Queenslander relocation and residential subdivision

Last night I finished editing the time-lapse video I made of the house move. I thought it was good enough to deserve its own thread.

The battens are finished. We have three gates in them for storing stuff under the house. The handyman also replaced a couple of chamfer boards that had a bit of rot. I talked to him about the bracing, and he had a squizz up in the ceiling from the man hole. He will take a couple of sheets off to get access from the roof to nail on the speed brace. He'll do it tomorrow if it's not raining as forecast.

The sparky is hoping it will rain tomorrow to cool the place down before he has to get up in the ceiling (Today was another stinker!). He started installing the fire alarms today. We need four of them to comply because each bedroom has two doors and they need to be within 3 m of each door.

lovely home

I never get sick of looking at the old home, it's just spectacular inside & out!

so glad you saved it. Was it under any heritage overlay?

Was it under any heritage overlay?

There was no heritage overlay, thankfully. It's the only really old house in the area. The surrounding houses are mostly from the 1950s, 1970s, and 2000s, when the surrounding land was successively released.

I think the only heritage overlays in town are where there are a row of neighbouring heritage houses.

Unsnagged!

We got the bracing installed on Tuesday. I got up in the roof when they were done and took some piccies and sent them off to the engineer. I called him this afternoon and he will issue us with a Form 16 compliance notice. That snag is dealt with! I asked again about the drawings for the deck and he said he didn't have the plans for it, so I emailed them through. I also measured up to check on the elevation. Because of the slope of the land, the deck will be higher off the ground than the draftsman has drawn. Not sure whether that will require extra bracing or not, so I thought I'd let him know just in case.

The plumber is coming tomorrow to adjust the tempering valve on the HWS and get the final inspection from council.

Attachments

• East side.jpg
    East side.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Plumbing Inspection Passed

We had the final plumbing inspection today. There were no dramas, although the inspector pointed out that the pipe from the solar HWS that goes through the roof needs to have a deck tight fitted to it. Will chase that up with the solar people when they come back to install the photovoltaics.

PV system installed

We had the photovoltaic system installed on the roof today. Despite it raining most of the day, they still went ahead with the installation. No dramas with it and in the hour or so left of overcast sunlight once they installed, we generate enough power to save about 30 cents. Woohoo!! :D They'll put the form in to Ergon to have a new meter installed so we can be paid for what we export to the grid.

In other news, our roof leaks quite badly. In heavy rain, water is now dripping down all the way across above the front door. Before the move, there was a slight drip on the verandah. It's now more than a slight drip and it's coming inside the house. I got up in the ceiling today to check it out (and check for any other leaks), and it is dripping from the valley flashing about 80 cm up from a rust hole I patched previously and basic all the wood in that corner of the ceiling is soaked. We'll need to replace the flashing I'd say. There is also a leak from the fireplace chimney, but coming in from the solar HWS installed next it. The guys put some more silicon on it while they were up there today, so hopefully that fixes it. There's also a small leak in the toilet, dripping from the light bulb. I still need to investigate that and see if anything needs to be done or we can just wait until the deck goes on and we get a new roof over it anyway.

Now all we need is for the sparky to finish putting in the fans and fire alarms, and do a bit of touch up painting and we should be able to apply for our bond back.

Went away for the weekend. Came back yesterday and we had a new electricity meter, so obviously Ergon has been and we are now getting paid for the excess power we generate.

The valley gutter we ordered had also been delivered, so today I helped the handyman up on the roof replacing that. Boy was it a hot day to be on a roof! So we should now have a leak-free roof!

Got an email from the bank requesting payslips. It seems the mortgage insurers are asking lots of questions which is holding things up.

I got an update from the civil engineer yesterday. They are about halfway through the design work on our project. They have most of the road shoulder sealing design done and unfortunately there will not be 300 mm from the top of the water main to the road subsurface to avoid council's condition of having to replace it with ductile piping. Our engineer is trying to get in touch with the relevant person in council to see if they will accept us taking the main lower and using cheaper PVC piping. We'll see.

I put in the application for reticulation to Telstra for telecommunication lines to be installed. We aren't big enough to need to go through NBN Co, although there is fibre along one of the streets, so it shouldn't be too much work once they do get around to our area. There is existing copper lines to the fronts of all of the lots, although I think they may need to pull some extra lines through, as the DBYD plans show 2 lines to each property, with only about 14 spare (enough for about 1 and a half line to each new lot).

keep up the updates brendio - have been following your developments with interest :)

the youtube video of the relocation was fascinating also.

More than meets the eyes.

Our engineer has been in consultation with the engineer at council trying to resolve the water mains issue. The council engineer has been quite helpful with alternative suggestions. One suggestion is a product called Tensar, which goes under the road to support it and means that you don't need to make the road subsurface as thick. Our engineer is still waiting for the supplier to give her the figures on it to see if it will work out.

Another suggestion of the council engineer was to cover the mains with concrete to protect it, but that is starting to sound expensive.

Telstra called to enquire about our electrical plan. When I mentioned we are going with overhead power to the new lots it simplified things for him and said he'd be able to start on the quote for reticulation straight away. Since changes announced in December with the NBN rollout, Telstra now have to quote for provisioning of the pipes and pits to make it easier for when NBN Co come along and run fibre in them. He was very apologetic for the inconvenience caused, as it seems it has created nightmares for more than a few developers, but it hasn't really affected us. He gave me a ball park figure for what their quote will be, which was under what I had budgeted, but with all the extra work they have now the official quote won't be ready for 2 or 3 weeks.

The bank got back to me and progress is being made, although it's not going fast.

Now for the doosy. I got a call this morning from the electricity company. There is not enough capacity in the area to service another 9 houses, so a new transformer will be required. We suspected this could be the case, and made allowance in our budget for it. The problem is, there is no high voltage line along our street to run the transformer off. So what they are proposing is to install a pad mount 63 kVA transformer to service our subdivision and boast supply in the area. It is larger than we need just for our development, so they wouldn't charge us the full $200k+ cost to install it, only $30k. However, they would need to place the transformer on our land and we would need to grant them a 3 by 3 m easement over it. We discussed options of where to place it, and I have also since spoken with our engineer, who is running through a few options. One block is already encumbered with quite a large easement for drainage, which will no doubt affect its appeal to potential buyers. I am wondering if it is best to keep all the easements to one place and put the transformer there too. I have been toying with the idea of building a spec home on one of the blocks, and I am thinking that block would be the ideal candidate because I feel the easements may affect the sale value of bare land more so than of a finished house. An easement with a big transformer on it though will have a bigger impact than a drainage easement you can't see.

I did a google search to see how big the transformer will be and found this one for sale on eBay. I wonder how much the shipping would be. I reckon it would still work out cheaper than $30k. :D

Loan approval

Got an email this morning to say the bank finally has all the info in place to approve the loan. They will require personal guarantees from all seven individuals involved (joint and severally liable:eek:) and we have to pay to have the valuation redone for the bank, but apart from that, the terms are reasonable.

I'm still waiting to hear back from the electricity company whether the transformer can be colocated on a drainage easment. Otherwise, we will be up for a variation to get the engineer to redesign the sewer to allow the stormwater drain to be rerouted.

The engineer is still waiting for manufacturer's specifications on the Tensar film to see whether that will allow us to avoid having to replace the water main, which is the major outstanding unknown with respect to project costs. Once she has that, we should be ready to submit our operational works application to council.

I'm not sure Energex actually purchases from e-bay, although at times I think they might ;). Great write-up, keep it up. I'm sure there is a hundred readers out there for every reply received so far. Your a braver man than me.
Cheers,
A.

Last edited:
Slowly progressing

I chased up the electricity company contact as he was going to get back to me about whether the pad mount transformer could be located over a drainage easement. That was no go, but he also said they were having internal disagreements about what they had proposed to do, because they would need budget approval to do the extra bits they want to do while they are reticulating our blocks. Anyway, the contact and a local planner came out to the site this afternoon. Previous planning was done from Maryborough using their plans and Google Street view.:rolleyes: The power infrastructure isn't all where it is marked on the company's plans. So we agreed on a site for the transformer and they will now see if they are able to do it. The local planner added a couple of extra changes to the network, but it won't affect our cost. We will only be charged for the cost of a smaller 63 kVa transformer, even though they will install a larger 315 kVa unit to help service surrounding properties (I was confused on this point in my previous post). They quoted just over $24k for the transformer. They had said previous $30k, but that might include the extra for poles and one pillar for a block that will be serviced underground. If it is all approved by the electricity company and we accept their offer, we would be able to proceed straight away, even though the new transformer and poles won't be in place until at least November. They figure that not all lots would be built on by then so the current capacity could handle it for now. There would be just two blocks that couldn't be serviced straight away, although we could get around it temporarily by installing property poles.

There is also one power pole that is right in the middle of the footpath, which we need to concrete. This may hold things up if we want to move it across to the side, as this wouldn't be done immediately, and the footpath is a condition of subdivision.

They also said we had the option of either granting an easement for the transformer, or dedicating it as part of the road reserve. I was already thinking that having it as road reserve, rather than a piece of useless private property, would be a better option long term. I checked with our town planner, who said there shouldn't be a problem with varying the approved plans to chop a corner off one of the blocks to dedicate as road reserve for the transformer. It will all be done when the final survey is completed.

Engineering plans are complete and are being checked by the supervisor. The engineer just has to finish doing the bill of works. The council engineer has given the okay to use tensar film under the road to reduce the thickness of pavement we need and so avoid needing to replace the water main. That's good news, depending on how much the film costs. In any case, it should be cheaper than a water main.

The banks says our loan is just about ready to be signed off on by their mortgage insurer and has been complicated by the guarantees required. So hopefully it all comes together soon.

Mum has been busy renovating her IP and has new tenants lined up to move in in a couple of weeks time. I filled in and printed the IDAS forms for her for the next stage of renovations here (new deck and en suite etc.), so she will drop them into the certifier tomorrow.

Final Inspection

With the weather cooling, our sparky returned to venture back into the ceiling to finish installing the fans and fire alarms. I bogged and touched up the paintwork around the bottom of the house where the relocators took boards off to install tie-downs. Before painting, I pressure cleaned the house and it came up real nice. And so we were ready for the final inspection.

As expected our temporary rear stairs do not comply with the code without a hand rail, but as we will soon be replacing them when we install the deck, the certifier was prepared to overlook it, so long as I sent him an email explaining this so he had a paper trail. The plans for stage 2—deck and en suite—are with the certifier and the builder came around today to see what bits not requiring certification he can get started on already from Monday.

I took the bond refund form into council and submitted the plumbing application for stage 2.

Still waiting for: bank loan documentation, engineering plans (finished but being checked), offer of supply from electricity company.

gee the banks are taking their sweet merry time - considering the money they'll make from your deal!

The power co took about a month to get their offer to me (and I'm a two lot subdivide) - so will be interested to hear how that goes!

SOUNDS FANTASTIC tho, I have to say, you are a project manager premiere!!!
:)

We have loan approval!!

I got an email today to say that the mortgage insurer has signed off on our loan. Finally! Written confirmation will take another couple of days. That was long and dragged out and I was wondering lately whether I should have been pursuing other banks simultaneously in case it fell through. All good now though. It's also being done as a normal residential loan rather than a business loan, so the rates are fairly good too.

Emailed the news to our solicitor and get a reply from his assistant that he is away until next week.:rolleyes:

Our builder has started on bits of stage 2 of renovations to the house that can be done before we get the building permit. He's taken out a window where the en suite will go and boarded it up.

I noticed today that council had put the wrong address on the plumbing application receipt, so I went in to fix that up.

Also reread the conditions of approval and realised we need to register the easement documentation for where the sewer will cross our neighbour's property before they will approve the our operational works application, so have started on that. The conditions also statement we need an easement at the rear of one of our blocks (but not the side!) before approval, but our town planner got confirmation that this was just a copy-paste error.

Still waiting on engineering plans and electricity offer.

I just read all 8 pages so far and you have my admiration mate, by now I would have gone mad 7 times and shot someone and been in gaol for life :)

Great work, I cant wait to see theconclusion

Council rang this morning and have processed our bond refund and forwarded it to the finance department. The cheque will be in the mail on Wednesday.

While driving out yesterday, I noticed survey pegs along the fence for our neighbour's easement, so hopefully all the paperwork for that will be waiting for our solicitor when he gets back to work tomorrow. The fence is about 150 mm on our side of the survey pegs marking the property boundary. The fence on the other side of this neighbour is about 50 mm into the property of the neighbour on the other side, so they encroach on both sides. The rest of our fences at the rear I reckon would be about 100 mm on our side of the boundary. I've been reading up on adverse possession and I think it's a good thing than the conditions to be granted it are onerous enough. We will be replacing the fence all the way along, so might use this opportunity to realign the fence to the boundary.

Still waiting on engineering plans, bank loan documentation and electricity offer.

Back