Rats in the roof

Got a call from the estate agent advising tenant has complained of Rats in the roof and would we like to send a exterminator around. I wouldn't have thought Rats would be my responsibility to deal with what next cockroaches, mice.

I would agree. Unless the animals were present prior to taking on the lease or for some reason that the property was causing the infestation then it should be the tenants responsibility.

Did you ask the PM why they thought you were responsible?

Rats are generally the responsibility of the owner.

Unless the tenant is filthy, or they have a compost bin outside etc, then you are just an unlucky investor and will have to have someone lay baits and get rid of them at your cost.

It's also advisable to do this ASAP, as Rats in walls and ceilings will chew your water pipes and electricity cables quick smart, and then you'll be up for that cost too.

Matt

We had rats in one of our IP's. The PM took care of them over a period of time. Cost us a lot of money for pest controllers, was a nightmare for the tenants and there were still rats.

Google became my friend and I found the Tom Cat rat bait station, purchased from Bunnings. It worked a treat no more rats with the bonus they did not die on the property or in the roof, as they had previously. Total cost was about $70.

Sunshine

nothing a good python wouldnt fix : )

we dont have a rodent issue

and the dogs dont seem to mind the snake either

ta
rolf

Attachments

• python.jpg
    python.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 112
Our tenants complained of rats/mice in a similar vein...turns out the next door neighbour has a chook cage - nothing to do with us, but everything to do with us. Not the tenants' fault. Had to cough up, as well as brick up any holes rats/mice could use as an entry point to the roof and environs...

that would solve the problem, but whos going to eradicate the snakes in the roof problem. : )

no probs I dont min sharing my roof space with this girl.

She leaves some nice skins behind and last year we had a clutch "?" of little ones to send out to the world

We dont get any reds or browns at our place, only these pythons and green tree snakes which are cute as a button, and the young ones are cheeky as well.

ta
rolf

Go to bunnings and get a bait or alternatively purchase electromagnetic device with low frequency sound and plug it in, rats would disappear after few weeks. It generates noise that humans cannot hear but it irritates rats, so they would go away. Costs approx 49 in bunnings

Back