Question on apartments

Hi, just looking for some people's opinions here on what is most important when looking for 1 bedroom apartments in suburbs close to the city.
Obviously each person has different opinions on what matters most in an apartment, I have a list of a few things and am wondering if people feel in this order, these things are the most important for an owner occupier (location aside)
1. Size/layout
2. Top floor over first and ground floor
3. Body corp fees
4. Aspect/view from windows
5. No. of apartments in block
6. Balcony/ no balcony

I would be interested to see if people share the same view as me or different
Thanks

Body corp fees are important - but so is an active body corp - no use having low fees and no activity.

Noise - from traffic and neighbours.

Parking on title.

Cheers,

The Y-man

Yep, +1 on the dedicated car bay. Also need to check prev AGM minutess to determine if there are any long term capital works programs drawn up - and if so, what's the proposed schedule to raise levies for these.

Alternatively, are there any ongoing maintenance problems which aren't being addressed?

Think about the orientation when looking at apartments. In a house e.g. You can plant a tree to shade against western sun. Can't do that in a high rise.

Other stuff - storage. You still need to store the vacuum cleaner, the Christmas tree, suitcases etc. are the wardrobes wide enough for a large wooden coat hanger? Can a larger person get in the shower? Can you open the laundry cupboard and still clear the washer? Yes there is a car park but can you open your door without scratching the car adjacent?

Good design makes all the difference in small spaces - don't be distracted by shiny finishes and get the most square metres you can.

Think about the orientation when looking at apartments. In a house e.g. You can plant a tree to shade against western sun. Can't do that in a high rise.

Other stuff - storage. You still need to store the vacuum cleaner, the Christmas tree, suitcases etc. are the wardrobes wide enough for a large wooden coat hanger? Can a larger person get in the shower? Can you open the laundry cupboard and still clear the washer? Yes there is a car park but can you open your door without scratching the car adjacent?

Good design makes all the difference in small spaces - don't be distracted by shiny finishes and get the most square metres you can.

Agree with all of this. In regards to the orientation and overall aspect from an apartment will top floor apartments appreciate more in value compared to say a first floor apartment due to the likelihood of looking straight at another complex rather than often tree or sky lined views?

Agree with all of this. In regards to the orientation and overall aspect from an apartment will top floor apartments appreciate more in value compared to say a first floor apartment due to the likelihood of looking straight at another complex rather than often tree or sky lined views?

Depends on development - if the area is still being developed, a 16th floor apartment can be outbuilt by a 25 storey one next door.

At least on the ground floor you know what you are getting. If you have a courtyard, might be able to keep pets too.

The Y-man

The other factor with top floor if you're looking at blocks without lifts, is mobility for elderly people climbing up and down stairs. This could reduce your rental pool.

By the way - when I say "noise from neighbours" - it is also about sound transmission.

Some office block conversions have poor sound insulation. I remember friends living on one such complaining how they could clearly hear the conversations in the adjoining apartment, as well as their loo flushing at night....

The Y-man

-strata fees
-how many apartments in block (the less the better)
-previous sales history of apartments sold
-take a close look at the minutes (a buyer in our building didnt know about our once off 4k repair fee)
-courtyard/balcony size

Check out signs of oversupply in the area eg. Docklands. Read as many critical articles and statistics as possible to form your concept of population growth and demand.

I think with this it depends on who your target market is -- older people, or young families may not want a top level apartment. Getting up and down lots of stairs may be a turn off. A higher level apartment might offer more security though...

Back