push ups

Hi,

Anyone know what an acceptable amount of pushups in one minute is for a 38 yr old male?
Going for a pre-employment physical shortly and this is one of the tests.
Thanks for your help

Links in this article indicate either 19-23 or 27, depending on which one you read. That's total, not explicitly per minute (obviously per minute will depend on how many minutes you've already been doing them for :p).

Some other article reckoned in the US army, a 17-21 year old needs to do 42 in two minutes to pass the test. No mention of older ages though, but that would be an upper limit.

Depends quite a lot on exactly how you do them too - how low you go.

GP

Hi Stu,

I'm 38 also. In the Australian Defence Force (ADF) guys 'our age' (Army only), are required to do at least 25 push-ups (in a 2 minute time limit), 50 sit-ups, and a 2.4 km run in no longer than 12 Min 42 Seconds. These are pretty easy standards to reach, and of course, only gets easier as we get older. ;)

Hope that helps,

Phil :)

Thanks Phil,

25 shouldnt represent to mainly problems by the time I get to the test next week. I have being spending too many hours sitting on my butt as a Sales Rep
and the days of doing 50 + pressups are just a fond memory.

Cheers Stu

Stu, different jobs will have different demands..... I can't imagine they'll be too demanding if they are considering someone approaching 40......

You may also find the push ups the least demanding of the tests. What else do they want you to do?

If the test doesn't include chin ups or pull ups, then it is probably not that demanding. Without regular training, most guys over 35 couldn't do more than 5 chin ups.

Another general fitness requirement is hamstring flexibility. They may measure your sitting reach to toes capacity.

Phil, can you offer any insight into 4th Battalion RAR Commando fitness testing?

Hi Winston,

The other tests I know about are a stepping test (how many steps in 2 mins), situp test, and I imagine a stretch test like you have mentioned. The job is for an operator at a refinery so I cant imagine the tests being to stringent, however the company does seem to have a focus on fit staff (own gym, fitness programs etc)

Cheers Stu

Stu, my understanding of a refinery operator is someone who sits in a control room looking at a bank of computer screens for 12 hour shifts.

If so, then they could be most concerned about your lower back and neck. Low back pain, headaches, and eye strain are significant factors causing time off or impaired performance.

Might be a good idea to downplay any minor back or neck injuries or associated chronic pain.

Good luck with it.

Why don't you ask them what the test consists of, and then you can train for it. I know for a fact that the initial physical test to join the Army is alot harder than the testing that is done once you are in.
Just practice your push ups every 2nd day, until you feel the burn and pump some weights.
Good luck

Phil, can you offer any insight into 4th Battalion RAR Commando fitness testing?

I'll try to look it up tomorrow at work and get back to you WW. I think I'm getting a tad too old for that kind of stuff too though :D It's very much a younger mans job. (although I'm sure there would be blokes in their 30's at the Battalion)

Phil

Hi Stu,

It obdviously all depends on your muscle form, if you havent done any for a long time then your pectorial muscles will be quite weakened compared to someone who does as many as they can often to strengthen muscles,

for instance, I was doing about 15, was all I could do in one rep, now Im doing around 50 1 year on.

Back