Career change - Fitness Instructor PT - Yolo

There are more qualified personal trainers than there are 50k paying personal training gigs. A lot start out in glorified sales positions. I had a relative who finished her PT course and worked in a gym. She was the trainer who ran the free introductory PT session. Her real job was to sign them up for membership and received a commission for doing so. Unless she made a lot of sales, the salary was rubbish. She quit after not long.

I don't enjoy bursting bubbles but considering how long you've been wanting to do this, it seems like you've done very little research.

That there was a segment on bariatric surgery on the TV is not a sign. Weight issues are constantly being discussed on TV. I can't watch TV for an hour without seeing a weight loss ad or segment. One of the reasons I avoid TV.

I go to the gym 2 - 3 times a week and I have always looked at a PT as a sort of stepping stone into something bigger and better.

The issue I find with PTs are:

No one wants your service when you get older
You got to look half decent looking to be a popular PT; experience is only half the job.
What is your long term goal; you can't be a PT forever. Salary is not high and when you settle down, your partner would rather have a guy who has a more serious job. As I said, I see a PT as a stepping stone to something bigger. You see a lot of young and mid age people doing this gig, what you going to do when you hit your 40s. Having said this, a lot of PTs are in relationships with other PT related jobs.

For the very successful PTs who have got some talent to shine above the rest, they start up their own business or somehow end up training the celebrities and rich people with cash to throw at you. Most PTs remain staggered at the same level. I guess if you really love and enjoy being able to help others, then ignore the above. Just don't be one of those PTs that thinks they know everything and talks about themselves half the time while training a client.

Don't quit. Just volunteer your time when you have some available. You'll keep fit, feel good about yourself, learn the industry and keep an income.

If you get stressed, just volunteer less. Hobbies are usually less stressful than work.

I also think you're dreaming at 50k per year for general fitness assistance.

PT definitely seems to be the "in" job at the moment

My wife did her Cert 3/4 in fitness but she already had a job lined up as a group fitness instructor on a casual basis and kept her day job (works 4 days per week). Gets $40 per class and around $150 - 300pw, but as a student she was paying $50pw for classes so a bit of a saving there to. It is really a hobby as each class probably take 1.5hrs by the time you setup and pack-up, plus every 6 weeks need to learn new routines and be assessed.

Had another friend do Cert 3/4 and couldn't / still cant find a permanent job, just does a few PT session for friends each week.

I remember a couple of years ago my local genesis gym were looking for personal trainers. They put them on low wage then the rest is commission based - you get a % of the fee. Whenever I was there the trainers seems to have clients and I used to visit at odd times.

My cousin owns a gym and she started out by getting her cert and working at the local YMCA of an evening as she had a 'normal' FT job. She did the classes like Body Combat, Body Balance etc and then PT on the side. Eventually she got enough work to make that her FT job then when she built a network she opened up her own gym which is going nuts.

thanks for the info about geneis

Ace in the Hole would know what he is talking about. He is somewhat involved in that industry.

Please don't take this as DON'T DO IT. It is more of a, get your facts together first and know what you're getting into so the shock doesn't make you run back to work.

I knew exactly what I was in for when I did my business, and when it started to get bad, I was cool with it as I was mentally prepared.

I have a HIGH stress tolerance mind you. I use to think everyone did.

Yep I'll get my facts together first and go from there.

When making my decision:

1. Job security is # 1
2. Stress free #2 (my current job is stress free and a reasonable wage too)
3. Job satisfaction #3

I need to look at the pros and con's

From reading everybodys comments on here I think maybe my best option to begin with is to do the course, which is a nightime/weekend course and follow my dream casually part time to see how I go and enjoy it and to see if it would be financially viable. I'm thinking 2 shifts per week I could handle.

If its something I cant afford to do full time then I'll just have to enjoy it as a part time career for now. I'll look at the positives as in it will bring in another income stream for me and I'll be able to invest on around $70 k per year rather than $60 k per year.

So dont worry I wont rush into anything! I think thats why the stats show only 33% of fitness instructors work full time, maybe cos the money isnt the best. I need to think of my mortgages and SANF (job security)

I'll keep trying to look for another public service full time job as well. But first things first. I need to do the course and get my life moving in this direction. Maybe when I'm older and closer to retirement I can switch to full time in this field. I'll see what happens!

I'll get my facts together and go from there.

My Brother and SIL have had two PT businesses over the last 15 years with a gap in the middle...went back for more punishment a second time. :eek::D

They did reasonably well, but their issue in the end was the hours you need to run...

Lots of very early classes, nothing through the day, and then lots of evening classes.

Being driven and precise types as they both are; they also started to get sick of folks who wanted to lose weight, but kept finding lots of excuses to cancel, not rebook etc - motivation and commitment is tough.

There are more qualified personal trainers than there are 50k paying personal training gigs. A lot start out in glorified sales positions. I had a relative who finished her PT course and worked in a gym. She was the trainer who ran the free introductory PT session. Her real job was to sign them up for membership and received a commission for doing so. Unless she made a lot of sales, the salary was rubbish. She quit after not long.

I don't enjoy bursting bubbles but considering how long you've been wanting to do this, it seems like you've done very little research.

That there was a segment on bariatric surgery on the TV is not a sign. Weight issues are constantly being discussed on TV. I can't watch TV for an hour without seeing a weight loss ad or segment. One of the reasons I avoid TV.

that tv show was just one sign. i've had a lot of signs/synchronicities, stuff thats been happening to push me along in this direction but thanks for the helpful post, i do appreciate it! :)

Alex,

For your level of stress, a government job is the only job you should be in. Anything else will have you in a screaming heap within the first month.

Find a professional, sort out your issues first, then consider doing something else.

BR

Going at it from another angle, have you considered being a dietician? You cam still advise people about exercise and losing weight but you can do it as a stable full time job

Also when i become a personal trainer I want to work as an employee for a salary as I dont want to start up a business of my own. I couldn't handle that kind of stress. Does anyone know how this works?

The question is, who will you be up against and why should someone hire you?

The last PT session I ever went on, the PT was an ex Real Estate agent...I didn't go to anymore after that...

if you're looking at this type of profession, you need to offer something more than standard PT fair. You'll also want to be a very good salesperson, as that's what it's about.

That doesnt sound right. Thats only $29 k per year ?

Anybody can be a PT, no license or formal quals required.
That means supply is unlimited.
That means you don't get much money !!! unless you go out and do your own biz, which you clearly don't want to.

Search the lifespan of the 10's of thousands of PT's who go through some quick course every year, by memory it's something between 6-18 months.
Stay safe if that's what your comfort level is.

My 1300 number is one digit out from one of the major course providers of personal trainers. Needless to say, we get a LOT of calls from young kids wanting to be come personal trainers. These courses are government funded, meaning that whilst you may pay some money for the course, they're already delivering it at a profit to you solely from the government's funding.

It seems there is an almost unlimited number of people wanting to get into this. We get calls almost daily, often on the weekends and at stupid hours of the night as well.

I'm also currently reviewing the tax returns for my own personal trainer. I've also managed to get home loans for some of his staff. Frankly they've got to be amongst the worst tax returns I've seen. $30k income seems about right. Where I've managed to get loans for his staff, it's based on their partners incomes, not the PTs.

Here's some facts:
* Unless you're the owner of the gym, you're almost guaranteed not to make any significant money.
* Even the owners of the gym rarely make significant money.
* There is a huge amount of competition in this field. The vast majority quit very quickly.
* Clients want to train before or after work, rarely during the day. Don't kid yourself, the Mum's and bub's classes are in the minority, the hours suck.

The biggest complaint my PT has about his staff is that they're almost useless at going out there and finding their own clients. They expect the gym owner to do this for them. The gym owner expects the staff to do it. Fitness First actually charges the trainers to be there, they hope to sign up people for one-on-one training just to pay off the debt.

Another one of my clients is the master franchise holder in several Australian states for a major franchise brand, you'll have seen their branded cars everywhere. She makes fantastic money. Her job is mostly selling new franchises and taking care of existing ones. She doesn't make her money from training individuals.

A third client used to manage the local 'Fitness First' gym. She quit within a year of it opening because she was tired of the pressure to constantly sell. She's now working in event management, makes good money and loves what she does.

I get that people want to go into this because they love being active and want to work with people to help them be healthy and active. I know this because it's what all the high school drop outs that ring the wrong 1300 number tell me.

As a final observation, the people who seem to do okay in this field (both male and female), are those who look good in lycra. Nobody wants a trainer who isn't in peak physical condition.

I get that people want to go into this because they love being active and want to work with people to help them be healthy and active. I know this because it's what all the high school drop outs that ring the wrong 1300 number tell me.

Ever convince one to be a MB instead?

Take it as a challenge if not.

The churn in the PT industry is huge - I've been at gyms that have new PTs just about every other week.

It is an awful industry IMO - most people don't know hardly anything and any person that has lost a bit of weight or gained a bit of muscle thinks this makes them qualified to train any other person.

As already mentioned, if job security is important to you, you should seriously consider whether getting into such a transient industry with virtually unlimited competition is what you want.

PS. I'm qualified as a PT, but don't practice because every time I've looked into it, it just hasn't been viable. I know my stuff inside out and am a good salesman who has built up a clientele base via referral before. And I still don't think it is worth my time.

I go to the gym 2 - 3 times a week and I have always looked at a PT as a sort of stepping stone into something bigger and better.

The issue I find with PTs are:

No one wants your service when you get older
You got to look half decent looking to be a popular PT; experience is only half the job.
What is your long term goal; you can't be a PT forever. Salary is not high and when you settle down, your partner would rather have a guy who has a more serious job. As I said, I see a PT as a stepping stone to something bigger. You see a lot of young and mid age people doing this gig, what you going to do when you hit your 40s. Having said this, a lot of PTs are in relationships with other PT related jobs.

For the very successful PTs who have got some talent to shine above the rest, they start up their own business or somehow end up training the celebrities and rich people with cash to throw at you. Most PTs remain staggered at the same level. I guess if you really love and enjoy being able to help others, then ignore the above. Just don't be one of those PTs that thinks they know everything and talks about themselves half the time while training a client.

This is right on the money.

***Brutal honesty alert***

When you come back down to Earth, you are going to face many challenges with an extreme career change, yourself in particular.

1. You stress too much. Far too much. Far, far too much. Lower income, more hours, more strenuous hours, energy depletion = receipe for more stress. You cant handle it now, and its not something you are going to overcome.

2. People want PT and any trainer from all professions to be inspiring and extraordinairy. Losing 33kg isnt inspiring......how did all that extra weight get there in the first place? People will pick you to pieces and see through it. People will quickly move on when they lose inspiration. What else are you going to 'rope them in', drive them, make them fear but respect you? Do you have any fight in you? Can you make them tick? People want to feed of your own training to get to your level. What level are you at so you can set the bar to these people?

3. You are only changing from a job to a job. You clearly have a comfort level in your Government job, and want to move to another job where you are just another number. Being a PT, you will be fully exposed with nowhere to hide. How are you going to handle that?

4. Idiosyncracies such as 'Oh it was a sign that a weightloss infomercial came one when I was thinking about it'. Give us a break. Besides the fact they are every second commercial, people want down to Earth people who can deal out the cold hard truth to them, and get them where they need to go. Fluff aint tough enough.

5. Your life is not in order. Move out of your parents place and be the adult you clearly are, but chose not to be. How can someone who has been mollycoddled their whole life suddenly be the force to help people? To be a PT you need to show leadership and independance so you can lead these people.

By all means take up the course and learn from it, take a year or 2 morning and night focussing on learning how you can teach these people, but seriously consider diving from the depths of a decent job to twirling on a penny to become a full time PT. You're just not cut out for it (*yet*).

pinkboy

Thanks again to everyone who has helped put things into perspective for me! I think its wise to check the facts out first and I'll do that in the coming weeks. Glad to hear all your opinions and stories from peoples experiences you've heard.

I've decided to begin with, I'll enjoy the course and look for some voluntary work experience before graduating!

Another option, and I'm talking about in the distant future here, is to get a part time public service job and a part time job in a gym. Perhaps: 80% part time public service job or 4 days a week or 9 am to 3.30 pm public service job and work some mornings/nights in a gym. That might be an idea!! This might have to wait for a while till I could afford to do this though. I'll see.

Whoever said that I had'nt researched this are wrong btw. This was the reason I decided to put off this idea of this kind of full time work because of the pay. I knew from previous research the pay wouldn't be as good as my current job and the security wouldnt be as good as a permanent public servant. I think the emotion of the whole situation got to me and didnt weigh up all the pro's and con's yet. :)

Back