Rates on vacant land

Ok I am probably asking dumb questions here but we have never had vacant land before so......just got the council rates for vacant block which we settled on in early June.

The calcs show rate adjustments for a few different things -
"Subdivider lot" March to June 30 & Mar to April - June 30 then
"Res 1" for April to June 30. These are around $600+.
So that's the first question - whats the go with paying rates for the block before we owned it in June?

The calcs also show $500+ of charges for water service & waste water service - second question - WTF there isn't anything connected to anything there yet - what exactly are we paying $1100+ for?? The council rates on our ppor (same council) are only $330 more!

Cheers
Stella

there isn't anything connected to anything there yet - what exactly are we paying $1100+ for??

Perhaps you are asking the wrong question.

Instead of asking "what are we paying for" perhaps you should ask "why am I paying this".....to which the answer is "because you are a rich Landowner".

Perhaps you are asking the wrong question.

Instead of asking "what are we paying for" perhaps you should ask "why am I paying this".....to which the answer is "because you are a rich Landowner".

Oh yeah - I forgot about that!:)

Cheers
Stella

When you buy or sell a property a rates adjustment is done during the conveyancing period. If you are being charged rates for the time before you owned the land, you will find that the previous owner paid his proportion to you during settlement. You now pay it on to the council.

Once a service is supplied to the block the council will levy supply charges for it. They are supplying the service, and the fact you are not using it does not come into it. Once you build and use the services you will probably pay an additional usage levy.
Marg

Bugger - and here I was thinking they were only going to be a few hundred....oh well better sell ppor soon so we can start building....but thats a whole other story......

Cheers
Stella

WTF there isn't anything connected to anything there yet - what exactly are we paying $1100+ for?? The council rates on our ppor (same council) are only $330 more!

Cheers
Stella

Welcome to the great property owning democracy. Wait till you get your land tax bill!

Back