QCAT: Win for the Tradie

Today attended 3rd appearance at a QCAT matter to recover a debt owed since August last year.

We were engaged to complete a job after a lengthy selection process. All inclusive, hard quote (Very rare I do these, I usually 'scedule of rates + margin').

Job was a floor lining in wash/detailing bays in a car hire company. Pretty straight forward, I only attended the job briefly to drop some materials off etc, had full confidence of my staff looking after the job.

Job completed on time, walked around complete job with client etc with confirmation of payment date.

After 90+ days overdue, applied to QCAT. Went through mediation etc. Client complaint was peeling in 3x areas (<1m2 peeling/burned over 120m2) , wanted complete floor respray. My arguement was subsequent trades cutting penetrations into floor, cutting piping out of walls and removing electrical conduit after job sprayed was the cause and no responsibility of mine as the modifications were the cause of the floor lining lifting. Didnt need full respray, needed a $300 fix which I was happy to do, to get my $23k. (I did alright out of the job)

Had the matter heard first time, the usual, need witnesses etc

2nd hearing we heard from defendant and witness that 80% of the floor was fully peeled up. I thought 'geez, this is not good'. We were ordered to make the floor operational by repair or replacement. No problem, except defendant would not grant us access to premises to make assessment and measure for the repairs. Alarm bells ringing here.

QCAT granted a mention to allow access for us to attend his premises (much to his disapproval). Went there with further witnesses and found that the only defects were due to the modifications not in my control as noted. Took many photos etc and found none of the floor was lifted, just the areas he showed in court.

Had the matter heard, witnesses, drawings, diagrams, photos, video etc today, all vital evidence after the defendant had schooled a witness to lie, and then lied himself. Caught out!

End result heard today - Full amount awarded + costs + interest from invoice date last year :cool::D Also has to live with the floor the way it is, no warranty etc. So all it really cost me was my time.

So my QCAT count is 1-nil! Been through the process now and know what to expect. Also has sparked us to further cover our butts regarding job steps/completion/payment etc.

pinkboy.....think Ill have a celebration cup of Dilmah!

That's good to hear,let us know when you actually get your money cause that's another problem you might have.

Please keep us updated when the full amount hits your bank account.

I hope it is in your hand now ;)

That's good to hear,let us know when you actually get your money cause that's another problem you might have.

Please keep us updated when the full amount hits your bank account.

I hope it is in your hand now ;)

You know what else is funny, we spent $55k and $50k hiring cars the past 2 financial years in his company!

He just spent $3mil building a new property, so I know he is not hard up. Owns race horses and a few places around town. He has a 'reputation' for this behaviour unfortunately, just I didnt know about it until after the fact. As soon as the 28 days ordered to pay are up and no payment, Ill go him again!

We shall see!

pinkboy

you seem like you heading on the right track pinkboy

as you can see - tribunals are not a bad thing - sometimes it is easier to go through these than to go back and forth. disputes happen everyday in life and it's mainly about who has the better arguements which in your case was you.

the only fallback is if he fails to see through to paying you. then you would have to take alternate methods to claim that debt either through a debt collector or get a sheriff to seize his assets through court etc.

stick to your guns and follow the rules.

if you know your product you will always win.

ive had to do this a few times and its not nice to have to wear the extended delay in payment, pays to have a good buffer in place for times like this.

well done.

Great job Pinkboy!

As much as we have our differences people getting ripped off is unacceptable!

Hopefully they pay you though :eek:

My dad's friend has been battling with a huge private company in the City for about 300-400k outstanding (for maintenance and general repairs jobs to their 50 story office in the city.)

Has taken him around 3 years but finally got 30k a few months ago of the outstanding money back so far.... but cost him $50k legals (to be refunded - but when?). Even after the court order for the company to pay - they have only paid a little of it back - so it may take another couple of years to receive the rest...

You know what else is funny, we spent $55k and $50k hiring cars the past 2 financial years in his company!

He just spent $3mil building a new property, so I know he is not hard up. Owns race horses and a few places around town. He has a 'reputation' for this behaviour unfortunately, just I didnt know about it until after the fact. As soon as the 28 days ordered to pay are up and no payment, Ill go him again!

We shall see!

pinkboy

dont be afraid to litigate

Im not a big user of legal services to chase dough, but there comes a time where you have to chase what is legally yours.

Many let it slip by under the assumption that its too hard and costly a process.

Nice outcome

ta
rolf

QCAT costs were approximately $200-$300, plus it cost me collectively probably 20hrs of my time and our Financial Controllers time. That should be accounted for in the interest :p

Though, even if he does pay up, there are other things that give me a headache, like his slurring of our company etc, thats the worst thing. Now Im no saint, but I know this guy fairly well now and he just does not give up when he doesnt get his own way. But, not letting that affect me.

I had pretty much wrote the funds off, so If I did win, it really only just adds to my buffer. Might even splash out and have a work BBQ tomorrow at the workshop - all my staff are in town tomorrow, which is nice as some guys dont get to see others for weeks/months depending on their site/roster arrangements!

So what did I take away from all this? My faith in 'the system' has lifted up a couple of notches.

pinkboy

Back