Questions about Home Construction

Hi guys!

just want to ask a few questions regarding the house that we are building at the moment. i really have no idea where or who to ask these questions to.

1:) how is the cost of drop edge beams calculated? my builder is charging me $2,000 + $200 GST for a drop edge beam which is a requirement by Council. The land at the back is 10m wide. Our neighbor which has a similar condition as ours was charged $900 only.

2.) Original floor plan was for a 4 bedder house but i converted the 4th bedroom to an open lounge room instead. I now know the difference this will do in terms of valuation as they will compare my house to a 3 bedroom house around the area. its too late to changed the plan back again as this is now under construction. can i still convert this back to a 4 bedroom house after completion by just putting up a wall? or will this as complicated as to go back to Council and tell them that I am converting the lounge to a 4th bedroom and wait for approval?

Sorry guys if the questions are pretty basic but hope someone will still take time to answer them. thanks in advance!

#1 was the beam poured with a slab or added in later separately? this will change the rates significantly. current sydney rates for FRP concrete allow

reo $750 / tonne
formwork walls $100 / m2
formwork edgeboards $45 / m2
concrete placement $500 per man / day
pump $1500 per visit

exlcudes design fees and builders margin, gst etc

if the beam is needed as a council condition and you have engaged the builder under a design and construct contract i would not accept as a variation to the contract shouldve been allowed for regardless if its on drawing or not.

#2 if your putting up a partition wall inside your house you dont need council permission

#1 was the beam poured with a slab or added in later separately? this will change the rates significantly. current sydney rates for FRP concrete allow

reo $750 / tonne
formwork walls $100 / m2
formwork edgeboards $45 / m2
concrete placement $500 per man / day
pump $1500 per visit

exlcudes design fees and builders margin, gst etc

if the beam is needed as a council condition and you have engaged the builder under a design and construct contract i would not accept as a variation to the contract shouldve been allowed for regardless if its on drawing or not.

#2 if your putting up a partition wall inside your house you dont need council permission

Hi sportsfan,

Thanks for your reply. On question 1. The DEB will be added in separately, the slab has been poured a couple of days ago. The DEB was a surprise expense for me as apparently, the builder was not aware as well of this condition. Council required us to change the plan because a 5x5m of "levelled open space" in our backyard is a must. Builder suggested to make al fresco bigger and place the 5x5m there which will make our lounge room smaller. We didn't agree with this and he said the only option is to make the backyard levelled and need a drop edge beam because of the slope.

Do u mind explaining a bit more regarding not agreeing to the variation of contract?

Thanks heaps.

Sorry to disagree - a wall is defined as structural and requires council approval (possible to get it under delegated authority/complying devt).

Probably best to submit a S96 application to council for minimal cost.

dont take anything i say as legal or any other advice. it is my opinion only

a variation to your contract is only triggered when the contract changes

i would presume your dealing with a volume spec home builder who designs and builds hundreds of these every week and are very familiar with the relevant council requirements?

the da and cc conditions form part of the contract. you have engaged them on the basis they are professionals and competent in the field of D&C residential homes and would provide a functional compliant construction upon completion.

Errors and omissions in the design do not constitute a variation to your contract.

if the flat area has been a council condition from the outset then contractually nothing has changed and the builder should have allowed for it.

this is my opionion only. you will need to read the the contract, approvals and drawings thouroughly but i would be writing them a polite letter saying thanks but no thanks unfortunatly i wont be paying for this out my own back pocket

Back