QLD: Acid Sulphate soil zone

Hello, does anyone have experience with property located over a zoned acid sulphate soil zone.

Looking at a few properties in Logan area and a few fall under this zone.

Any advice would be appreciated.

What specifically would you like to know?
I'm a env scientist in WA and deal with Acid Sulphates regularly.

Wow impressive.
I'm looking to buy a property in Logan area. It is under a acid sulphate overlay zone.

"Potential and actual sulphates >5mAHD, <20m AHD".
Light brown with dark brown dots on the Loganpd council zoning website.

Just would like to know of this is an issue that would affect property prices?
Would it deter buyers in the future?
If development works, say a subdivision was done and another dwelling put on the rear in the future would it be a major issue with council.

I don't know of this is a common zoning or something that is a red flag for this area when purchasing that I'm glad I looked into.

Any advice is appreciated.

It may impact development costs as any excavation of A.S.S. can be quite costly as the material has to be sent to a licenced treatment facility. You will not be able to re-use A.S.S/PASS on site (without treatment), which means finding more dirt . This of course only applies if you are excavating into the acid sulfate zone <20mAHD >5mAHD and in WA depends on the volumes involved (I'm not familiar with QLD legislation). Best bet is to survey the site to work out what the ground level is in mAHD (Australian height datum) and determine if the development requires Sulfate soil interaction before development. This is something to consider if you will have to install or relocate underground services.

If you can develop ect without disturbing the soil you should be fine with no issues, however if you have to excavate to Sulfate soil depth it can become quite costly. I'm not super familiar with residential development and whether it involves a lot of below ground work.

I can't see why it would impact property prices nearby unless there has been major mismanagement of Acid sulfates nearby, probably worth researching though.
This article might give you a good idea of the consequences
http://www.abc.net.au/stateline/wa/content/2004/s1056304.htm

Back