Question for Expats: How do you manage your IP affairs when not in Australia?

We have several IPs and are leaving Australia soon, to take up job opportunity overseas. All IPs are managed by PM.

I noticed there are several Somersoft-ers who are expat-ing around the world. Just wonder:

1. How do you manage your IP documentations when away? Do you use local clerical/book keeping service to receive property managers' reports? Or do you have you mails sent to your overseas address / online?

2. What are the challenges you face in term of managing your IPs' day to day documentations & affairs?

Thanks, kristaje.

Do you visit your IPs? If not then nothing changes as to how you normally manage it now if you move overseas. If you still receive reports by snail mail then get them mailed to your new address though most PM these days will email them and any documentations to you.

I haven't seen my IP's or PM for years whether I was living overseas or back home - any challenges with your IPs can be sorted with a phone call/skype or email.

Hi DoobyNuts,

Thanks for sharing your experience.

No, I never really visited the properties after tenanted. So far, communications with PM are mostly via mobile and emails, but will direct them to 99% email (unless for urgent item) to save on roaming charges. I guess I can also asked them to send me statements online.

What makes me pause a bit and plan on using OzPost mail redirection (at least for a year), is the fact that I receive massive amount of documents at the moment, as we have upwards of 25 rentals. And I'm doing a lot of the reno shopping myself, as things are cheaper in Sydney (eg. blinds), and send to PM for installations. I guess this will need to change too and I'll have to rely more on PM.

Would be interested on what others' experiences too, esp. around challenges you face.

Cheers, kristaje.

Back