RBA May 2015 announcement - 25 point cut

Thanks Peter - a clarification though:

The media release flags interest rate rises that are expected to happen in the US, not in Australia.

Although the release doesn't seem to have any further easing bias in it - suggesting it may be it for this rate cutting period.

Cheers,
Redom

Statement by Glenn Stevens, Governor: Monetary Policy Decision

At its meeting today, the Board decided to lower the cash rate by 25 basis points to 2.0 per cent, effective 6 May 2015.

The global economy is expanding at a moderate pace, but commodity prices have declined over the past year, in some cases sharply. These trends appear largely to reflect increased supply, including from Australia. Australia's terms of trade are falling nonetheless.

The Federal Reserve is expected to start increasing its policy rate later this year, but some other major central banks are stepping up the pace of unconventional policy measures. Hence, financial conditions remain very accommodative globally, with long-term borrowing rates for sovereigns and creditworthy private borrowers remarkably low.

In Australia, the available information suggests improved trends in household demand over the past six months and stronger growth in employment. Looking ahead, the key drag on private demand is likely to be weakness in business capital expenditure in both the mining and non-mining sectors over the coming year. Public spending is also scheduled to be subdued. The economy is therefore likely to be operating with a degree of spare capacity for some time yet. Inflation is forecast to remain consistent with the target over the next one to two years, even with a lower exchange rate.

Low interest rates are acting to support borrowing and spending, and credit is recording moderate growth overall, with stronger lending to businesses of late. Growth in lending to the housing market has been steady over recent months. Dwelling prices continue to rise strongly in Sydney, though trends have been more varied in a number of other cities. The Bank is working with other regulators to assess and contain risks that may arise from the housing market. In other asset markets, prices for equities and commercial property have been supported by lower long-term interest rates.

The Australian dollar has declined noticeably against a rising US dollar over the past year, though less so against a basket of currencies. Further depreciation seems both likely and necessary, particularly given the significant declines in key commodity prices.

At today's meeting, the Board judged that the inflation outlook provided the opportunity for monetary policy to be eased further, so as to reinforce recent encouraging trends in household demand.

The media release: http://www.rba.gov.au/media-releases/2015/mr-15-08.html

Thanks RF - i read that last line to mean this rate cut, not future rate cuts, especially when compared to the Feb statement where the tone suggested 'one of multiple' possible cuts.

Then again, the statements are very carefully worded so my interpretation may be completely off.

You're right, the Fed has flagged rate rises. It does tend to be in line with a lot of local predictions though (and frankly I have no faith in any prediction more than about 2 months out).

I'm having trouble seeing the real benefit of this rate cut (as I did the previous one). It's nice to pay a bit less on the mortgages, but rate cuts at this point aren't having a significant flow on effect to the business sectors, which is what really needs the stimulus. The only real benefit I can see is it drops the AUD which in turn may help exports but even this is somewhat limited and also reliant on international factors.

We've had low rates for over 2 years now and the economy doesn't appear to be improving. Monetary policy isn't working on it's own, stimulus outside of this is required, which means investment at a government level. That is happening, but more is needed.

In the meantime, it looks like our economy will be relying on a housing boom and housing bubbles to keep the economy afloat. No doubt next week the RBA will be talking about axing negative gearing and property bubble risks again.

http://www.mortgagebusiness.com.au/breaking-news/8454-industry-leaders-sound-alarm-on-rate-cut

Thanks guys. Do u think this is it or r we expecting more cuts?
When do you think rates will rise. R we looking at late 2016 2017 now?
Thanks

Thanks guys. Do u think this is it or r we expecting more cuts?
When do you think rates will rise. R we looking at late 2016 2017 now?
Thanks

I think the recent quarterly US GDP figure of only 0.20% was what has spooked the RBA. The thinking was the US was recovering nicely and this would drag the world and rates up with it but it doesn't look that simple anymore. Negative rates in parts of Europe too. Where will this end. I think we will have more cuts and heavier bank lending policy restrictions.

Case in point looks like APRA have been into Westpac and made them add a bit more fat on their servicing for investors as well as reducing LVR's for non residents to 70%. Applies to St George as well.

Last edited:
Where will this end. I think we will have more cuts and heavier bank lending policy restrictions.

Case in point looks like APRA have been into Westpac and made them add a bit more fat on their servicing for investors and we'll as reducing LVR for non residents to 70%. Applies to St George as well.

Agree with you Marty - expect to see more and more of this as the year progresses.

ANZ have decreased by .25. "Greedy" (news.com.au word) CBA have decreased only by .2

Dammit, happens to be the two banks I don't use! I'm anxiously awaiting news that AMP will drop theirs...I am at my borrowing limit and I've just submitted an application, every bit is going to help!!

there isn't much good news put it that way. Things are slowing up rather rapidly

Not property market in Syd and Melb, both markets have very high auction clearance rate and lots of competition. I can't secure anything in Melb too hot.

Perth is most definitely starting to feel the pain, property prices falling back and ongoing job losses

Dammit, happens to be the two banks I don't use! I'm anxiously awaiting news that AMP will drop theirs...I am at my borrowing limit and I've just submitted an application, every bit is going to help!!

Seems to be a pattern with the order of announcements.

Not property market in Syd and Melb, both markets have very high auction clearance rate and lots of competition. I can't secure anything in Melb too hot.

Perth is most definitely starting to feel the pain, property prices falling back and ongoing job losses

exactly, Syd is off in lala land whilst our biggest export industries and the engine room of the Australian economy are off a cliff. None of it adds up and I think it will make the day of reckoning more painful. I expect the RBA are hoping that affordability will see the Sydney bubble run out of puff before it gets too silly - time will tell

exactly, Syd is off in lala land whilst our biggest export industries and the engine room of the Australian economy are off a cliff. None of it adds up and I think it will make the day of reckoning more painful. I expect the RBA are hoping that affordability will see the Sydney bubble run out of puff before it gets too silly - time will tell

^
^
^
This.
Emphasis bold mine.

Back