Career change - Fitness Instructor PT - Yolo

Alex,

For your level of stress, a government job is the only job you should be in. Anything else will have you in a screaming heap within the first month.

Find a professional, sort out your issues first, then consider doing something else.

BR

Hi, just to let you guys know and I dont think many of you know this. I do see a professional. I see 2. I have a mental health condition where its vital I keep my stress levels down. :) I see a regular pyschologst and pyshiatrist. I also go to group sessions :) Yep, always working on my issues to keep balanced and healthy. Stress impacts on my condition which means when/if there are major stressful life events it can and often is a trigger for me. Also conflicts impact me too. Actually the last one I had where I had an unresolved issue I coped ok, I was down for a little while but after talking it over and using my coping strategies i've pulled through fine! From experience and new learned behaviours things have improved tremendously for me. I also dont have trouble now in getting to sleep which is major progress for me. Problems used to keep me up at night. I need my 7-8 hours to function.

Yeah I think i have to agree with you. I'm seeing things clearly now. Of utmost importance to me is my mental health and to be in a pretty good paying and permanent public service job that is stress free and secure (sanf) is the best thing for me! It also means longevity in my life. Less sickness. I have to pace myself to get to retirement.

That is the reason why I keep changing investment strategies too. I would love to do some of the things people do on here like developments but its just not for me. It would kill me! I'll go for the buy and hold. 4 or 5 buy and holds over the next 20 years is achievable for me. I'd actually be happy to retire in my early 60's on around the same salary as I'm on today. So property investing is a bit stressful for me but if I dont invest I would be far more stressed about how I would survive come retirement age on the pittance you would get from super. :)

interesting thanks

oh and ps off topic.... i look good in lycra...... i look pretty good in anything haha even for a 40 year old ;) :p i definatley look the part haha

My 1300 number is one digit out from one of the major course providers of personal trainers. Needless to say, we get a LOT of calls from young kids wanting to be come personal trainers. These courses are government funded, meaning that whilst you may pay some money for the course, they're already delivering it at a profit to you solely from the government's funding.

It seems there is an almost unlimited number of people wanting to get into this. We get calls almost daily, often on the weekends and at stupid hours of the night as well.

I'm also currently reviewing the tax returns for my own personal trainer. I've also managed to get home loans for some of his staff. Frankly they've got to be amongst the worst tax returns I've seen. $30k income seems about right. Where I've managed to get loans for his staff, it's based on their partners incomes, not the PTs.

Here's some facts:
* Unless you're the owner of the gym, you're almost guaranteed not to make any significant money.
* Even the owners of the gym rarely make significant money.
* There is a huge amount of competition in this field. The vast majority quit very quickly.
* Clients want to train before or after work, rarely during the day. Don't kid yourself, the Mum's and bub's classes are in the minority, the hours suck.

The biggest complaint my PT has about his staff is that they're almost useless at going out there and finding their own clients. They expect the gym owner to do this for them. The gym owner expects the staff to do it. Fitness First actually charges the trainers to be there, they hope to sign up people for one-on-one training just to pay off the debt.

Another one of my clients is the master franchise holder in several Australian states for a major franchise brand, you'll have seen their branded cars everywhere. She makes fantastic money. Her job is mostly selling new franchises and taking care of existing ones. She doesn't make her money from training individuals.

A third client used to manage the local 'Fitness First' gym. She quit within a year of it opening because she was tired of the pressure to constantly sell. She's now working in event management, makes good money and loves what she does.

I get that people want to go into this because they love being active and want to work with people to help them be healthy and active. I know this because it's what all the high school drop outs that ring the wrong 1300 number tell me.

As a final observation, the people who seem to do okay in this field (both male and female), are those who look good in lycra. Nobody wants a trainer who isn't in peak physical condition.

Screw being a PT.. Too many "experts" out there that do a 6 week course
And think they know everything...
Ie- shocking techniques taught to noobs.

Im surprised after being a gym go'er for so many years now
That they still dont have there own deitians in the gym
Day in day out the same obese ppl are trained by these "expert"
Yet there is never any change in there physiques ya know why?

DIET

80% is done outside the gym in the kitchen
The other 20% is in the gym

But then there are 100's of thousands of online trainers these days
Also

Not a P/T but a 5 time per week gym attendee when im not away from home,

over the years ive met people who have gone from lawyers, engineers, unemployed to PT, its definitely a lifestyle choice, as you said, life is not all about money,

That being said over recent years, all those ads and tech schools have been promoting and spitting out PTs like wildfire. Study for a few months and become a fully qualified PT type of approach,

as a result, you have heaps of PTs that are underqualified and have never stepped in an gym, let alone know what the difference between a incline bench press vs bench press.

plus with the promise of an easy, glamorous lifestyle, reality is often different,

often the large franchised gyms will charge you high rent to use their gym, say $200 per week, which is a lot as a fixed fee.
some smaller gyms will charge you say $10 per visit/client

if you can walk the walk (ie you arent overweight or have no idea), and are personable, and you find a good setup, you should do fine!

I know a lot of people who do PTs across 2-3 gyms to maximise their clienete,

I know one guy that went from tubby kid, to PT to opening his own gym while running seminars, plus clients around the world! all in teh space of 5 years!

Good luck

ouch this really hurt :( but I can understand your reply as you dont have all the facts about me and dont know what I go through. Please see at the top of page 3 where I talk about my mental health condition.

Thank you though, I did need to hear this. All of it. Its blunt/sounds harsh but important for me to hear so thank you! :) Yes I have challenges in life which I have to manage. Some times I go ok for a while and then something will happen in my life where I might go a bit off the rails but I'm improving in how I handle situations and events that happen.

***Brutal honesty alert***

When you come back down to Earth, you are going to face many challenges with an extreme career change, yourself in particular.

1. You stress too much. Far too much. Far, far too much. Lower income, more hours, more strenuous hours, energy depletion = receipe for more stress. You cant handle it now, and its not something you are going to overcome.

5. Your life is not in order. Move out of your parents place and be the adult you clearly are, but chose not to be. How can someone who has been mollycoddled their whole life suddenly be the force to help people? To be a PT you need to show leadership and independance so you can lead these people.

By all means take up the course and learn from it, take a year or 2 morning and night focussing on learning how you can teach these people, but seriously consider diving from the depths of a decent job to twirling on a penny to become a full time PT. You're just not cut out for it (*yet*).

pinkboy

yey im finally out of the closet :D There is still such a strong stigma with mental health, i guess i was too scared to come out and talk about it and let people know. Maybe people will understand me better now haha :p It would explain so many ip strategy changes i've made lol :D

now i really must turn off the computer and go and clean before mum and dad get back from their holidays lmao. kitchen especially needs mopping

seeya :)

If I had a heart condition, I would either avoid things that would aggravate it, or train myself to compensate for it.

I wouldn't just ignore it and try to run a marathon.

Or research lots of marathons, get myself worked up over doing them, only to pull out at the last minute because, really, I'll kill myself.

yey im finally out of the closet :D There is still such a strong stigma with mental health, i guess i was too scared to come out and talk about it and let people know. Maybe people will understand me better now haha :p It would explain so many ip strategy changes i've made lol :D

Don't want to sound rude... but this kind of came across in your posts pretty early on....... This could be a good thing for you, emotive writing is difficult, Why not start a blog on fitness and the issues you overcame to loose weight and get you life on track? there are lots of "how to's" out there and some people make good money from it. ie http://markmanson.net/

That doesnt sound right. Thats only $29 k per year ?

You'd be lucky to make that much. Where I live they run 6 week courses that turn people into 'fitness trainers', and HEAPS of people are doing them.

Today walking though the city I was approached by two separate 'fitness trainers' asking if I wanted to come to free bootcamp sessions (ie trying to drum up business).

The good 'fitness trainers' would be lucky to make $29k per year. As an inexperienced graduate of a course I frankly think you'd be lucky to even find paid work.

I agree with posters above: do the course at night then start up after hours. Swapping a stable government job for something like this is nuts, especially if you're a stress-head.

Best of luck with what you decide.

That is the reason why I keep changing investment strategies too. I would love to do some of the things people do on here like developments but its just not for me. It would kill me! I'll go for the buy and hold. 4 or 5 buy and holds over the next 20 years is achievable for me. I'd actually be happy to retire in my early 60's on around the same salary as I'm on today. So property investing is a bit stressful for me but if I dont invest I would be far more stressed about how I would survive come retirement age on the pittance you would get from super. :)

Seriously I think this is a great way forward for you. We read lots of threads here about doing this renovating or that development and making buckets of money, which is great and inspirational. It's also hard work, risky and does take a certain type of person to pull it off.

Not everybody can be the next young gun, or go from 1 to 130 properties in 3.5 years. Despite these people often saying they're not special, they do have certain personality types and attitudes that allow them to achieve these result. Not everyone has this ability regardless of what they learn or who helps them.

However it doesn't take that much to do better than the average person, you just need to do something and stick with it. Periodically and consistently buying an IP within your means does deliver results. Imagine owning 4 or 5 IPs outright by retirement age. This is actually achievable for most people.

All you have to do is take the steps to actually buy the IPs, then take 20 years for the rent to pay them off. It's not rocket science and does deliver financial success in retirement. The trick is getting started, then staying the course over the long term. It takes a little sacrifice and patience, but it is very low risk and not really that hard.

I've seen people with challenges have incredible success. I've also seen people with challenges take some risks that they weren't ready for and end up in a downward spiral, constantly trying one thing after another. The evidence is right here on the forum if you dig for it.

If you're happy and comfortable where you are, that's not a bad thing. Challenges are good but this doesn't have to be around taking financial risks, they can be personal as well. Financial security is also achievable for anyone if they can figure it out, but not everyone can or has to become a tycoon.

Live your life for yourself because you only get to do it once, you don't have to impress anyone but yourself. Reach for the moon. You may be disappointed that you only made it into the sky at first, but give it time and you reach the stars. Most of all be happy.

If you feel like watching a movie, watch "Mr Hollands Opus". It's about a musician who wants to write music and conduct on the national and international stage. He takes a teaching job temporarily whilst he's writing his first opus. His wife gets pregnant, life presents it's challenges and gets in the way so he has to keep working at the high school teaching music. The whole time he's saying he'll be out of there in a few years once he gets it together.

On his retirement from the same music teaching job at the high school, his current and prior students finally play his opus. He realize that whilst he hasn't achieved the original success he dreamed of, he's touched hundreds of lives and has left a legacy.

losing my 33 kg.

I think I found that 33 kg you lost. :)

I say go for it. Don't worry about quittting your job. What is the worst thing that can happen? You spend some money, learn some stuff and have a new skill. If it doesn't work out you can always just go and get a new job.

Nothing wrong with it mate. I have friends in similar positions and nobody would ever know. People would be shocked as some are highly involved in super stressful careers (their breakdowns at home nobody sees - I've spent hours talking to them on the phone or hoping they pick up in order to get them to eat, making sure they make their psychologist/psychiatrist appointments).

To be buying IPs and planning ahead regardless is commendable.

As previously mentioned. In the real world we all start at different places with different tools at our disposal. The problem with self help stuff is it says anyone can do it when this truly is not the case.

You're doing great with the tools you have atm. Keep at it.

+1 for doing it part time to give it a trial

Don't expect every trainee to be as committed as you were

Don't throw in your day job ;)

Gym Ad 1 :D

Gym Ad 2 :D

I have friends that make good money with PT and Group Fitness (incl Kids) sessions, but it's not an easy road

Alex, definitely consider doing the PT stuff 'on the side' while keeping your govvy job. This is what I do with teaching the flute. Music lessons are either before or after school or work. I teach twice a week from my home, on Tuesdays and Thursdays. It's something I absolutely love doing, so I have Tuesday and Thursday afternoons to look forward to! I have ten different students learning how to play the flute, ranging in ages from 5 to early 40s, and each of them is different in their skills and abilities, which I really enjoy. All this while I still have the security of my full time job as well, which pays the bills (plus a little bit extra).

Trust me, if you love PT as much as you say, you will be able to find a way for this kind of set up to work. You're tired at the end of the week, but it's worth it - I get so much enjoyment from teaching music, and I'm sure you would be the same with PT.

Just whatever you do, don't throw in the full time job. That would be seriously silly, particularly as you only have your income - no second income to fall back on if times are tough.

By Alex. I do FIFO, most camps I'm at have an onsite health coordinator ( basically a pt ) they do things ranging from programs, fitness classes, entertainment/sport nights, charity fundraisers etc.
At my site there are 2 on a 8 days on 6 off roster earning about 80k pa.

Something to look into maybe?

Hi Alex
What is your current exercise regime like? When do you exercise? When you become a gym instructor or pt you may have to change your routine because you are training others instead. Afterwards you may not feel like training yourself.

I would look check out some local tafes and see if they run night or weekend courses. I am not sure if things have changed but previously there was a 40hr placement requirement to complete to gain certification. This would be a good start for you to try the potential new job before moving on from the old.

The pay for a gym instructor is not great even the pt and group fitness gigs are not that well paid if you work for someone else. I am not sure how many full time jobs there are as part time and casual seem the norm.

IMHO you need to really love it and get a lot of personal satisfaction from it. Otherwise you can get paid better obtaining an rsa lisence and pouring beers.

A good story here well worth the read

So you want to be a personal trainer?

It seems like the perfect anti-corporate career, but is it really a dream job?

Clicky Link

Also

Job Outlook.Gov.Au (still a growth industry).

Job Prospects

Data on Job Outlook are updated on a yearly basis and are compiled from national statistics which may not reflect either regional variations or more recent changes in employment conditions.

• Over the five years to November 2017, the number of job openings for Fitness Instructors is expected to be above average (between 25,001 and 50,000). Job openings can arise from employment growth and people leaving the occupation.
  • Employment for Fitness Instructors to November 2017 is expected to grow strongly. Employment in this large occupation (26,200 in November 2012) rose very strongly in the past five years and in the long-term (ten years).
  • Fitness Instructors have a relatively low proportion of full-time jobs (34.4 per cent). For Fitness Instructors working full-time, average weekly hours are 40.8 (compared to 41.3 for all occupations) and earnings are low - in the second decile. Unemployment for Fitness Instructors is below average.
  • Fitness Instructors are mainly employed in Other Services, Arts and Recreation Services and Education and Training.
Key Indicators

4521KI.gif

Back