Purchasing in VIC - Frankston Area

I think that it is ludicrous to suggest that prices are dropping in this area.

Just last week, i saw a unit advertised which is in the same block as one I bought only five months ago.

They are asking 30k more than I purchased it for. I know this is only the asking price, but even if it sells for only 20k more than we paid, that is an extremely quick 20k in equity, and a good indication that prices are not going backwards...

I am yet to see a single property example that clearly demonstrates that prices are actually dropping in Frankston. The values have stabilised.

There is a lot more stock in the market currently off the back of a series of interest rate rises.

This means that buyers have a lot more choice today than 2-3 months ago. The sales activity levels also show the lowest number of properties coming across as "under offer" under realestate.com.au listings for the area since I started tracking activity levels 12 months ago.

Out of first 200 listings available at any given time, the number of "under offer" properties has hovered around 70 prop (which means an extremely buoyant market or a sellers market) and reaching 90 at its peak. Currently it is around 30.

Most properties were getting sold within a week, infact more than 70% of properties priced correctly sold within 48-72 hours. This has changed now, albiet temporarily.

Considering that majority consensus is for interest rates to stabilise and showing downward trend in 2009, Eastlink opening around June and API conducting a major feature on Frankston in May edition, I can guarantee that this lull in the market would be a thing of the past for a while -come late May/ June.

I expect to see very significant investor activity around May, intensifying around June and getting strongest in the second half of this year. Strong activity decreases available stock, creates demand and competition and directly results in upward pressure on property values.

Harris

couldn't agree with you more

I think that it is ludicrous to suggest that prices are dropping in this area.

Just last week, i saw a unit advertised which is in the same block as one I bought only five months ago.

They are asking 30k more than I purchased it for. I know this is only the asking price, but even if it sells for only 20k more than we paid, that is an extremely quick 20k in equity, and a good indication that prices are not going backwards...

time is a stealer of money if you wait to buy.

i know of 4 sellers in or around the frankston area who are considering taking their homes off the market for 3-6 months as they know once the eastlink is open they will get alot more then they are asking now.

Maybe for investors but not for the majority of buyers.

There is no doubt that the upcoming completion/opening of eastlink has already had a effect on the purchases made by investors. However, as noted already, this is mainly for Investor Purchases.

I remember reading somewhere that historically areas in whcih a major arterial is opened tends to experience major growth for up to 12 months after it is complete.

There is no doubt that the upcoming completion/opening of eastlink has already had a effect on the purchases made by investors. However, as noted already, this is mainly for Investor Purchases.

I remember reading somewhere that historically areas in whcih a major arterial is opened tends to experience major growth for up to 12 months after it is complete.

I have read articules stating 3 years. I think the timeline
varies and depends on the relization factor.
By this I mean, as new people move into a area they
will .1 Dislike the area. .2 No opinion of the area, or
.3 Love the area So the word gets out on one of these
3 points relatives, friends and aquaintances across the melbourne blurbs and the sea change accurs the growth
is limit to .1 Dislike - 12 months, .2 No opinion - 24 months, .3 Love the area 36 months +

With all the wonderfull assets and potential Frankston has,
it will give 2 to 3 a shake, but if council would act on some of those "change the suburb image" projects and proceed efficently into a built reality - MY GOD WHO KNOWS?

i was having a look around Baxter and seems to be very cheap there compared to frankston , anyone has first hand info reg. this area?

thanks in advance!

i was wondering if the prices will move further up when they start to construct mooroduck extension freeway ? thoughts and comments ?

Zoning Proposal - Leader Newspaper 14/04/08

Proposed zoning changes, which would limit residents' rights to object, were "horrendous", according to Frankston Mayor Alistair Wardle.

Planning Minister Justin Madden wants to change the current system of residential zones 1,2 and 3 into what are being called; substantial, incremental and limited-change zones.

The proposed substantial change zone would allow a significant increase in new dwellings and the diversity of buildings.

But Cr Wardle said the proposed changes meant people would be able to build three-storey homes in residential zones without a permit.

"I'm horrified at the proposal that blocks of land in Frankston can be subdivided down to 300 sqm without a permit," he said.

"This means we can have three, three storey townhouses on an average block without a permit and with neighbours having no opportunity to object."

Mr. Madden said the changes could help put new houses on the market and ease housing stress.

"Planning departments faced great pressure to deal with urban growth and new system could speed up residential approvals," he said.

"We can streamline, cut the red tape and give people more certainty,"

The zones in individual areas would be decided with local councils and would not be applied retrospectively to developments.

Cr Wardle said he would advocate that Frankston Council make a submission against the proposal.

The paper can be seen n the Department of Planning and Community website at www.dpcd.vic.gov.au. Submissions close on Friday.

Toni

PM in Frankston

I am looking for a good PM in Frankston instead of my current one who has made me about thousands loss from poor management. anyone can recommend good one for me? many thanks

Im thinking of buying an IP in frankston in the near future, I am happy with the prospects, and everyones feedback on it,

can anyone suggest how I go and research the suburb + some pointers, based o nthe fact that I live 1 hours+ drive away...... and I very rarely go through the area....

Im thinking of buying an IP in frankston in the near future, I am happy with the prospects, and everyones feedback on it,

can anyone suggest how I go and research the suburb + some pointers, based o nthe fact that I live 1 hours+ drive away...... and I very rarely go through the area....

Nothing beats driving in the car and speaking to the agents and looking at the different streets and areas. Find a spot you are comfortable with eg. Sth Frankston in High School zone and focus on that area. there are many different areas of frankston, beachside of nepean eg gould st, nth frank, pines, central frankston, near tafe area, near monash uni area, karingal, marylands. Find the area you are comfortable with.

My focus is sth frankston.

There are more pointers in this thread than you can poke a stick at ! I would suggest reading the thread again. Also visit the area a few times and get a feel of different parts of frankston.

Frankston is 3 times the size of an average suburb with hugely varying demographics and equally varying prop values from $180k prop to $2mill + prop.

I went to the eastlink branch in Chadstone shopping centre yesterday and was told that we can expect the official opening announcement date for the tollway within a few weeks.

Whilst we cant ignore the macro economic factors with the high interest rates and excess stock in the market, the fact is that the time from the eastlink opening to the preceding 6 odd months will see a great range of activity in the suburbs dotted along the tollway with most commentators agreeing upon frankston positioned as the biggest winner.

Increase in buyer activity will soak up excess stock and will create a new wave of pressure on the prop values. The size of buyer's pool determines the size of the growth. So the higher the activity, the higher the pressure on the prop values.

The median figures showed the growth in frankston in 2007 at around 20% however most of that growth (around 80%) occured in a 3-4 months period from around Feb/mar 07 till around July 07. That was the period in frankston, where majority of the stock was selling within a couple of days due to the convergence of investors in the area.

Thats how the spurts work in prop values. Inner melbourne experienced that over a lengthy 12 month period from Oct/ Nov 06 till about Oct/Nov 07.

Middle ring then followed off the back of affordability blues and had its 6-8 month spurt lasting from around April/May 07 till just before federal election around Oct.

Timing the market is a hit and miss game, however if all stars are aligned perfectly with almost all criteria to deliver the spurt checked, then the probability of riding the growth spurt becomes very high.

I am predicting the fresh growth wave to hit frankston from the opening of eastlink to the preceding 6 months.

HTW's report also singled frankston out as benefiting the most in gaining prop values post eastlink completion.

API's feature (out in a week) will bring the area up on the investors' radar again followed by a period of media covering the biggest infrastructure project in the history of Victoria with atleast 3 special prop related features already in pipeline for the positive effects of eastlink on adjoining prop to appear in The Age in June.

It is currently a buyers market in Frankston with a lot of choice for buyers and sufficient negotiating room on the stock which has been sitting for a few weeks without any concrete offers.

It will be a different story altogether in 6-8 weeks time.

Harris

6 auctions yesterday between frankston and frankston south. All prop passed in !

Some good development blocks that I am surprised werent sold yesterday. Will be interesting to watch if they are sold in coming days.

It definitely is a buyers market currently.

Harris

Eastlink, Frankstone and other suburbs along Eastlink ..

I went to the eastlink branch in Chadstone shopping centre yesterday and was told that we can expect the official opening announcement date for the tollway within a few weeks.

I am looking my 1st IP and have been following this thread and definitely Eastlink will bring the prices up in Frankston ...

But it would be interesting to know what other suburbs from Mitcham to Frankston will mostly benefit due to Eastlink ?

What about such suburbs towards Frankston along Eastlink ?

Ringwood
Wantirna
Nobble Park
Keysborough
Seaford
Frankston

From The Age (Domain) Sunday April 20 2008

Suburbs in Melbourne's inner west and in outer bayside areas have fared best in a national survey of "hot spots" conducted by an industry magazine. Thirteen Victorian areas appeared in the list of 47 suburbs nationally.

West Footscray and the suburbs immediately surrounding it (including Braybrook, Maidstone and Footscray) were on the list, as were nearby Kensington and Flemington. Elsewhere in the inner city, Collingwood and Abbotsford are considered to have the most scope for growth.

The bayside suburbs of Chelsea and Carrum also appeared ion the list, as did Geelong.

Real estate researcher Peter Koulizos, or Your Investment Property magazine, highlighted Frankston as a suburb to watch.

"Frankston is one of the sites identified on the State Government's Melbourne 2030 plan and the Eastlink Road expansion is going to link the CBD with that part of Port Phillip Bay, which will bring Frankston even closer to the city," he said. "Seaford and Carrum should experience the flow-on effect of Frankston's rejuvenation."

http://www.frankstonleader.com.au/article/2008/04/21/33544_fsv_news.html

DEMAND for rental properties in Frankston has reached an all-time high, with more than 30 people viewing some properties.

The cost of rent is rising too with home hunters now having to fork out a minimum of $200 a week compared with $170 two years ago.

Interesting news, I'm just in the process of going through my conditions (pest, building, finance) on a property out in Frankston! Hopefully when it goes unconditional, I'll be able to verify whether this article is true or not!

edit: one of my mates said he found the name of the local paper Frankston
"Leader" quite an oxymoron. Maybe in a few years time it might make sense! =P

1. From The Age (Domain) Sunday April 20 2008

Suburbs in Melbourne's inner west and in outer bayside areas have fared best in a national survey of "hot spots" conducted by an industry magazine. Thirteen Victorian areas appeared in the list of 47 suburbs nationally.

The magazine you refer to "Your Property Investment"
    May edition is Part 1 of 2.
    Part to 2 of the feature to be on available in June.

Part 1 covers the States of S.A., Vic, Qld and W.A.
    The Criteria nominated by Peter Koulizos where :-
    1. The Suburb must be undervalued and therefore
    has the opportunity to add value
    2. The Suburbs median price is near or below the
    median for the city as a whole.
    3. There must be potential for growth.

The 13 Victorian suburbs listed where :-

#1. Frankston
    #2. Seaford
    #3. Carrum
    #4. Chelsea
    #5. Geelong
    #6. Collingwood
    #7. Abbotsford
    #8. Footscray
    #9. Footscray West
    #10. Kensington
    #11. Flemington
    #12. Braybrook
    #13. Maidstone

The magazine has a run down on each suburb with
    recommendations where to buy and to avoid.

In Frankstons case :-

Where to buy
    The closer to the beach the better

Where to advoid
    * To avoid the noise, don't buy too close to the freeway or
    train line
    * Frankston has a light industrial area, so keep away from
    this.

SS.

Positive article in the May issue of A.P.I. magazine on this Bayside jewel. When I bought an IP there three years ago I called it my "diamond in the rough" and it was the initiatives of 2030 and the fact that so much was being spent by State and Local govt and private forces (especially Mr Gandel) that drew me to this undervalued suburb.

The article did state that one could still buy 3 BR Brick veneer in Karingal precinct on 600 sq m for 250,000. I was looking late last year for my brother in law and really found nothing with 600 sq m for that price. What is the experience of others with more holdings there (especially Harris) have the prices come off the boil somewhat with the last couple of interest rate rises?

Back