Purchasing in VIC - Frankston Area

yes apparently prices are set to triple in the golden triangle due the the new zoning.

Just Kidding dont know anything about it what have you heard ?

Frankston CBD

Hello has anyone heard about the rezoning in central Frankston especially in the golden triangle?

I have read somewhere recently, that the State Government has identified Frankston as one of the 26
suburbs that wiil lose the right to assess planning
applications for the CBD.
The State Government shall appoint there own panel/committee to assess applications and planning direction (height control/density?) for Frankstons future.

Does she own a crystal ball ? If you are reffering to the new zoning changes accross the state there has been no maps put out at this point for the proposed zoning of different areas of frankston. It would make sense that the golden triangle would be included in the "Substantial Changes Zone" I have not seen anything as yet and I doubt anyones else has. I would imagine these maps will come out later in the year and properties in these areas with development potential will skyrocket.

Does she own a crystal ball ? If you are reffering to the new zoning changes accross the state there has been no maps put out at this point for the proposed zoning of different areas of frankston. It would make sense that the golden triangle would be included in the "Substantial Changes Zone" I have not seen anything as yet and I doubt anyones else has. I would imagine these maps will come out later in the year and properties in these areas with development potential will skyrocket.

Hi Gussman, the proposed zoning changes where on display sometime ago (2 years) at FCC. The Golden
Triangle area was not included in that display.

My earlier point was to seek clarification from anyone
on what I read somewhere, regarding planning control
on Frankstons CBD/Central future. Is the State
Government looking at ceasing these powers from FCC?

Personally, I think if Frankstons Future Planning comes
under the control of State powers, then planning may be
a case of "shifting sands" to achieve the 2030 goal.

which zoning changes were those 2 years ago ? I was reffering to LEFKAS& comment. The only likely changes the government will make in my opinion is too take the powers from council in major projects and appoint a panel which laready happens in most cases now. To take control of all planning powers in the CBD will only further delay town planning applications.

I have heard that some area in Frankston will be allowed to build three story dwellings on a 300 square meter block with no permit. The only area i can think that this will be allowed is in the golden triangle.
What do you think?

Hey wigwam,
Sorry - I'm not Harris but IMO you are definitely on the right track. Frankston Heights gets my vote after Frankston South - It's just on the other side of the highway but still close to amenities, very close to Monash, excellent little shopping strip of its own and much appeal as an area to live in. I have noticed some strong prices in Heatherhill Rd lately & I would stay off this road myself but there are some lovely streets right near it. Most of Frankston Heights is well established as it's one of the older estates. My impression is also that it's more of an owner-occupied area than some others so IMO I would also rather live there as a renter too. :)

Thanks for the reply - I am quite impressed by this area/land size available we almost got 900sq for 295k the other day but were shafted by some wayward real estate communication and advice. How much do people negotiate by these days? e.g if a property is advertised at 350k what would be the start of the negotiating point end negotion point is there a base formula?

Thats the neighbourhood character study, that just gives some guidance when assesing development applications. It is nothing to do with rezoning.

Frankston Independent - 27th May, 2008

While planning authorities wait for the fine print of the State Goverment's sweeping new planning proposals, Frankston Mayor Alistair Wardle says "everthing will basicaly be up for grabs; it's a bit scary".

He said introducing three zones in residential areas, setting up development assessment committees and bypassing municipal councils "will allow much more (development) than now without a permit required".

The changes announced last week by Premier John Brumby are aimed at housing Victoria's growing population and adopting the changes following an audit of the Melbourne 2030 planning blueprint.

Cr Wardle said the council would continue to voice its concerns, although the Government had already ignored an earlier request for more time to consider the proposed changes.

On April 15, councillors submitted a letter to the Government expressing their concerns about the proposed changes.

"It (the wording of the letter) was decided in-house because we had limited time to respond," Cr Wardle said.

Under the Government's proposal, council planning powers will be handed to a five-member development assessment committee - an independent chairperson and two representative each of the relevant council and Government.

The committee will initially assess permit applications in five major centres, and Frankston - a designated activity zone - is listed for the second round likely to be announced later this year.

Mr. Brumby's announcement to slow urban sprawl and encourage higher density housing was criticised by councils and community groups.

Cr. Wardle said it would see up to five houses being built on larger blocks in Frankston South.

"If you have a 1000-square-metre block you'll get three two-storey houses without a permit. At the moment everyone has to apply (for a permit) and meet all planning controls. Applicants will be exempt from being challenged at VCAT (Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal) if Rescode standards are met. This basically means the whole place will be up for sale with high-density housing everywhere."

Cr. Wardle said existing controls including environmental significance design and development overlays "will go".

Cr Wardle said he "wouldn't be surprised" if developers delayed making planning applications because the new system would make it easier for them to have their plans approved.

He said land near railway stations would increase in price and there would be no gaurantee of Mt Eliza retaining its character.

"If you can put five houses on two thirds of an acre, it will transform Mt. Eliza."

Culcairn Drive, Frankston, where 60 houses were on the way to being replaced by 600 dwelling was an example of what could happen.

"There are no protections. But probably the biggest problem for council will be increased traffic in suburban streets."

Toni

Last edited:
Need another tip here, which of these & why ?

a) Heatherhill Rd (3br 1bath) 620 sqm . (290K+)
Pros: Well maintained . Good location (High school zone),
Cons: Existing Rent too low (240 pw) might go upto 260pw (max.)

b) 2 properties Near Bunarong Park (3br 2bath) ~ 570sqm (270K+)
Pros: Renovated, near Karingal hub, near park, Rent (280+ pw easily !!)
Cons: although renovated inside, both prop. need some work outside/backyard

I really like all of these from an investor's viewpoint, but the one's in Marylands give almost 5% rental return, while the one in heatherhill rd looks the best location for long term CG. Any advise appreciated.

Cheers
AB

Need another tip here, which of these & why ?

a) Heatherhill Rd (3br 1bath) 620 sqm . (290K+)
Pros: Well maintained . Good location (High school zone),
Cons: Existing Rent too low (240 pw) might go upto 260pw (max.)

b) 2 properties Near Bunarong Park (3br 2bath) ~ 570sqm (270K+)
Pros: Renovated, near Karingal hub, near park, Rent (280+ pw easily !!)
Cons: although renovated inside, both prop. need some work outside/backyard

I really like all of these from an investor's viewpoint, but the one's in Marylands give almost 5% rental return, while the one in heatherhill rd looks the best location for long term CG. Any advise appreciated.

Cheers
AB

Heatherhill Road Property

If you can, I would avoid being right on Heatherhill Road. This road is a very busy road. If it is off it, then that's different. Is it on a Corner? This would be different again.

Remember that side of the highway, as far as the Frankston High School zone is concerned, is a little more vulnerable. Who knows though, it may continue, but keep that in mind when you make your decision.

The biggest bonus I can see for this property is the land content, with dual occ or subdivision possibilities down the track.

Will cost you a little more to hold, but could pay off in the long run.

Marylands Properties

I personally love Marylands, the houses are younger and nicer in appearance, (but I'm a female). It is across the road from Karingal Hub, Ballam Park and schools etc. and wouldn't cost as much to hold.

Having said all that though, it may turn out that Heatherhill, depending on subdivision or dual occ possibilities in the future, may be the way to go.

Toni

Last edited:
While planning authorities wait for the fine print of the State Goverment's sweeping new planning proposals, Frankston Mayor Alistair Wardle says "everthing will basicaly be up for grabs; it's a bit scary".

Toni

Hi Toni and Harris,

Do you think these new planning rules have the potential to saturate the market with too many properties, and potentially devalue existing stock? (Especially stock that is sitting on land that cannot be subdivided?)

Regards Jason.

Back