Rainwater tanks under the floor: great idea

Hi All :)

I saw an ad for this product in the paper today and thought “what a good Idea”.

Essentially the idea is giant bladders under the home between your piers, that are storage containers for rainwater, which is then pumped back into the home for use, toilet, washing, garden, etc. Don’t recommend drinking personally and the actual use is minimal compared to flushing.

As I see it this system offers number of advantages:

Can be retrofitted as the bladder that can be rolled up, fitted thorugh an access hole to older homes, no footings, etc

Centralizes the collection point as usually it is hard to get all the downpipes/gutters to reach around the home to the tank location when above ground.

Hidden like in ground tanks but removes the risk of in ground tanks that can rise out of ground when the water table is high. I.e they float. Also easier to install and remove.

Can be taken with you and added to as your need or cash allows.

Space saving as it is all under the home.

No lost of views which is an issues in the city with neighbors and councils.

No metalic reaction/rust risk.

Disadvantages:

May be more expensive than existing plastic/metal tanks but unable to say as the sites I found for these tanks had no prices. Frustrating! But this system is installed on the ground so no footings, no stand, no digging and easy access. The prices are on line so if someone could compare that would be great!

10 year warranty of bladder so I guess it could fail but steel in only 5 years unless you go high level plateing which is 20 years so ?

Here is the blurb from the website and address.

Regards, Peter 147

PS I have no affiliation to this company just thought what a good idea.

http://www.rainreviva.com.au/default.asp

Rain Reviva is an innovative underhouse water storage system, enabling you to collect rapidly and store enough rainwater to water your garden, flush your toilets and even operate your washing machine.

It comes fully installation ready and gives you mains level pressure all the way to the end of your garden.

A Rain Reviva incorporates a large bladder style rainwater tank, high quality pump, pressure control unit, and all necessary plumbing connections for immediate installation.

The Rain Reviva system provides the most effective means of stormwater collection as it captures rainfall from most of the roofed area of a house, rather than just one or two collection points like a traditional rain tank.

This means for the same amount of rainfall the average house can collect up to 5 times the amount of water versus a traditional tank.

Rain Reviva gives you the freedom to store large amounts of water out of sight under your house or deck,
regardless of property size, leaving you free to enjoy your whole garden.

For ease of installation it can also be rolled or folded to fit through a small access point.

Water Worms

Gale Pacific also make one called the Water Worm. I'm told cheaper, stronger and more compact (CSIRO tested). Available from Waterwise Systems (0437 073 869 Fiona) in Melbourne, who also make a neat grey water recycle system. BTW, I do have a kinda affiliation with the Water Worm, my husband is the R&D person responsible for them...(although neither of us gain from it, he's not on commission!).

Cheers,
LibraCharlie

My wife's family in Mexico City has a water storage tank- but that operates from twon water. It's mostly a precaution against an increasingly unreliable town water.

Re Saving Water (not a tank but almost on topic)
Saw a Japanese idea of a toilet cistern comprising a hand basin for a cistern lid. No taps, no plug. The water to refill the cistern flows out of the handbasin spout to replace every flush, enabling you to wash your hands in the clean water which then drains out of the handbasin into the cistern.
voila. But, you'd have to be quick to clean your teeth. ;)
cheers
crest133.

libracharlie said:
Gale Pacific also make one called the Water Worm. I'm told cheaper, stronger and more compact (CSIRO tested). Available from Waterwise Systems (0437 073 869 Fiona) in Melbourne, who also make a neat grey water recycle system. BTW, I do have a kinda affiliation with the Water Worm, my husband is the R&D person responsible for them...(although neither of us gain from it, he's not on commission!).

Cheers,
LibraCharlie

Hi LibraCharlie

Do you have website and some details you can post.

I am doing a development and would be interested in being Clean and Green.

Peter 147

Peter 147 said:
I am doing a development and would be interested in being Clean and Green.

Peter 147,

Seems Clean & Green is the way to go going by a lot of entrants in the ABC new inventors TV program.

This link has this years 29 weeks of entrants on it but you can also go back into previous years.

http://www.abc.net.au/newinventors/inventions/

Did see "the bladder" on TV in the last couple of years and thought it was on the 'new inventors" but so far cant find it.

Some of the other water connected Clean & Green ideas were also quite interesting such as this shower rose attachment. http://www.abc.net.au/newinventors/txt/s1305219.htm

A86

Back