh & Highett having a worse reputation that Frankston. Would be interested to know other Melbournians perception of this.

I lived in Brighton East briefly in 94/95 during my uni days (travelled to Monash Uni Frankston everyday). The liveability appeal / perception of Highett, Moorabbin and Bentleigh/east was worse than Frankston. This is going by the feedback I cam across during that time.

There is also a reason why Frankston Magistrates Court had a special domestic violence unit set up. I am sure that things are changing for the better, and I dearly hope they are, but last I heard the area had the dubious honour of being the domestic violence capital of Victoria.

Crime has seldom stopped an area from gaining in value. Countless examples in Melbourne and Sydney - Infact dozens of suburbs with very high crime rate have grown almost at the same pace than any other inner/safe suburbs.

Other positive initiatives include the safe taxi ranks in central Frankston now manned with security guards & monitored with CCTV, the "anti-hoon hotline", etc.

So is the case in the Melbourne CBD and Geelong CBD. Frankston being a satellite hub has a higher concentration of trouble spots concentrated in a small area, hence the need for surveillance/safety and yes I agree that it s big plus for the locals and investors alike.

Like most people I am getting antsy about the safe boat harbour. I believe the council has called for expressions of interest from the private sector for the second time (Don't know what happened the first time!) and I hope the private sector comes to the party.

I have actually stopped worrying about it and dont even mentioned the "M" word anymore.. (M being Marina :D). Whenever it happens, it happens.. if it doesnt, it wouldnt change the overall investing appeal for the area too much.

All of these things are changing Frankston for the better and IMO the pluses of living here outweigh the negatives. But it is what it is. . . As I said, I have made the exact same points as Harris about the pluses of Frankston and I believe them or I never would have moved here & invested here. All i wanted to say is that if you are interstate and wondering why is Frankston so cheap, there are reasons. That doesn't mean that we should focus on the negatives - just be realistic about why people are not exactly fleeing other suburbs to live in Karingal just yet.

Agree whole heartedly on the above. People will definitely flee other suburbs to move to Karingal when the middle ring appreciates another 20% and Frankston emerges as a key affordable housing area with a very high level of sophisticated infrastructure.

Needless to say, this is not meant to be RIGHT - just an opinion.:)

I believe that you took my critique as too personal. I dont mind anyone expressing any opinion. Sometimes when the opinions are expressed in the form of statements, then a surgical correction of those opinions/ statements is required to provide a counter opinion.

Good luck with your investing journey.

Regards

Harris

Ms Jade said:
- I disagree with Harris that Karingal is as nice a place as most middle-ring suburbs closer to town. If I go shopping in Karingal Hub (admittedly have not done this for a couple of years), I am in no danger of thinking that my fellow shoppers could have been transplanted from Chadstone or even Knox City or Eastland.

I shop regularly at Karingal Hub, as do I in Southland (Cheltenham) and occasionaly in Westfield (Doncaster). I really don't understand what you are getting at here. Karingal is a lovely spot to shop, with some really great shops, Restaurants and Cinemas.

Ms Jade said:
Like most people I am getting antsy about the safe boat harbour. I believe the council has called for expressions of interest from the private sector for the second time (Don't know what happened the first time!)

Initially the proposal for the Marina was not financially viable due to zoning restrictions. This process has been fairly lengthy, however Council is now in the process of changing zoning and moving forward for re-negotiations with Government and interested parties. Final announcement of this is expected in the second quarter of 2008.

Toni

Last edited:
- Frankston is 40km from the CBD. The CAD is terribly run down despite plans to "beautify" it that I've been hearing for years now. There have been great improvements with the expanded Frankston Central shopping centre but the main Nepean Hwy thoroughfare is really ugly. I am sure that it is inevitable but even the much-touted development of the eyesore Peninsula Centre by Jamie Durie et al fell through.

If you look on page 16 of this thread, you will note that zoning changes in Frankston have only recently been changed along with plans for the Peninsula Centre to be converted into an $80 million 5 star hotel.

On the previous page you will also see expected changes to Kananook Creek area are due to be finalised by the end of this year.

Alot may have been discussed previously, but the changes are actually happening now!

Frankston is definately changing and will continue to do so.

Toni

Last edited:
I
I dont live in Frankston but I have driven through each street of Karingal probably more than 100 times in the last 18 months. I have a very objective view of comparing the overall feel of that area compared to some of the other outer areas I have looked at. Karingal has better area appeal than Hoppers, Dandenong, Werribee, St Albans, Broadmeadows, Preston, Reservoir, and countless others (where median might be much higher than Karingal's) .. obviously this is only my opinion.

I shall begin by saying that I have 2 IP's in Karingal.

I invested in Karingal as opposed to other areas of Frankston because I was attracted by the amenities the area offers. The shopping centre is large, with the usual supermarkets, and speciality shops. There is also a fairly new Hoyts Cinema complex. The parkland nearby is very large, with walking tracks, and lots of play equipment for children. The area also has primary schools and secondary schools. Add to this the public transport (buses into town). Harris has mentioned this before, but it is only a 2 minute drive to the beach.

Recently I have had valuations come back very favourably on my IP's which I bought in 2005 and 2006. I am very happy with the equity in these properties now. To think I nearly sold them a year ago. Thanks Harris for convincing me to keep them. I owe you a beer or two at the very least, and oh, I should have bought more!!!

Regards Jason.

But the thing about Beaumaris is. There is no decent beach. There is no railway station so you need two cars. So to me, I would rather spend the same money and live beachside Mentone/Parkdale and be near a decent beach and railway station.

Noooo!! :)
This is a 'classic' example of the something so 'simple' being perceived in different ways.

Let me clarify. Beaumaris Beach is IMHO one of the best beaches in Melbourne Metro. Beaumaris is so unique even the weather is different there (by way of the bay exposure to the east, west, and south...).
Beaumaris Motor Yacht Squadron ... i challenge you to identify i better fishing facility?
Rickets point beach (east to west boundaries aligning to Dalgetty and Reserve Rd's) is a perfect 'kids' beach (sand bar, snorkeling, private/ exclusive feel, not well known therefore generally not crowded)... local younger families love that place.
Did someone say ecoli? .. i recall beaumaris beach is one of the lowest in the whole bay (pls don't ask me to substantiate with facts)

here here on the rail station proximity, however there are benefits such as less crime, less noise, less 'through traffic'

where would i rather live?... i'd have to say the golden mile or beach side of hwy mordialloc ;)

having said all that ... it is very interesting to hear your perspective toony.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beaumaris,_Victoria
(not sure where the property value is sourced from?)

Last edited:
Noooo!! :)
This is a 'classic' example of the something so 'simple' being perceived in different ways.

Let me clarify. Beaumaris Beach is IMHO one of the best beaches in Melbourne Metro. Beaumaris is so unique even the weather is different there (by way of the bay exposure to the east, west, and south...).
Beaumaris Motor Yacht Squadron ... i challenge you to identify i better fishing facility?
Rickets point beach (east to west boundaries aligning to Dalgetty and Reserve Rd's) is a perfect 'kids' beach (sand bar, snorkeling, private/ exclusive feel, not well known therefore generally not crowded)... local younger families love that place.
Did someone say ecoli? .. i recall beaumaris beach is one of the lowest in the whole bay (pls don't ask me to substantiate with facts)

here here on the rail station proximity, however there are benefits such as less crime, less noise, less 'through traffic'

where would i rather live?... i'd have to say the golden mile or beach side of hwy mordialloc ;)

having said all that ... it is very interesting to hear your perspective toony.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beaumaris,_Victoria
(not sure where the property value is sourced from?)

Having grown up in Beauy I would definately say it has some of the best beaches in the bay, however it still strikes me as a place you would go when you are about to die. Have a look at the people shuffling along in the concourse shops with their heads tilted down and there thoughts focused on stopping the latest "high density" 3 unit development on 900sqm - that joint is full of them. Nothing todo but all day to do it and no train get you out of there.
Do you know they planned to have a station where the library is but Royal Melbourne wouldnt allow them to extend the train through their land. If that had been the case I would now live there but watching the old man travel 30 mins on the bus each morning for 20 yrs and then not sync up with the sandy train...ughhhh.
nice memories of a nice chilhood however :eek:
pieman

helping those who don't know better

Rising interest rates are being used as a cudgel by agents to persuade uninformed, mainly elderly folks, to sell their houses for well below the median price. Some have sold in the mid-late 200s, albeit quickly - well below the median. To add insult to injury, vendors have to pay extortionate commissions for their agents who really should be hung-drawn and quartered for giving such bad advice.

I want to place adverts in local newspapers offering to buy property from locals for more than what the salesmen are offering them (no commissions payable). What do you folks think? Any idea of how to advertise, which local papers are best? I am loath to advertise in the glossy domain supplement as it seems expensive and old folks probably wont even look there.

I anyone is interested in joining in, let me know. I cannot manage to buy more than a dozen or so more houses unless i start to cull my portfilio a bit or get some of my foreign colleagues involved. i'm happy to pay for the adverts (although it;d be nice if u chipped in a bit) but i really need eyes and ears on the ground as i am so far away.

Goodluck Frankie lovers. And keep p the good work Harris - you could be mayour someday, you'd get my vote

Hello to all this is my first post.

I have been following this thread for many months with much interest. I have 2 IP's in Coburg and 1 in Karingal.

However my interest for this post is Karingal, so here :-

I live in Karingal, Ellis Street. I LOVE IT!

I grew up in Park Orchards, in adult years Richmond and
Hawthorn before moving to Karingal. I was a eastern
suburbs person through and through.

After eight years of living in Hawthorn, I had enough,
drunks and vandelism, car being reguarly broken into,
lack of privacy, noise, traffic ... my spirit was broken and
time to move. I started looking around mordicalloc,
to carrum, I thought properties between Nepean Hwy and
the coast where good but far outside what I could afford at
that time. Properties on the east of the train line where
similar to Frankston however seemed dull and boring. So
after a few months of drifting through each suburb down
the coast I came to Frankston.

I knew of the reported crime and socio ecomic status
of Frankston but decided to keep a open mind and shopped
around. I inspected north, south, east and central.

For a whole range of reasons I bought my pad in Ellis St
Frankston.
I love it because I have easy access to the freeway that takes me to my city job in 60 min, no trucks, no trains,
no trams and no schools
I love it because I reguarly play golf 3 min away.
I love it because I am surrounded by parks to walk the dog
- Ballam Park 3 min away
- Langwarrin Flora and Fauna reserve 5 min away
- Frankston pier and foreshore 5 min away
- I love it because of the McCelland Gallery and Sculpture
Park ( and harry's cafe and bar) 5 min away
- I love it because I and 5 min away from a choice two
major shopping centres
- the list could go on....

I know 50% of the people in my street, it is a great mix
of professionals, trades and retired persons.

The area is quite and no significant crime.

I personally I think that I live in the center of most
things frankston has to offer and I Love it!

Personally I don't understand the drift or intent of
some past post's given on this forum.

It appears to me the percentages of owned and rented
properties in Frankston are consistant with most other
middle to outer suburbs, give or take a %

Street crime is evident a Frankston station but so is
Camberwell, Box Hill, Ringwood, Lilydale, Caulfield etc
most major stations have this problem.

Most negatives that I read on this forum can and do
occur in all suburbs but Frankston is unfairly focused.

Inexperienced - Submitting an offer

Hi Everyone!

Thanks for sharing all your thoughts and info on this forum - for a beginner like me, it has been most useful and inspirational. I had wanted to purchase in Franky since 2003...opportunities missed back then, but now I don't want to let it get away.

I would like to submit an offer for my 1st house through a real estate agent, and wonder if anyone can give me some advice. The agent says I should submit my best offer upfront, as she won't come back to let me know if my offer is beaten. Is this true?

My only other property transaction was for an off-the-plan apartment, so I
am unfamiliar with the normal house buying process.

Thanks & I will be most appreciative for any advice!

ching8,

The agent says I should submit my best offer upfront, as she won't come back to let me know if my offer is beaten. Is this true?

the agent is supposed to act in the best interests of their clients (the vendor)
on this basis, they agent will come back to you if they think they can negotiate a better deal with you. that may be price / terms/ faster decision making ;)

i have only signed 1 contract on 1 house, so take this advice within that context, however i suggest:
- it is a big decision and you should read up on negotiation before jumping in with an offer.
- search the forum for the word 'negotiation'
- post your question on the general area of the forum (more people will be likely to read it)
- take a look at something i came across in a american style e-book that may be of value: http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?p=381799#post381799

or if you want to jump into it now (as you have waited 5 years to purchase here ;)).. do at least the following
- find another property or 2 or 3 or more that fit your criteria, run the numbers, and determine what they are worth to you.
- determine what you are prepared to pay, and what terms you prefer (how much deposit, long/ short settlement period, etc)
- work out your offer for each of these properties, and submit each one to the agent over the phone/ in person (i found they will take a verbal offer seriously if you act professional). *make sure you have subject to satisfactory building inspection, subject to your bank approving the finance, subject to s32 review, include some more if you need to as you don't want to get caught committing to multiply properties :)*
- take your time and stick to your guns negotiating.
- do not exceed your initial price point.

a few final comments...
Sure you can trust the agent, but if you don't have evidence to support what they say, then ask them to see it and make sure you understand it before you act on anything they say.
Another thing you can do is to document your negotiation (ie: date, time, what was offered, what was said by who. take notes on what you think will happen next and why).

hope this helps.

Thanks so much for your advice MM!
It sure gives me a better idea of what to do.
I will check out the link that you suggested too.

Hi Everyone!

Thanks for sharing all your thoughts and info on this forum - for a beginner like me, it has been most useful and inspirational. I had wanted to purchase in Franky since 2003...opportunities missed back then, but now I don't want to let it get away.

I would like to submit an offer for my 1st house through a real estate agent, and wonder if anyone can give me some advice. The agent says I should submit my best offer upfront, as she won't come back to let me know if my offer is beaten. Is this true?

My only other property transaction was for an off-the-plan apartment, so I
am unfamiliar with the normal house buying process.

Thanks & I will be most appreciative for any advice!

This is indeed possible. One of my first properties that I purchased in Frankston (7-8 years ago) was done this way. There were several people looking at the house I was interested in, each with their individual sales rep. from the same company. I was told the same thing and basically the one with the highest offer bought the home. No further negotiations were entered into.

I was a little surprised to find they are now doing this again. I have not had this happen to me since. Unfortunately there seems to be a bit of demand on properties at the moment, which leaves the Real Estate agents in the driving seat.

I would be inclined to seek several properties, particularly if it is only for investment purposes, don't get emotionally attached, see it as a business decision only. Once you get a feel for the market and what properties are worth, you may choose to be a little more flexible.

Stick to your guns, don't get carried away with what they are saying. If you don't get this one, there will be plenty others.

Only when you are 100% sure should you buy. Take your time.

I hope you find what you are looking for and get it at the right price.

Toni

Hello to all this is my first post.

I have been following this thread for many months with much interest. I have 2 IP's in Coburg and 1 in Karingal.

However my interest for this post is Karingal, so here :-

I live in Karingal, Ellis Street. I LOVE IT!

I grew up in Park Orchards, in adult years Richmond and
Hawthorn before moving to Karingal. I was a eastern
suburbs person through and through.

After eight years of living in Hawthorn, I had enough,
drunks and vandelism, car being reguarly broken into,
lack of privacy, noise, traffic ... my spirit was broken and
time to move. I started looking around mordicalloc,
to carrum, I thought properties between Nepean Hwy and
the coast where good but far outside what I could afford at
that time. Properties on the east of the train line where
similar to Frankston however seemed dull and boring. So
after a few months of drifting through each suburb down
the coast I came to Frankston.

I knew of the reported crime and socio ecomic status
of Frankston but decided to keep a open mind and shopped
around. I inspected north, south, east and central.

For a whole range of reasons I bought my pad in Ellis St
Frankston.
I love it because I have easy access to the freeway that takes me to my city job in 60 min, no trucks, no trains,
no trams and no schools
I love it because I reguarly play golf 3 min away.
I love it because I am surrounded by parks to walk the dog
- Ballam Park 3 min away
- Langwarrin Flora and Fauna reserve 5 min away
- Frankston pier and foreshore 5 min away
- I love it because of the McCelland Gallery and Sculpture
Park ( and harry's cafe and bar) 5 min away
- I love it because I and 5 min away from a choice two
major shopping centres
- the list could go on....

I know 50% of the people in my street, it is a great mix
of professionals, trades and retired persons.

The area is quite and no significant crime.

I personally I think that I live in the center of most
things frankston has to offer and I Love it!

Personally I don't understand the drift or intent of
some past post's given on this forum.

It appears to me the percentages of owned and rented
properties in Frankston are consistant with most other
middle to outer suburbs, give or take a %

Street crime is evident a Frankston station but so is
Camberwell, Box Hill, Ringwood, Lilydale, Caulfield etc
most major stations have this problem.

Most negatives that I read on this forum can and do
occur in all suburbs but Frankston is unfairly focused.

This was refreshing to say the least. Reading your post just confirms all of my feelings. Thank you so much for sharing this with us and welcome to the thread.

Toni

Rupert Murdochs Mum

Did you know that Rupert Murdochs Mum could live anywhere in the WORLD. But she still chooses Langwarrin/Frankston

Thanks for all investment professionals.
I just got one question, which area in Frankston is the best choice for investment, coz I can only buy one with my finance. Central, Karingal, Whistlestop, maryland or Lakewood? coz the agent told me that properties in Central and Whistlestop can increase much more than properties in other areas, is it true?

Thanks for all investment professionals.
I just got one question, which area in Frankston is the best choice for investment, coz I can only buy one with my finance. Central, Karingal, Whistlestop, maryland or Lakewood? coz the agent told me that properties in Central and Whistlestop can increase much more than properties in other areas, is it true?[/QUOTE

Frankston Central is great as it is close to everything, however some streets in there are not so good. Driving through them will give you a better feel as to which ones are better. Some streets are full of units and as such attract some interesting people.

Karingal is great, again some spots are better than others. Look for proximity to shops, schools, transport and park and go for a drive.

Whistlestop is not one of my favourites, as it is away from alot of the action, but some spots in there have bay views.

Marylands is great, The houses are nicer than Karingal and as such demands a higher rent yield than Karingal and is also close to all that Karingal has to offer.

Lakewood is also great. This area has schools, and some smaller shops close by, but can be a little difficult get out of first thing in the morning (traffic congestion).

All in all the only one I would be hesitant about would be Whistlestop, but that is only my opinion. Also please note that many parts of Frankston have bayviews, including the areas you have mentioned, you just have to look.

Toni

Last edited:
Back