RAMS sheared

Ouch.....Rams not only sheared...but knackered

31 cents today....

Was talking with a RAMs insider yesterday who didn't paint a pretty future for RHG. .....soon to become a closed book, with harsh refinancing options and many borrowers taking a refinance option elsewhere, profits are bound to be heading in one direction.

But then he was full of beans on how RAMs Mark II will offer savings accounts and many retail banking features other non bank lenders cannot.

Makes me wonder how much of a hit non bank lending has taken in the last month or so. It would be easy to imagine many people want to avoid the unpredictable rate rises of a non bank lender.
Industry ballpark figures:
20% drop in lending activity since the subprime drop at the beginning of Sept qtr. 30% of the market is in fixed rates at the moment, and most securitised lenders are not competitive in the fixed rate market bacuse they are generally unprofitable.

Certainly one to keep an eye on. Some good indicators here.

Bump:
The chart on this is looking brighter. Might buy a few as a spec. :D

Attachments

• rhg 071207.jpg
    rhg 071207.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 85
Certainly one to keep an eye on. Some good indicators here.
IMHO
When you look at the closing price over the past 5 days on the share-price they only seem to jump when the high volumes kick in, but i agree this in one to keep an eye on..willair..

I thought that the potential upside to RHG was very limited now that the WBC proposal has been accepted. Aren't all new loan on WBC's books so the only real value to RHG is their current loans?

If any of you are interested, you can 'read all about it' on the rams website through the 'Shareholder Centre' portal.

As with anything, don't believe all that you hear. In fact, believe very little of what you hear. This is a very complex deal and the primary focus has been the benefit and wellbeing of the major stakeholders - and that primarily means the 78,000 Australians who have RAMS Home Loans.

The share issue was mainly taken up by institutional investors, and a small number of shares was made available to staff and franchisees if they were interested. Since the float, any shares bought or sold have been on the open market. As usual, caveat emptor applies.

2008 will be a very exciting year for RAMS and for RHG. The ongoing brand loyalty, which has always been unusually strong for such a small lender, continues unabated. Everybody loves Raymond and even with the uncertainty of recent months people with RAMS loans have remained loyal to the company and we continue to write and settle new business as usual.

Customers in the RHG book will have lost none of their benefits and flexibility and will continue to be serviced in the usual manner. The restriction on origination of new business is for a very reasonable three years. The whole deal is fair in the extreme, as you would expect from Australian’s first bank when dealing with another Australian company, which employs Australians and which lends to Australians. We are all neighbours.

I have read with great interest the wild conjecture of some of the posts regarding the future of this Australian company. Australians have a contempt of Tall Poppies but a love of the underdog. After the first few weeks when the popular press played 'kick the sheep' and somehow managed to mix most stories up into something akin to a Rogan Josh where it was impossible to distinguish the individual ingredients, people's reactions and assessment of the situation has returned to normal. Concerned, yes, eager to hear what is planned, yes, but alarmed and angry, no.

As a borrower, a shareholder and a franchisee I am very proud to be part of this moment in history. I have nothing but admiration for the many people who have built RAMS from, literally, nothing in 1996 to the thriving business it became in 2007. Many long standing customers have told me, with some emotion, that they would not have been able to buy their house ‘if it wasn’t for RAMS’.

So let us not be ‘knockers’, and if we don’t have a well informed opinion let us reserve our judgement. By this time next year the new arrangements will have become commonplace, the sky will not have fallen, people will have taken out new loans, bought houses, sold houses, laughed and cried, and we will all be a year older.

And never mind the ‘candle in the window’ – if you are driving through Mordialloc look out for the twenty pairs of slippers in the window. I tell you, Raymond has a lot to answer for!!!

Cheers

Kristine

I thought that the potential upside to RHG was very limited now that the WBC proposal has been accepted. Aren't all new loan on WBC's books so the only real value to RHG is their current loans?

Yup. IMHO, stay away from it. WBC is offering special deals to refinance out of the RHG book too. WIth no capacity to grow its income and every capacity to shrink it, RHG will fade away to zilch.

P.S. I am not a financial advisor.

No, Winston, and you do not know anything at all about the situation even though you think you do.

Your previously mentioned 'insider' knows precious little, either.

However, this is a democracy and everyone is entitled to their own opinion, even if that opinion is based on scuttlebut, gossip and hearsay

Lots love and Happy Christmas

Kristine

No, Winston, and you do not know anything at all about the situation even though you think you do.

Your previously mentioned 'insider' knows precious little, either.

Kristine

Did you want to declare any vested interests Kristine?
If so, speak up on why you think I am misinformed.
Otherwise, you are just mouthing off with no substance behind your insults.

I think she did this very clearly in the earlier post today.

That post must have been sent when I was writing mine, and I have only just read it.

I don't see anything concrete in her post indicating RHG has blue sky. I read it as emotive, and confounding the new operation with RHG.

I took up Kristine's suggestion and went over to the RAMS website....and found the following bits in the latest documents. Make your own mind up about it....and if you feel RHG is worth buying into then go for it.....but the bits below validate what I and others have said....the people Kristine accuses of lying and not knowing what they are talking about. Obviously, it is a highly emotive issue for her.

http://www.rams.com.au/files/Shareh...AMS Shareholders Approve Westpac Proposal.pdf
"After implementation of the Westpac proposal, RHG may no longer use the “RAMS” name and will cease to originate new business. RHG will continue to be a listed public company but will exist only to service and collect the income from what will be a closed and amortising loan book."

"RAMS Chairman John Kinghorn told the AGM the proceeds of the sale of the RAMS brand and origination business will be used to pay taxes and to repay secured debt."

http://www.rams.com.au/files/pdf/Q and A for Customers - 29 Oct 2007.pdf
"3. Do I get a discount or have penalty fees waived if I switch to a
Westpac loan?

There will be no changes to any conditions on existing RAMS loans.
We do not know what arrangements Westpac may put in place, in future, for new loans."

The aspect of this I am most fascinated with is the founder of RAMS John Kinghorn. He cashed out by IPO at the PERFECT time (kept 20% though). He is either very insightful or very lucky. He builds up a 'debt flogging' business in the thick of a housing bubble, then cashes out moments before world credit markets freeze up. Amazing.

I have no sympathy for shareholders and certainly hold no emotion over the RAMS "brand" - they took risks with their funding model and it didn't work out. That's business.

Winston,

I have a Rams 85% lo doc loan with 2% break fees in the first 2 years which is an existing Rams loan (pre-Westpac deal).

A current valuation would probably show the lvr is no more than 80%.

Can you give some details of the types of offers WBC is making existing Rams customers to refinance?

Ajax

I went into my accountants office on Friday to do a bit of bizness.
while i was waiting they had some little stock magazine mixed in with the 500 other magazines (I'll get it for the reference) but they did a focus on rams. Think the print date was about a week or so ago.

They were very bullish on Rams as a stock and marked it as a buy, but rated it high on risk.

I'll get the source next week if they still have it and post it.

Seems the market liked the $1B from NAB....RHG's price moved up ~24% yesterday.

Though RHG seems a couple of steps closer towards skeletal, from the article below.

http://business.theage.com.au/nab-in-1bn-loans-deal/20080208-1r4q.html

"An RHG spokesman said the book had shrunk in recent months through "natural attrition" to about $5.5 billion over two facilities: a $3 billion facility that had already been repaid and a $2.5 billion facility that was due to be paid last night during New York trading hours."

Back