Qld Granny Flat

I just recently enquired with Gympie regional council about adding a granny flat onto the back of a large block. The planning officer was really vague, she basically said the block only needed to be greater than 800sq mtrs. She then said I'd have to apply for approval for the building and for the block to become multi-dwelling. When I questioned her about all this, she said it's case by case. So I'd have to buy the property, then apply and be potentially rejected. I'd need to know that i could do it before buying the property, so this seems impossible.

Gympie treats it like most other Qld Councils. Very hard to get through unless you have the correct zoning and then those blocks are probably better used for townhouses or units etc.

The woman from council seemed to think it would be totally fine. But 'totally fine' is too vague for me to borrow a few hundred thousand on. There are loads of people living in unapproved sheds on blocks of land out the back of Gympie, so maybe vague is just fine for Gympie Regional Council.

Cityplan 2012 tightens everything up and explicitly defines that a house including a secondary dwelling can only contain one household
Household
An individual or a group of two or more related or unrelated people who reside in the dwelling, with the common intention to live together on a long-term basis and who make common provision for food or other essentials for living.

What's your take on the CityPlan 2012's Household definition, namely "common provision for food and other essentials for living"?

I don't see how this reconciles with "reality" when a secondary dwelling is self contained and normally contains it's own kitchen.

Does this mean that BCC will no longer approve kitchens in secondary dwellings (like the dark old days of certain councils)?

What's your take on the CityPlan 2012's Household definition, namely "common provision for food and other essentials for living"?

I don't see how this reconciles with "reality" when a secondary dwelling is self contained and normally contains it's own kitchen.

Does this mean that BCC will no longer approve kitchens in secondary dwellings (like the dark old days of certain councils)?

I think they still will, that definition will assist council in the room rental situations.

Maybe some assumption that the shopping is done by the main family for granny.

Not sure how it will all play out yet.

very interesting guys. Thanks very much to everyone for their input into this thread.

I have a 4 bedroom home. I rent 3 bedrooms separately to boarders. I charge them 160/week each and this includes electricity and internet etc. When I advertise I advertise it at $140/week. And then explain that its just $20/week for the bills.

Is what I am doing perfectly legal? And also I thought many years ago, my accountant told me that I didn't need to claim income from my PPOR if I didn't want to. The property I owned at that stage I only had 1 bedroom rented for 30/week or something like that... Should I be claiming income and expences on my PPOR in my current circumstance?

All feedback will be much appreciated :)

Thanks,
Clint.

very interesting guys. Thanks very much to everyone for their input into this thread.

I have a 4 bedroom home. I rent 3 bedrooms separately to boarders. I charge them 160/week each and this includes electricity and internet etc. When I advertise I advertise it at $140/week. And then explain that its just $20/week for the bills.

Is what I am doing perfectly legal? And also I thought many years ago, my accountant told me that I didn't need to claim income from my PPOR if I didn't want to. The property I owned at that stage I only had 1 bedroom rented for 30/week or something like that... Should I be claiming income and expences on my PPOR in my current circumstance?

All feedback will be much appreciated :)

Thanks,
Clint.

Also interested to hear a reply to this one.

I think your advertisement is legal. I do it exactly the same way. But I haven't heard anything solid on whether you have to declare income from ppor from boarders.

The thing is, if they make you pay tax on income from a PPOR from boarders, then by rights you should be able to claim all expenses related to getting that income, aka all your interest payments, insurance payments, rates, etc... and those deductions would be more than your income and the tax department would end up owing you money.

Boarders are different then tenants. Council sees it differently. Besides you have no more than 5 un related parties. Looks good to me.

Boarders are different then tenants. Council sees it differently. Besides you have no more than 5 un related parties. Looks good to me.

Thanks for confirming that RPI.

I'm wondering what the tax implications would be. I might have to annoy my accountant friend with some questions :p

Interesting that the rules between NSW and QLD are so different.

In NSW you can rent the two properties independently without any issues... though if they ever did reverse it would really suck.

Hi Nek,
The NSW Government cannot reverse their affordable housing policy. This would be in itself illegal since they permitted it, no?

They could of course stop the legislation but with the housing crisis set to exponentially increase, that ain't gonna happen.

In fact, their about to allow 'Fonzie Flats' on inner city corner blocks. This is where you can subdivide a corner block or even split a house into two titles- like units or flats.

It's only getting msquishier in Sydney, so it won't be reversed. It will be expanced.

I actually received a call from the Head of Planning NSW (Policy Coordinator -David Birds) on Friday and he said some very interesting stuff...stay tuned.

Brazen.

Hmmm a timely read. I have a small 2x1 brick house I am considering building above and behind, keeping the existing dwelling as a granny flat and the reno as a PPOR. Looks like that may not be viable. :(

Logan Planning Laws
(f) forms 1 household with the house;

The question specifically relates to annexed unit in Logan Council.

Another forum indicates it is possible for annexed units in LCC to be leased separately.
http://tinyurl.com/khrzg7b

The same author also indicate this publicly in this company website
http://tinyurl.com/k7xsrhh

I then further googled 'annexed units', the following popped up, which LCC Fact Sheets for Annexed Units.
http://tinyurl.com/la4pxcc

I can see the clause in the Fact Sheets (for Logan Planning Scheme 2006): "forms one household with the house"
However, the LCC in the fact sheets describes "household" as:
household means an individual or a group of individuals whether related or unrelated living together as a single domestic unit.

I understand your earlier post, BCC CityPlan 2012 household is described as:
An individual or a group of two or more related or unrelated people who reside in the dwelling, with the common intention to live together on a long-term basis and who make common provision for food or other essentials for living.

So there seems to be a difference in interpretation of 'household'

Question:
Will LCC allow Annexed Units be leased out to 2 separate Tenants that are unrelated. (I am aware of the shared laundry, or Self Contained Vs Annexed Units)?
Will LCC have their own proposed plan, or they will follow the BCC CityPlan 2012?

Some promising sign for Logan

dual occupancy (dual key) code for Logan - hoping that is adopted. Makes sense. Brisbane city council can stick to their old school rules!

Back