QLD Floods and Property Prices

Three-quarters of QLD has been declared a disaster zone, and the wave of water is heading straight for Brisbane which is expected to flood worse than in 1974.

How badly are QLDs property prices expected to decline?

Would anyone like to share their experiences with the 1974 Brisbane flood?

And Im guessing that once everything has settled down in QLD, then that would be the best time to buy property again?

Also who can answer this question. Would a flood damaged property be a good buy for your money or a good bye to your money?

If you think wet property will be price affected in the negative will you also think Dry property will be affected in the positive?

From memory, I cant remember prices being affected in 74, but it was a long time ago and flood prone property has recently been the most expensive in Brisbane.

Will there be any net effect on the median price? I suppose there will be a slight effect flowing on from the impact on the flood on the economy reducing the capital buyers have with which to bid up prices. However, I wonder whether on the whole the median would not move much, but the differential between flood-prone and flood-safe properties may increase as buyers are prepared to pay a higher premium to live on higher ground?

How about buying a house which doesn't flood but is *in* a flooded area?

Its neighbours will help drag its price down but at the same time you don't have to take the risk of being flooded.

One thing to consider is that post-flood it is possible that regulations will be reformed to not be allowed to build in certain areas. So that is something else to take into account when deciding. One could argue that part of the reason why these areas were in the past cheap and underdeveloped was because they tended to well, flood (e.g. Ipswich, Caboolture). And people just forgot in the development mania and drought.

On the other hand with the New Orleans and Victorian bushfire examples in mind, the politicans will want to appear strong and "we will rebuild" even if the experts say "will flood/burn again do not rebuild" so you probably don't have to consider that possibility after all.

But if Suncorp fails or if the problems in Qld cause serious effects on the wider national economy e.g. a run on the currency, I wouldn't buy at all.

Last edited:
Three-quarters of QLD has been declared a disaster zone, and the wave of water is heading straight for Brisbane which is expected to flood worse than in 1974.

How badly are QLDs property prices expected to decline?

Would anyone like to share their experiences with the 1974 Brisbane flood?

And Im guessing that once everything has settled down in QLD, then that would be the best time to buy property again?
It's a tragic event that has already claimed lives in different parts of the state, so that should be kept in mind always.

In terms of effects clearer answers will be gained by looking back in six months, I am guessing that it will be business as usual by then and the much more important drivers of property prices will still be firmly in control (credit, employment, population growth, price of tea in China etc).

We had another extreme weather event only recently in QLD, which was drought, which also exacts a high price in human and economic capital, that didn't seem to generate the reaction we are seeing at the moment I think. Perhaps that's due to the 24/7 nature of modern media coverage and the way that can amplify feelings and emotion, just have a look at the business Woolies, Coles and the small food retailers have done today, would have been record days for many I would guess.

Main point is that's a lot of people will need help and will have lost loved ones and homes so perhaps a small donation wouldn't go astray.

http://www.qld.gov.au/floods/donate.html

Last edited:
How about buying a house which doesn't flood but is *in* a flooded area?

Its neighbours will help drag its price down but at the same time you don't have to take the risk of being flooded.

I can remember the 74 floods - just. I was a little kid :)
My Dad took this approach. We lived in Newstead in '74 (we didn't go under)
Anyway after the floods..Dad bought 2 houses in NewFarm that had gone under. He got them at really low prices as the people were not insured :(

Both houses were workers cottages on low stumps (600mm) Dad recorded the flood height and had some pictures of the house under water. He raised the house on high stumps and painted white lines on every stump to show where the '74 level was. These houses rented really quickly and for a premium price.

I don't know how long it took for people to really discount the flood risk, but eventually Dad built in unerneath those houses, tarted them up to suit the "cosmopolitan" nature if the "new"New Farm and sold them off.

re

Re

I think it really depends on how many people died in a certain town in comparison to the size of the town, and also if there is any fatality for the property itself. If people remember the Black Saturday, at this stage, there are still alot of empty blocks and for sale signs in the township of Kinglake (I have friends who lives there), and the price there haven't moved.

My impression is that as soon as the flood passes, many renters on the low lying areas of Brisbane would want to move to the higher areas in months/years to come. Which in effect could drop the prices of the lower lying areas in the short to medium term (months to years). This in addition to 'flash' selling by investors or home occupiers without insurance.

Warrenkh.2011

Today's Matusik Missive is an interesting read. It's a free email service so will post it in full.

The Queensland flood has sadly led to tragedy, with the loss of several lives and billions of dollars in property damage. I debated with myself, especially given the awful events in Toowoomba, whether to comment, but too much of the coverage, especially concerning the economy, is overly negative.

These floods, catastrophic as they are, can ultimately have some positive results, setting up not only Queensland, but much of Australia, for an economic boom in the years to come. This, perhaps, is the circuit breaker that has been missing - this year’s probable factor X and a key ingredient to restore long term confidence. We have been waiting for a GFC-induced Armageddon, which hasn’t arrived; but instead of getting on with our lives, many of us still have our fists clenched ready to fight something, anything - even shadows. But now a fight has arrived, and after it all settles down, the rebound is likely to be very strong.

The stoic nature of those directly involved heightens one’s pride is being Australian and is resonating around the country and overseas. These images, which are being beamed around the globe, will have more impact than any artsy jingle or smart-**** tourism one liner. Even the big-O’s recent visit cannot top this. Mark my word, tourism down under will improve once this calms down; and not by those who want to gawk at the damage but because people travel to places with character. This event, and the way those affected are handling it, reinforces our image overseas – tough, can-do, stoic, mateship and a land of extremes.

Yes, the short-term economic negative impacts will be high but there is also a sliver lining. Flood assistance is costly, but it is generally a one-off, upfront expense. Whilst inflationary, the good news is that these floods are unlikely to influence the RBA’s thinking on interest rates.

Global demand for coal remains strong, contract prices are on the rise and once the Queensland mines are pumped dry and the coal is loaded onto ships, it will be worth more, helping to offset any losses. Similar factors are at play for the farming sector. Yes the floods have destroyed crops, but also increased soil moisture for the future.

To a large extent, the effect of the floods on the economy is a timing issue, slowing down growth now, but adding to it once rebuilding efforts are underway.

Sadly, it is breaking our hearts, but not our will.

Matusik

If you think wet property will be price affected in the negative will you also think Dry property will be affected in the positive?
I think this is an important point. The dry areas will be boosted and the wet areas adversely effected. There is also the immediate effect that there are expected to be 20,000 households (assuming those homes are occupied) displaced and this is going to put pressure on the supply of rental homes (although many will stay with friends/relatives). How strong this effect is and how long it lasts depends on how long the waters remain and how long it takes to make those homes habitable again.

I think this is an important point. The dry areas will be boosted and the wet areas adversely effected.

But the other part of my post also said

From memory, I cant remember prices being affected in 74
and
flood prone property has recently been the most expensive in Brisbane.

How much is waterfront land in Bulimba, Tennyson, Yeronga, West End, Brisbane CBD etc etc etc worth again and it all floods.

How much is waterfront land in Bulimba, Tennyson, Yeronga, West End, Brisbane CBD etc etc etc worth again and it all floods.
Yes, I guess it's the same risk as having a seafront property. Some people value the views etc. over the risk from water damage. Maybe they will revise their priorities after this. I don't know.

I too was struck by the interviews on tv where those affected were not so much cracking jokes, but definately smiling in the face of adversity.

I agree, it's a great face we have put on for the international world to see...much better than our pouting over the cricket losses.

I agree and rents will go up now as well so the holding costs will be lower
I have already got marketing material from selling agents mentioning how rental prices will be facing upwards pressure.. so a good time to buy, not endorsing or refuting the practice but just mentioning what I'm seeing.

The selling agent has offered to donate 1k for every purchase to the premiers flood appeal I should mention.

From another site.

"I don't know how things will pan out here, but in recent years parts of the UK, particularly Wales, started suffering more floods.

As a result it became nigh on impossible to get insurance, or for that matter, mortgages, and houses effectively became unsaleable in whole swathes of the low lying flood planes.

Might be some bargains coming up for strong swimming cash buyers only. "

I should add that although I don't Know the area well, I recently golfed with a couple of Businessmen from up that way, who seemed to think property prices in some parts had been pretty much hammered before the floods, and a few of the developers they knew were in deep trouble, and banks were hovering around others.

Today's Matusik Missive is an interesting read.

These floods, catastrophic as they are, can ultimately have some positive results, setting up not only Queensland, but much of Australia, for an economic boom in the years to come.

Broken Window Fallacy

Global demand for coal remains strong, contract prices are on the rise and once the Queensland mines are pumped dry and the coal is loaded onto ships, it will be worth more, helping to offset any losses.

Supply & Demand: Expecting prices to remain high once disrupted supply comes back online.

I think that with about 10-20k displaced...this will put pressure in existing accomodation. Rents should start pushing up.

A lot of people will be traumatised by the floods and will be very reluctant to live in flood prone areas. Over the short term this will affect prices in these areas.

Back