Purchasing in VIC - Frankston Area

From The Age (Domain) Sunday April 20 2008

Suburbs in Melbourne's inner west and in outer bayside areas have fared best in a national survey of "hot spots" conducted by an industry magazine. Thirteen Victorian areas appeared in the list of 47 suburbs nationally.

Real estate researcher Peter Koulizos, or Your Investment Property magazine, highlighted Frankston as a suburb to watch.

"Frankston is one of the sites identified on the State Government's Melbourne 2030 plan and the Eastlink Road expansion is going to link the CBD with that part of Port Phillip Bay, which will bring Frankston even closer to the city," he said. "Seaford and Carrum should experience the flow-on effect of Frankston's rejuvenation."

1. From Your Property investor magazine - May edition

Suburbs in Melbourne's inner west and in outer bayside areas have fared best in a national survey of "hot spots" conducted by an industry magazine. Thirteen Victorian areas appeared in the list of 47 suburbs nationally.

1. The Suburb must be undervalued and therefore
    has the opportunity to add value
    2. The Suburbs median price is near or below the
    median for the city as a whole.
    3. There must be potential for growth.

The 13 Victorian suburbs listed where :-

#1. Frankston
    #2. Seaford
    #3. Carrum
    #4. Chelsea
    #5. Geelong

1. Positive article in the May issue of A.P.I. magazine on this Bayside jewel- "Frankston

I had a quick look thorugh all three features/ articles and there is a tonne of more stuff to appear in the mainstream press locally and interstate, so hold on for the ride.

"The Age" has a number of prop related features on Frankston in the pipeline to appear immediately after Eastlink opening which will bring Frankston on the radar of even more investors. I wouldn't be surprised if Frankston tops the list of national property hot spots in the months to come.

Harris

Safe Boat Harbour - Information Bulletin

March Quarter 2008

This is the first periodic bulletin for 2008, produced by the Frankston City Council, to ensure up to date information on the Frankston Safe Boat Harbour is available to Frankston City residents, and those who have registered their interest on Council's database.

Following a market sounding exercise conducted with the private sector in 2006, a workshop was held in February last year to allow Councillors to guage the degree of support for the project from the State Government and the private sector. As the Safe Boat Harbour is to be substantially funded and operated by the private sector, this support hinges on the long-term viability of the project.

As a result Council endorsed a Preferred Development Model which highlighted additional elements considered necessary to ensure its viability. The four main changes Council agreed to were to remove restrictions on vessel and berth sized, increase floor space for commercial facilities (i.e. boat repairs, food, marine retail), provide for dry boat storage and include short-stay accommodation.

Council's Preferred Development Model provides for the following facilities:

* Regional boat ramp with five ramps and dual landings
* Wash-down facilities
* Boat refuelling facilities
* 30 public overnight berths
* Up to 300 permanent we berths
* Up to 400 dry storage berths
* Up to 60 short-stay accommodation units
* Associated parking and turning areas for vehicles and trailers
* Outdoor recreation facilities such as public promenades, pathways and play areas
* Restaurant/cafe tourist and community ferry terminal platform, marine related retail stores such as chandlery and bait and tackle shops
* Marine-related services, workshop and boat repair facilities
* Accommodation for local clubs and emergency services

Current Status

In May 2007, Council wrote to the Planning Minister, seeking State Goverment agreement for the Preferred Development Model in terms of the project scope, extent of goverment assistance and preferred process for delivery.

The Minister has now referred the Preferred Development Model to the Priority Development Panel (PDP), an independent advisory body, for advice on alignment with State Goverment policy, required planning scheme changes and implementation process.

The PDP is considering the project during the first quarter of 2008. It has sought, from Council, detailed information in draft form including a planning scheme amendment, siting and design guidelines, a traffic management study, as well as a list of key stakeholders with whom the Panel should consult, prior to advising the Minister.

A State Goverment decision on the Preferred Development Model, along with the process of implementation involving amendments to the planning scheme, is expected in the second quarter of 2008.

What Happens Next?

1. Consideration and acceptance of Council's Preferred Development Model (PDM) by the State Government.

2. Approval of a planning scheme amendment reflecting the PDM by the Planning Minister.

3. Implementation of preferred delivery process

4. Invitation for tenders to construct and operate facility

5. Selection of successful proponent

6. Establish Community Liaison and Reference Group.

7. Design and planning compliance including modelling

8. Approval of plans for construction

Toni

Eastlink to Open 29 June

Finally...
the wait is over !

Eastlink to open in around 6 weeks time - We will now see a significant increase in buyer activity around Frankston with "late" investors swarming in the area off the back of massive amount of scheduled media highlighting the "access factor" of suburbs dotted along the new tollway, especially bayside frankston.

http://www.seita.com.au/pages/latest-news.asp?NAID=561

"The $2.5 billion EastLink motorway will open to traffic on Sunday 29 June 2008 and motorists will be the first to celebrate with a four week toll-free period.

EastLink is one of Victoria's most successful road projects and 40 years after first appearing in the Melway and just over three years since construction began, EastLink will open five months early.

The Brumby Government has worked with ConnectEast to ensure motorists will enjoy a toll-free period as well as a Community Open Day to be held on Sunday 15 June 2008.

All Victorians will have the chance to walk, run or cycle on EastLink before it opens, with community festivities planned on the roadway.

The Melba and Mullum Mullum tunnels will be a particular focus of the celebrations, open for the community to walk through and witness their outstanding urban design and state-of-the-art safety features."

Just pick up "The leader" Frankston from my IP.

there is whole page from some guy from patterson lakes, opposing the development of the marina, as it says that it will be destroying the nature, and a waste of $$$

I myself just went to the pier, and walk along, saw a lot of jelly fish under the water. don't know whether this is good or not ? (bad for swimmer ? good for environment ?)

cheers

Just pick up "The leader" Frankston from my IP.

there is whole page from some guy from patterson lakes, opposing the development of the marina, as it says that it will be destroying the nature, and a waste of $$$

I myself just went to the pier, and walk along, saw a lot of jelly fish under the water. don't know whether this is good or not ? (bad for swimmer ? good for environment ?)

cheers

Maybe he's right, but, to me, there's an element of self-interest there. If marina's developed in Frankston, it could reduce the appeal of Patterson Lake drastically..

Defying Trend

Quote from Leader Real Estate this week :-
Frankston and Dandenong which are Melbourne hotspots tipped by national valuation company WBP Property Group have outperformed the general Melbourne property market. in the past quarter Frankston property prices went up by 4.6% and Dandenong by 7.4% according to REIV figures. WBP boss Greville Pabst said Eastlink was a key factor in both areas growth.

SS

Argy Bargy

Maybe he's right, but, to me, there's an element of self-interest there. If marina's developed in Frankston, it could reduce the appeal of Patterson Lake drastically..

I agree feihong.
I have read in the past from various articules that police,
emergency services, research departments and the boating
association all support the frankston marina. Why?

The marina location is central to Port Phillip Bay.

In my mind, the location is so logical for safety and emergency services. With all the enviromental issues,
I cannot think of one marina that has cause environmental
devastation.

Patterson Lakes marina is cumbersion in regards to access
to the bay and I would have thought residents using the
lakes marina would prefer local use only.

So, it appears to me the Lakes marina owner is speaking
for themselves only.

SS

Hi guys,

I am after some recent sales data or knowledge on how much properties around the central Frankston area are worth with plans and permits?

Am very interested in finding out what additional value can be achieved by going through the planning process, but not necessarily developing it ourselves.

Any insight would be very much appreciated.

Chris.

Frankston over the freeway

Hi

Just stumpled across this thread, have a IP in Seaford that we out grew and now rent out(nepean highway) and am now considering the other side of Frankston (heatherhill area). New to the investment world with young family and would appreciate any advise on the the medium term view of this patch of Frankston? Also if a street is outside a high school zone by a yard how much does this mean in real terms?

Thanks

@ Wigwam.

If you can afford to buy in Frankston South, particularly in the high school zone, you will be laughing. "Harris" is the Frankston expert.

And yes, I practice what I preach - I have an IP in F'ton South in the FHZ.

Last edited:
Thanks - we are finding Frankston Sth a little out of reach at this point in time. Look foward to Harris's comments. We have approx 100k equity in Seaford and are financed to about 300k, hence the area.

Cheers

Too close to proposed byapss

Anybody here .. maybe Harris can shed some light on this:-

I'm not from Franskston so not aware of a lot of things
a 3br 750 sq m house in Taketa Crescent
asking 300K

I put an offer in @290K but just realized (another agent told me ) that its 100m from the proposed bypass !!

What should I do ? (what would you do ?)
I'd like to add it is a well maintained 3br and highly likely to sell (agent told me he had another simialr offer after me)
Is too close to freeway a really bad thing ?
Would I have problems renting it / selling it ?

Still to hear from the agent ..

auzieblogger

this proposed freeway is another good thing to frankston, and it is still in feasibility study (i think, as i saw the paper outlining the impact on environment, etc on my IP postbox).

This is my 2 cents:

Being in the next to the freeway is bad, as the noise will drive me mad, even with the noise barrier wall, i am sure some of it will escape through.

one of the house that i looked at @fr south (warrain st), being close to morroduc freeway, i can't bear the noise of the traffic when standing outside the porch, and at the back garden. Inside the house is ok, but i wonder how it is when it is quiet @night time, and one car driving past will make a lot of difference on the noise.

I am sure you can find some other house. i will leave that place if i were you. but it is your own $$$, so you make your own decision.

Cheers

auzieblogger
being close to morroduc freeway, i can't bear the noise of the traffic when standing outside the porch, and at the back garden. Inside the house is ok, but i wonder how it is when it is quiet @night time, and one car driving past will make a lot of difference on the noise.
Cheers

That's what I am thinking at the moment .
Considering I can avail the cooling off period if the offer is accepted ...
appreciate your thoughts ..

I put an offer in @290K but just realized (another agent told me ) that its 100m from the proposed bypass !!

What should I do ? (what would you do ?)

100 m is a fair distance and not close enough to get noise from the fwy considering sound barriers would be in place.

If the place is very close (20-50m) then it becomes a problem.

Taketa Cres in my opinion is one of the best location in Karingal due to its proximity to the shopping centre and parks.

Harris

Back