quick bathroom reno question

pXDpY34UyX_3vcbq6bM82YSPlc-bY8R7XHV2qU5PNTw%2COoYDcLcpiRW7LtqRTPt5NDQaF6EScwpjUpniY0zXcWU

Can I get a few suggestions

Whats the best way to get this to rentable standard?

How would you patch it up and waterproof it?

Or does all the tiles need to come off and base removed and start again?

Thanjs everyone

Attachments

• 20150418_162636.jpg
    20150418_162636.jpg
    999.4 KB · Views: 200
Id be trying carefully to take the lower tiles off and paint on a water membrane
before tilling again , also make sure its waterproof so water does not get down
the sides of that shower base.

Do you have all the tiles to replace, some seem missing.

Tough call.. Hard to say without looking into it a little closer. Any idea what the substrate is underneath? If its timber, chances are its rotting away in which case id be ripping it up and re-doing. What's access like under the floor? Jump under there and have a look for water damage around shower base.

pXDpY34UyX_3vcbq6bM82YSPlc-bY8R7XHV2qU5PNTw%2COoYDcLcpiRW7LtqRTPt5NDQaF6EScwpjUpniY0zXcWU

Can I get a few suggestions

Whats the best way to get this to rentable standard?

How would you patch it up and waterproof it?

Or does all the tiles need to come off and base removed and start again?

Thanjs everyone

Looks like a total replace,plus depending on how long this has been like this all the framework that runs of the part of the building would have too be looked at termites love a setup like this,is this on a slab or above ground,if it's a slab you will have more problems that just this ,must be good property management company looking after this property..

I looked again just now and realised that shower base is not on the ground, but raised up by at least one tile.

If the rest of the bathroom matches this photo, I'd start it all again and get it done properly, after checking underneath to see what is hidden damage and may need fixing/replacing.

Cheapest way of making it rentable quickly is to look at sheeting over the tiles with one sheet of some type of shower wall, or buying a fully enclosed cubicle set up if you can make it fit and make it work. You won't know what damage is underneath though unless you rip out that shower base and the tiled walls... and you are just putting off the big job that needs doing.

Here's an example of what you can expect after years of a leaking shower.. I just ripped up and replaced floors in a recently purchased 80's built home. No water proofing back then! Just a bunch of AC asbestos sheeting under tiles, be cautious.. Good times! :(

Attachments

• IMG_2721.jpg
    IMG_2721.jpg
    756.3 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_2551.jpg
    IMG_2551.jpg
    475.9 KB · Views: 113
thanks guys, its about 45359384385984 days out of warranty, If I need to make a claim, id be harassing the grand children ;)

anyway, surprisingly, the owner of this property is even more price sensitive then I am!! which isnt an easy feat

anyway, these are what I think are my options,

- a full rip out and start again,

- rip out the base, put in an enclosure

- rip out the base and the step up, and fully retile

unfortunately, there are no original tiles around, so ive recommended that the first thing to do is to rip out all the tiles and have a look,

regardless, they will need to water proof so I guess patching up the existing holes, is not possible as waterproofing wouldnt be possible realitiscallyl

my guess is concrete slab with timber frame, but because its raised and still not falling down the frame should be ok, i was thinking of lowering the step, but depending whether the plumbing can be easily moved and if the base is propped up and not straight frame

my guess is concrete slab with timber frame, but because its raised and still not falling down the frame should be ok, i was thinking of lowering the step, but depending whether the plumbing can be easily moved and if the base is propped up and not straight frame

I don't think the plumbing will be a problem to me it look like its set above the slab,just a simple re-set,the only upside on a property built like this is the frame may well be hardwood,materials alone for something like this would be high,plus tiles plumbing,and to seal everything in watertight ..

I had a similar problem in our unit over in Kalgoorlie - ripped the whole thing out and started from scratch...right back to the wall frames and floor.

It's actually not that difficult once you start; but it appears very daunting.

If your keeping this property you are better off ripping it all out and do a couple of goods coats of waterproof so it won't happen again. If you just patch it up then you will be doing it again in a years time because there is no water proofing.

That's my 2c

Personally I would rip it out... Who knows what damages lies beneath... I'm in the same situation and I ripped out the entire shower and redoing it now... For me I was worried about moisture and attracting termites... It's not cheap... total cost including new shower screen is $3800... They couldn't salvage the old screen

Attachments

• IMG_1435.jpg
    IMG_1435.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_1436.jpg
    IMG_1436.jpg
    244 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_1437_0.jpg
    IMG_1437_0.jpg
    215.9 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_2299.jpg
    IMG_2299.jpg