Question

Hi All,

I know this isnt the exact place to be posting or asking this kind of question but im really curious to know on what other peoples thoughts or opinions are on network marketing. Is it an alternative way of building wealth or a great way to produce cashflow?

Appreciate feedback.

Cheers

AJK

:)

Agreed Bundy... how to lose friends and effluence people!

A socially tolerated pyramid scheme.

From a pi*/*d off friend/acquantance/workmate!!!

Kel

Many years ago a "friend" invited me around to their house for one of these sessions. The marketeer went around the room and asked everyone the question "What would you do if you were given a $100,000?". I knew the marketeer's comeback, after everyone had given their responses, was going to be "Well, you can have $100,000 by ....".

Most people said they would pay off their house, buy a new car, go on a holiday, etc, etc.

I said "Give it all to charity!!!" Really pi$$ed off the marketeer and my "friend". :D :D

had similar with a telemarketer, asked if I would like to make $1M, I said I didn't want a million, he was very upset and asked again, I said no and he hung up irate.
Best fun I've had with them. :)
If he knew how, why is he phoning me at 7pm telemarketing?

I think I will make it my own way.

Chris

At one such 'business meeting' I went to the question was 'Where would you live and what car would you drive?"

The answers floored me...

some of the couples said, if they could get whatever they wanted, they would live in Ballajura (the NICE part of cource) and drive a new Commodore.

(for the non-Perth people, Ballajura is your average, plain as mud, mortgage-trap suburb, 80's-90's houses, very boring).

It amazed me that people could have such low dreams and ambitions !!! Why would you buy a commodore over some other car if price was no object?

Oh well, each to his own....

TheBacon:

I guess not everyone is necessarily materialistic. Some people might gain much more enjoyment from helping their children, or travelling, or donating to charities, etc.

I remember seeing "the plan" (as it was called) numerous years ago for a group called Network 21 (they distribute Amway products).

On the face if it, I would have to say that the system they had seemed to work well.

The initial goal was to reach the 21% (?) level at which passive income would be in the order of $36,000 pa (probally closer to $45-$50 k now owing to inflation).

What struck me was that it obviously took a particular type of individual to suceed in such a "business".

While it wasn't for me, I say good luck to those who are prepared to begin that particular adventure.

Actually, the strongest and most enduring message that came out of my brief exposure to "the plan" was the power of self-belief.

Negative thinking never helped anyone achieve anything.

MB

Self Improvement

Well given that most of the participants in this forum seem to be free thinkers and open to alternatives to self improvement I am surprised to see so many knockers admonishing network marketing………

I agree it is not for all, but sometimes some people need to arrive at those conclusions themselves. Some people also do very well from the structure. For my own case we (my wife and I) were involved in similar Network Marketing in the early 90’s, however, whilst we were involved for about 2 years we can’t admit to having made a real success of it ……

Having said that , the experience was priceless in terms of realising alternative options, goals, positive thinking etc…..

These days, I meet similar thinking people doing the same sort of thing ( eg. A2k) and whilst this is now not my cup of tea now (property is our thing) , I am totally supportive of those who actually try alternatives in a effort to better themselves.

True, not everyone will make it, but even those who don’t will be better for the experience and even for the understanding of exactly how others react ……

My suggestion to all those who encounter their friends or family trying these network marketing schemes or plans is to at least be supportive of their efforts for self improvement and if you feel strongly enough about it, highlight the alternative IP route. But please, whatever you do, don’t try to steal someone else’s dream (even if in your own mind it is supposedly misplaced).

The best learning experience is EXPERIENCE.

Regards

Joe D

Hi

I agree with Joe D on this one. Although I wouldnt do it myself, I've heard 'the plan' and know that it could work for those willing to give it a go. It'd be great for positive reinforcement and the contacts, and also the subsequent financial rewards if one takes it that far.

That being said Im not too interested in it myself.

-Regards

Dave

Dont be silly, network marketing is the pits, regardless how it is positively promoted. Theres lots better ways to make money.......and lots of it.

Kevmeister: I agree, there is much more to this life than money.

My point (which I did not make very well) is that many people, when given the chance to dream big, instead dream very small, and are prepared to work very hard for a long time to get there.

My personal experience with network marketing is that it can work (my wife worked with a lady who made a living wage out of AMWAY). However it takes work, and often out of business hours. Good luck to those who want to go that way, but I agree with Brains; it would appear that there are easier ways to make money.

May all you touch prosper.

TheBacon

Hi all,

My wife and I were in the Amway business for many years. While we did not make a lot of money during that time, it did help us keep our marriage together. It saved our sanity.

We are in a second marriage situation with step children. Going to the meetings/conventions etc gave us an opportunity to have some 'quiet time' together - without the children. We fervently believe that this saved our marriage, what with all the dramas that we faced over the years.

We finally reached at stage when we realized that neither of us wanted to be involved in the business anymore. However, we both treasure the fact that it helped keep us together.

We knew that we needed some vehicle to get us the financial protection that we need in retirement. We were prepared to look but it proved not to the the right vehicle for us. Now, we are happy, busily building our property investments and development projects together.

Cheers,
Bmok :)

Tried Amway (Network 21) in about '92.

At the time I went fairly hard & got a few distributors up & running. However the philosophy & we didn't match and it was too much hard work for the dollars.

I see it as very much an all or nothing proposition. Either you make quite a bit of money, or it costs you money...It would be very hard to find a point where it balances.

If you really work hard I think you can reach a take-off point where it's self-sustaining (with a few nudges now and then), but frankly there are easier ways :)

Made a few good friends though & went and built a training biz with them about 3 years later - so the experience did pay off.

And the tapes were nice motivators...it may be worth just getting the tapes :)

Cheers,

Aceyducey

(shh I'm not really here)

Hi
The thing I don't like about network marketing, is what I do like about property, :eek: , that is, leverage. In this case I can still remember being invited with other company, for 'drinks' at "The Bosses place", only to be put on the spot to 'share' in his new selling scheme. Is that leverage or is that blackmail :rolleyes:

jahn

geoffw,

Yeah supposed to be renovating...got called back to Syd to finish work on a book :(

Back to weekends on the property for a few weeks, but so busy on book that I'll only pop into the forum when I have PMs - I shouldn't be here at all, but I need the R&R sometimes :)

Have to get two renos (one mini) and book finished before mid-Oct, so a really busy time for Jas & me unfortunately.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Back