Quantity Surveyor

Hi everyone

If anyone is able to assist with the name of a Quanity Surveyor that would be able to complete a schedule in Wodonga Victoria, could you please advise. I have contacted a number of companies and the cost at this stage is about $1400 - $1600. They charge a large amount for the travel.

thanks
Jewel

Hello Jewell,

Have you tried contacting the local QS's in the city? A quick look in the Yellow pages showed me:

Padgham & Partners Pty Ltd
429 Swift St Albury NSW 2640
ph: (02) 6021 8736

Don't know anything about them, sorry.

I also found the usual companies such as Deppro either did not cover regional areas or charged a lot for travel.

I arranged for a local QS to look at a house in Wagga Wagga in August and when I called him last week, he said that he hadn't gotten around to it yet! This may be an indication for you. The other local QS didn't deign to reply to phone or fax so I was a little stuck.

Good luck!

Kenny

Re: Re: Quantity Surveyor

Hi

A client of mine who is overseas at the moment has tried using Padgham's and was quoted about $1,500 for a property in Wodonga . . .

Ouch!!

The report is still being organised so I cannot comment on the presentation yet.

Dale

Originally posted by Kenny
Hello Jewell,

Have you tried contacting the local QS's in the city? A quick look in the Yellow pages showed me:

Padgham & Partners Pty Ltd
429 Swift St Albury NSW 2640
ph: (02) 6021 8736

Don't know anything about them, sorry.

I also found the usual companies such as Deppro either did not cover regional areas or charged a lot for travel.

I arranged for a local QS to look at a house in Wagga Wagga in August and when I called him last week, he said that he hadn't gotten around to it yet! This may be an indication for you. The other local QS didn't deign to reply to phone or fax so I was a little stuck.

Good luck!

Kenny

Hi

It might be worth reminding everyone that the tax law does not make a quantity surveyor the only person who can provide a depreciation schedule on an investment property.

A client of mine had huge trouble finding a QS to come to a little country town in NSW far from any of the bigger cities and th eprices quoted were horrendous. Instead, he spoke to a building project manager who prepared a very good report for about $300.

So, perhaps this might help?

Below is a transcript of the tax ruling TD94/D67 . . .

. A deduction is allowable under section 124ZH in respect of qualifying capital expenditure incurred on the construction of, or an extension, alteration or improvement to certain income-producing buildings. Section 124ZG defines qualifying expenditure to be the actual capital expenditure incurred in constructing, extending, altering or improving an eligible building.

2. In circumstances where a taxpayer is genuinely unable to precisely determine the actual cost of the building, it is accepted that an estimate of the cost of construction by a quantity» «surveyor or 'other independent qualified person' may be used: see paragraph 19 of Taxation Ruling IT 2640. However, some doubt has arisen as to who will be accepted as a 'qualified person'.

3. It is considered that a qualified person is someone who has expertise in the calculation of the original cost of construction and who would be likely to be accepted by a court or tribunal as an expert witness on the issue of calculating the cost of construction. That expertise may have been acquired through a course of study or relevant experience in providing building cost estimates over a significant period of time.

4. The attainment of relevant professional qualifications or recognition by an appropriate professional association or organisation would be indicative of expertise in this field.

5. Unless they are otherwise qualified, valuers, real estate agents, accountants and solicitors generally have neither the relevant qualifications nor experience to make such an estimate.

6. Appropriately qualified people might include:

·
a clerk of works, such as a project organiser for major building projects;
·
a supervising architect who approves payments at each stage in major projects and who may approve individual payments to subcontractors in smaller projects;
·
a builder who is experienced in estimating construction costs of similar building projects; or
·
another person who is suitably qualified or has experience in providing estimates or costings in similar building projects.
7. The onus of proving that a person has the required expertise rests with the taxpayer. That will be an issue of fact in each case.

Cheers

Dale

My experience: BMT and Associates in Melbourne did a dep. schedule for me on an IP in Adelaide. I sent over purchase details and lots of photos. Did a nice looking report and found lots of deductions. Cost about $450 12 months ago.
(I have no affiliations etc!)
Terry

I tried to use Deppro for a job here in Newcastle. They quoted $800+. I think they might have been coming up from Sydney.

The folks at BMT were just as professional and charged me half the price.

Cheers,

Originally posted by dtraeger2k
Just based on photos, are you worried about its accuracy?
If they get it wrong, who is liable to the ATO ?
Would it be the taxpayer, or BMT ?

If BMT are a qualified QS or similar (as recognised by the ATO), then I would assume that the ATO would have to hold them responsible. The ATO after all, go to great pains to ensure that only qualified people are allowed to do these reports.

I'm not worried about accuracy - not much to get wrong. Ordinary 2br, 1bath 1960's home unit, one of a duplex, with wall a/c. I filled out their form stating age & condition of fixtures, fittings, carpets etc.
BMT wouldn't risk reputation trying to make excessive claim IMHO.
Still my responsibility with ATO I would think. If concerned on particular item I could always claim less than the report indicates!
Take a look at www.bmtassoc.com.au.
Terry

Last edited:
Hi ABCD,

To quote Dale's quote.
"7. The onus of proving that a person has the required expertise rests with the taxpayer. That will be an issue of fact in each case. "

ie, our responsibility.

-Regards

Dave

I spoke to Depro when they were still HTW, and the guy I spoke to suggested that I get him to travel and do many properties in one hit - that way the average cost per property dropped.

If you need a QS to go regional, perhaps see if there are any other investors in the same area that also need a report done.

Back