RBA to cut rates by 100bp in December

The cookoo's nest

Not me, I do not forecast with any statistics, sorry no crystal ball as such to lend. I observed and interpreted what was happening and discussed.

Attached is one article in March 2008 reporting the big drop in consumer sentiment (business sentiments index was making multi year low also), implication to unemployment and potential interest drop. However, at the time the monetary management was still biased toward containing higher inflation, hence months yet before RBA found courage including re-examining its assumptions (eg IR rise contribution to CPI) to reverse course and provide IR drop in September.

http://news.sbs.com.au/worldnewsaustralia/consumer_confidence_hits_record_low_542623

As to commodity drop, it was going to drop, question then was how much after urgency for infrastructure was lessened post Beijing Olympics in combination with China's loss of exports to US courtesy of sub prime mess.

Cheers

Way back in March there was heaps of information that clearly showed we were headed into a soft depression. The RBA crowd exist in another stratisphere. I think they must snif ether in Canberra they are so high up:rolleyes:

As long as we can lock our interest rates because they will be going up for sure...:eek:

Hi BV,

And when do you think will be time to lock interest rates? What will you be looking out for to make decision to lock interest rate?

Cheers
George:)

My bet is at least a 1% reduction in December. They want people to maintain their normal spending habits for the Christmas/New Year period. Also the RBA don't meet in January so they are making a decision for a 2 month period. Maybe a 1.5% cut is not out of the question like the Bank Of England. The Aus government were talking about a second stimulus package this morning. What greater stimulus could you get than a 1.5% interest rate cut.

All I want for Christmas is a 6% fixed rate for 10 years. Lock it in Eddie!!

All i want for christmas is a LOWWWWWWW interest rate. I just signed contract... 30 days to cool so im assuming that my repayments will start late december/early Jan. Fingers crossed it drops 1%. Im currently signed up for 3 yr economiser rate with commonwealth at 7.06% fingers crossed for my new mortgage that it will be 6.06%, oh sweet jesus! I cant belive i am so excited over interest rates.. better earlier then later i guess! I may actually be able to pay it off in 8 yrs...

Way back in March there was heaps of information that clearly showed we were headed into a soft depression. The RBA crowd exist in another stratisphere. I think they must snif ether in Canberra they are so high up:rolleyes:

It's alright for them to be working up there, secure with stable public service pay and conditions, but they should not forget the impact of their machination on the laymen; workers and small business. It irks me to hear/read of them referring to historical 'low' foreclosure rate in Western Sydney when there are families out there under stress and breaking up because of over-tightening of credit. :(

And when do you think will be time to lock interest rates? What will you be looking out for to make decision to lock interest rate?

Before you ever lock in your low IRs , read a book called "Wealth Wizards" by Mark Bouris...( He's the guy who started Wizard the MB). History shows it's VERY, VERY difficult to beat the banks at what is truly their game.
LL

It's alright for them to be working up there, secure with stable public service pay and conditions, but they should not forget the impact of their machination on the laymen; workers and small business. It irks me to hear/read of them referring to historical 'low' foreclosure rate in Western Sydney when there are families out there under stress and breaking up because of over-tightening of credit. :(

Agree totally Francesco ! And what is even worse is the spineless pollies who conveniently and airily ( read Rudd ) adopt a total hands-off, not our fault blame the RBA, couldn't give-a-hoot attitude. Their chickens will most assuredly come home to roost.
LL

Yep I reckon we are in for some high inflation in the near future. It will erode the debt and savings of many australian families and business.

i think the RBA has realised it may be the only way to "deleverage" the Australian public - inflation.

Agree totally Francesco ! And what is even worse is the spineless pollies who conveniently and airily ( read Rudd ) adopt a total hands-off, not our fault blame the RBA, couldn't give-a-hoot attitude. Their chickens will most assuredly come home to roost.
LL
OK,

Not trying to be political here, but I don't understand that comment. Are you suggesting the government's $10Bn stimulus package was too "hands off"?

Or, are you suggesting that Rudd's "War on Inflation" was ill advised as it appears to have been with 20/20 hindsight.

Just looking for clarity around how you can perceive the current government's actions to be hands off and blame the RBA.

Cheers,
Michael

because they know it's just a blip on the radar - remember most folk on here would qualify for a 0.7% discount with CBA - which would make 15year rates about 7.2% currently.

minus any drop in Dec and poss Feb/Mar, you could see as low as 6% fixed for 10 or 15 years - depending on how the banks pass it on i guess.

we are a long way off!

http://www.commbank.com.au/personal/home-loans/complete-home/rates-fees/default.aspx

why are fixed rates so expensive anyway since the banks know rates are coming down?
Because they know they're going to go back up again...

We've got a small, two year max?, reprieve from inflation thanks to the US. We're still the lucky country and Chindia is still industrialising. The commodity super cycle is still in place, just taking a side step for the deleverage game of today.

I expect banks still see inflation fighting being the main game next decade and don't want to lock in long term rates at a neutral or even stimulatory setting. That is precisely why I WANT to lock them in as low as I can in the next 12 months, because I reckon they'll be running up again pretty quickly from 2010 onwards.

Cheers,
Michael

Just looking for clarity around how you can perceive the current government's actions to be hands off and blame the RBA.

MW, I was actually winding the tape back a bit further to earlier 2008 , the period when IRs were still rising, inflation was THE PROBLEM, and ( I think) post budget. Rudd was on TV and clearly stated that (1) IRs were "not his business", they were for the RBA to manage and the populous could, in effect, "eat cake". (2) house prices were also "not his business". The fact that these two issues were those uppermost in the mind of most of the electorate, and the electorate (sooner or later) would determine his fate seemed to escape Kev at that point in time. Maybe he has re-considered given the US/global debacle ..caused by..in large part ....house prices.
LL

we are a long way off!

http://www.commbank.com.au/personal/home-loans/complete-home/rates-fees/default.aspx

why are fixed rates so expensive anyway since the banks know rates are coming down?

Banks fix their rate according to the funding rate they have to pay, if they'll go just following their guesses they'll bankrupt very soon. Long term rate are higher because they don't have cheap long term funding. If they'll get a pension fund or investor that will lock in money in the bank for 10 years at 5% then you might see 6% 10 years mortgage. It might happen that the Government in a desperation act will borrow money to banks at long term rate of around 5% and then release 10 year treasury bonds that likely will be sold for around 5% (that is the current price for 10 years AUS gov bonds).
So, I believe that if economy and home price will get worse you'll see much more money giving act from the GOV, best time for debt holder or home buyers might have not come jet. I just hope they'll know what their are doing and don't go throught the path of a Banana republic.:eek:

Hi BV,

Cheers
George:)

For me it will be good time to fix some of my loans when the 5 year fixed rate is @ 5% or the 10 year fixed @ 6%.

I've read in another thread that Westpac as of today is offering a 3 year fixed loan @ 4.99%
http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47827

If it's true, this is an excellent offer but 3 years is a too short timeframe for me.
However, I am suspecting that other good deals will come along soon.
I can't wait...:D

My deciding factor in fixing my IP loans will be my holding costs
A 6% rate will make me cash flow neutral so this will be a good starting point.
My PPOR loan though is more important to get it right so I will wait and see what's on offer

cheers

I've read in another thread that Westpac as of today is offering a 3 year fixed loan @ 4.99%.

Bit hard to believe tho when the targeted cash rate is only 74 basis points below and its not officially published on their website.

Last edited:
Rick

Have to say that I agree with you - I'm old enough (and cynical enough :D) to know that banks aren't renowned for their generosity or philanthropy. If they reckon 4.99% for 3 years sounds good to the masses, then they must think - no, make that KNOW - that IRs are going to be below that level within 3 years.

I'm happy to continue with variable.

Cheers
LynnH

Last edited:
Save a penny lose a pound... the conditions that have led to these interest rate decreases have destroyed peoples wealth far more than they will save in interest payments.
I'd prefer these rate decreases were not required.

Back