Putting up a ceiling with no sheet lifter and a reluctant helper.

So it was a Saturday and I had a brief window to put up a ceiling. It's a job I've been putting off - the end mezzanine in the room in the first picture. The ceiling size is 8.5 metres by 3 metres.
I had an afternoon free and a reluctant helper. But the local hire shop had run out of sheet lifters. It would be a 40 minute drive to another hire place, 20 minutes mucking around, then a 40 minute drive back. And afterwards, I would have to return the thing - another hour wasted.
Out the back I had some of that rough sawn treated pine garden edging. It took about 45 minutes to knock up this hinged frame.
I leant it against the wall, put each sheet on it, and lifted it up. I surprised even myself at how well it worked.
Scott

Attachments

• apartment NE.jpg
    apartment NE.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 224
  • sheet lifter 1.jpg
    sheet lifter 1.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 234
  • sheet lifter 2.jpg
    sheet lifter 2.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 223
Very good idea,I think most people just make up a couple of dead men,yours looks most impressive.

Could be a patent system there??:D

You're such a poser Scott but yes, I concede, brilliant :D
Now can you come to my place and assist with our 12ft ceilings?!

No wonder the crew at SS love you Scott, you're the General Manager of a highly successful multi-national company and you're still too tight to pay someone else to do the job ;)

Multinational? Australia is big enough for us.
Renovating is more of a hobby now. I don't play sport (except for tennis on Monday nights) and I don't have a religion and I don't watch much telly. I'm also fussy - I can do many things better than tradies. But that's only because I take so long. If a tradie took as long as I do, they would go broke.

I'm tight, too.

Good job Scott, very smart. What do you do with sheets that aren't against the wall?

Also, do you do your own set and sand?

Next time book a lifter. :)

No harm in creating your own solution to overcome an issue.

Just had a client who was close enough to the sheet supplier to pick one up and return it in a few hours. Very satisfied with the outcome.

Yep, heaps of blue goo used.

Yep, I do my own set and sand. I like to use shadow molds and I paint the recess black before installing (how's that for anal) so it's a proper shadow. Often when I start a job I tell myself I'll get someone else to do it. Then I do a bit of it to get things started and sort of keep going. I can't help myself.

If I had to do sheets in the middle of a room, I would get a sheet lifter - or two helpers. Often two helpers - even reluctant ones - are better than a sheet lifter.

Back