RBA Chief Unworried About House Prices: No bubble= Lower Interest Rates

At a speech in London last night RBA chief Glenn Stevens said he was not worried about Aussie house prices, saying that (on average) they haven't gone anywhere in the last two years.

More interestingly, he remarked that even the so-called boom economies like WA & Qld have seen "indigestion", namely house prices falling......hardly an indication of a bubble.

Stevens also said that the household income to house price ratio was not stretched and within a 10 year range. He hinted at no further interest rate rises. My own bet is that within a year, rates will be falling.

Members of the flat-earth society who advocate that we all sell our IPs and invest in bullion might be disappointed with Stevens statements. They'd rather we bought silver and gold....commodities that are selling at historical all-time highs. Buying bullion does not give us rent, nor does it allow us to negatively gear or obtain other tax breaks.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/03/10/3160478.htm?section=business

My hunch is that the cheapest quartile of Aussie major city residential property will outperform and produce decent capital gains. I cannot say the same for the highest priced quartile of Aussie property. I'm putting my money where my mouth is and am heavily invested in the cheaper beachside suburbs in Melbourne. My IPs are, without exception, older houses on larger redevelopable blocks. Mostly houses that are worth less than $350,000. My IPs won't double in price next year - I'm more than happy with the 15%+ gains they have given me these past few years.

For those who are easily swayed by self-serving panicmongers: Australia is not the USA....people cannot walk away from loans here, as they can in the USA. Which is why the US markets are a mess and we are sitting pretty.

I'm expecting a barrage of denials from the flat earthers .......bring it on boys, you seem to have nothing else to do with your time than to try to talk the market into falling so you can get in on the cheap yourselves. Pretty opportunistic I say.

Ben Bernanke 2005
Ben S. Bernanke does not think the national housing boom is a bubble that is about to burst, he indicated to Congress last week, just a few days before President Bush nominated him to become the next chairman of the Federal Reserve.

U.S. house prices have risen by nearly 25 percent over the past two years, noted Bernanke, currently chairman of the president's Council of Economic Advisers, in testimony to Congress's Joint Economic Committee. But these increases, he said, "largely reflect strong economic fundamentals," such as strong growth in jobs, incomes and the number of new households.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/10/26/AR2005102602255.html

Yeah Hobo Jo. But you forget to mention that, unlike Australia, Americans can walk away from their home loans and not have the bank pursue them. Totally different set of rules in the USA old boy.

I have many professional American friends, all well-heeled, who deliberately walk away from their loans......simply because they can. Why pay for a house that has halved in value? Walk away from the loan and buy the house next door for half the price. This is why house prices are falling Hobo. Not that you'd care to admit it.

Flat earthers like yourself think the Australian housing market will implode. Responsible, successful people with good investment track records do not share your negative views of the world. The laws here are different Hobo. You cannot walk away from loans. Which is why the system is inherently stable.

The main difference as I see it is they had a market mechanism for land development. We have a government mandated one.

When I see the government wringing their hands about affordable housing and then see how much the ***** charge developers in Sydney and how much land they include in their 30 year plan it makes me sick.

Anyway it's good for property prices though... Not so good for the building game.

On walking from loans we can do that through bankruptcy here, not as easy as non recourse where it only has to be say 10k in the hole and you just walk. I reckon you would need to be 100k in the hole on negative equity before this is an option for most people to consider. At lesser amounts it would only be the banks forcing it on people as they do on occasions now.

It would take a big correction before we see articles explaining how bankruptcy is a good option as they talked about handing the keys in, in the USA.

I was just pointing out the similarities in their comments given their similar positions at each respective central bank, not necessarily making a direct comparison of property here vs there.

Yeah Hobo Jo. But you forget to mention that, unlike Australia, Americans can walk away from their home loans and not have the bank pursue them. Totally different set of rules in the USA old boy.

I have many professional American friends, all well-heeled, who deliberately walk away from their loans......simply because they can. Why pay for a house that has halved in value? Walk away from the loan and buy the house next door for half the price. This is why house prices are falling Hobo. Not that you'd care to admit it.

Flat earthers like yourself think the Australian housing market will implode. Responsible, successful people with good investment track records do not share your negative views of the world. The laws here are different Hobo. You cannot walk away from loans. Which is why the system is inherently stable.

ease up dude - it's okay to disagree and debate with someone's views but snide name calling is a bit low.

FTR, not all american loans are non-recourse.

I once challenged the doomsayers like Hobo to a bet on this forum but the Mods, fearing anti-gaming laws, pulled the thread.

My challenge went something like this. I offered to pay the doomsayers $10,000 if the lowest quartile median of all Melb suburban property did not rise by 10% over the oncoming year; I also predicted much larger gains circ 20% for the lowest decile of all non-inner suburban Melb property.

Nobody rose to the challenge. In any case, according to the Mods, such bets are illegal and unenforceable.......pity, I'd love to take a few dollars out of the doomsayers pockets. Not that they'd have much to spare. Its a rare thing for them to put their money where their mouths are.

before we get too over excited let's remember Stevens is a clown and he will naturally paint a picture with him at the centre doing a great job. What will come to pass, good or bad, will mostly be beyond his control anyway.

FTR, not all american loans are non-recourse.

Acknowledged.

As for name calling, I apologize for any offence. I never swear or seek to be intentionally rude. I love to see diversity of opinion.......provided it is not harmful. Shouting "fire" in a crowded cinema, as people like Hobo do in an attempt to spook the markets, is hardly freedom of speech. It's opportunistic panicmongering of the worst order.

Now that we've got that out of the way, I want to reiterate that I don't think Australian property is about to skyrocket anytime soon. Don't want folks thinking I'm some kind of raging bull on all types of overpriced junk.

I've got enough and every dollar is where my mouth is e.g. out of property and into Gold/Silver.

This is speculation, not investment. Bullion is hardly a long term investment. No tax benefits. No rent. C'mon Hobo, why not post an inflation adjusted chart of Gold for the period 1970-1979? If you'd bought at the top in '79, you'd be underwater for decades. The same with Silver. Remember the Hunt brothers spectacular attempt to corner the silver market? You weren't born then, so maybe you cannot remember it.

If you are buying gold or silver at record, all-time highs you will be crying bitter tears in a decades time. You are too young to remember very many cycles. Time will tell. Gold and silver will edge up a bit more in the next few months. But these gains are not sustainable, as was the case back in 79.

Hardly long term investments with tax benefits or rents.
Property rents are pittiful at the moment. I don't want tax benefits, I want a decent return either through CG or income. Potential for property to return a decent amount of either of these is slim over the next few years...

Check out ASX: RCO*, good dividend, gold exposure, what more could you ask for?

* I don't currently hold, but have in the past.

I once challenged the doomsayers like Hobo to a bet on this forum but the Mods, fearing anti-gaming laws, pulled the thread.

My challenge went something like this. I offered to pay the doomsayers $10,000 if the lowest quartile median of all Melb suburban property did not rise by 10% over the oncoming year; I also predicted much larger gains for the lowest decile of Melb property - I predicted a gain of around 20%.

Nobody rose to the challenge. In any case, according to the Mods, such bets are illegal and unenforceable.......pity, I'd love to take a few dollars out of the doomsayers pockets. Not that they'd have much to spare. Its a rare thing for them to put their money where their mouths are.

You write a futures contract rather than calling it a bet and you are away.

Anyway you can get good odds if you have a bearish sentiment on Australian housing buying puts on the banks, much better than 50/50 because most people, like yourself and many here have more positive sentiment and this is reflected in the banks share prices being as high as they are with no risk priced in on the horizon it would seem.

Check out ASX: RCO*, good dividend, gold exposure, what more could you ask for? * I don't currently hold, but have in the past.

Nothing wrong in investing in shares. Provided the company directors and staff are doing the same. But you won't see a lot of that. Most share investors don't bother to check to see if directors are buying or selling. It's too hard. Crowd following is easier........and it all invariably ends in tears.

It's the day traders who really get my goat. Namely the know-it-all late 90s types.
Technical traders who don't even write their own programs fall into the same basket.

Which group do you belong to Hobo? Do you like charts too? I have a lot of charts pinned up all over the walls of my office, even in my bedroom.

Nothing wrong in investing in shares. Provided the company directors and staff are doing the same. But you won't see a lot of that. Most share investors don't bother to check to see if directors are buying or selling. It's too hard. Crowd following is easier........and it all invariably ends in tears.

It's the day traders who really get my goat. Namely the know-it-all late 90s types.
Technical traders who don't even write their own programs fall into the same basket.

Which group do you belong to Hobo? Do you like charts too? I have a lot of charts pinned up all over the walls of my office, even in my bedroom.
Directors hold 20% of RCO and another 50% held by 2 other largest shareholers.

I'm not a day trader. I have my capital spread over a mixture of explorers, developers and producers. The factors I compare differ somewhat depending on the stage of a company, but some of the things I check into are management, capital, cash flow, project valuations, project history, resource grades, drilling results, etc etc.

Directors hold 20% of RCO and another 50% held by 2 other largest shareholers. .

This situation may have been unchanged for years. Have there been any RECENT large acquisitions or sales by directors or other "shareholers"? These are things you need to check up on regularly. What directors say and do are two different things. But you may not have time for this kind of research.....you are much too busy predicting the end of the world. :rolleyes:

some of the things I check into are management, capital, cash flow, project valuations, project history, resource grades, drilling results, etc etc.

Many accounting ratios can be manipulated. Too many examples to list here. The same with drilling results. Remember BreX back in '96? A spectacular example, to be sure.

I'm not sure what point you are trying to make other than to try and ruffle my feathers.

I'm sure any seasoned property investor would agree there are many risks associated with every purchase on the property front as well.

I'm not sure what point you are trying to make other than to try and ruffle my feathers.

I'm sure any seasoned property investor would agree there are many risks associated with every purchase on the property front as well.

The overwhelming majority of property investors make money in the LONG term - it doesn't happen overnight. Those who invest in the cheapest quartile of Aussie property do better than those who blindly buy the first shiny new townhouse they see for sale. Those who buy in the cheapest decile do best of all.

Can't say the same with most share investors, particularly those who are in smaller stocks or, worst of all, those who are into bullion. Most lose. I will take no pleasure in seeing you amongst them.

You are still young Hobo. Rather than get absorbed by what you read in the newspapers, you need to spend time studying economic cycles over the past century. Pin a few long term historical charts to your bedroom wall. Look at them everyday.

Really, your wife won't mind. :) Try it.

Last edited:
This is speculation, not investment. Bullion is hardly a long term investment. No tax benefits. No rent. C'mon Hobo, why not post an inflation adjusted chart of Gold for the period 1970-1979? If you'd bought at the top in '79, you'd be underwater for decades. The same with Silver. Remember the Hunt brothers spectacular attempt to corner the silver market? You weren't born then, so maybe you cannot remember it.

If you are buying gold or silver at record, all-time highs you will be crying bitter tears in a decades time. You are too young to remember very many cycles. Time will tell. Gold and silver will edge up a bit more in the next few months. But these gains are not sustainable, as was the case back in 79.

Meconium, this is absolute rubbish.
Who cares if people are speculating, so long as they are speculating with risk control procedures in place. ie they are trading.

The only people who could get burnt in this environment are those that are currently buying gold etc as an investment.

You keep making references to long term bear markets in gold, this is irrelevent as the smart traders will be exiting if there is a major change to the trend. They are not doing a 'buy and hold' for the long term. They are only currently holding because the major trend is still up.

Even better the smart traders will go from having long positions as the trend is up, to having short positions as the major trend breaks and goes into a downwards pattern. So money can be made from both patterns.

The only people who could get burnt in this environment are those that are currently buying gold etc as an investment. .

If you read the title page of this website, it says "Somersoft Property Investors Forum", there is no mention of "Traders Forum" or "Get Rich Quick in Property" or "Lets Buy Bullion".

Most people who come here are no doubt very careful with their money and are interested in property investment, not speculation or in get-rich-quick schemes. Websites like Hotcopper etc are where speculators dream about Gold reaching $10,000 an ounce and the Dow topping 30,000.

I follow the markets quite a bit. Yes, gold and silver may edge up a bit. As they did in 1979. And what happened afterwards? Those who got in at the top got badly burnt. Gold is up almost 6x off its ten year lows. Do you seriously thing this can go on forever? It's a huge bubble and its waiting to burst. This is not an investment......its a gamble. I'm all for diversity but playing the bullion markets is about as safe as playing roulette.

And yes, i'm a Jim Rogers fan as well - even if I don't agree with everything he says.

Back