re:- Job headaches

i had my job application for an organistion (say Company A) accepted last week. the pay is average (below median, not much difference from the present one anyway) but this organisation has more flexible hours.

got a call from an ex client (from Company B), heard i am not happy with the present work place, is happy to offer me a senior position, a car and more money. A step forward in career. As it is a big organisation, it will take at least 2 weeks (interview & selection etc) for him to confirm.

Though i have not signed anything with company A, I am not sure if I should turn down company A, especially when i have verbally accepted the offer, if company B presents the offer.

And recently, company C heard about my intention to move had also express interest to meeting up for interview. Though the deal is quite similar to company B, distance to company C from home is shorter (much shorter).

should i just accept company A first and if the better offers come up, move accordingly? with the new house and baby coming, my head tells me companies B or C. but how and what should i tell company A?

happy to hear constructive comments from anyone.

Just move to Company A to get out of your current workplace. If company b or c come through with their offers, just give the required notice to Company A and say that the job isn't working out for you. Lots of people leave after short spans of time in a company. Not worth missing out on one job in the hope of getting another.

In addition to what luckyone said, don't worry about offending anyone at company A if you decide not to work there. It's not worth being stuck in an inferior job just to be polite.

I agree with luckyone. My son has had similar things happen regarding uni holiday jobs. Whilst waiting to hear from his preferred employer, he has been offered jobs with his "second choice".

When he has applied for a few jobs, I have always advised him to accept the first job that comes up (different for you as his is a casual holiday job) and if the preferred job is offered, then to be honest and give appropriate notice to the first place. It is not nice letting people down, but that is life and with uni holiday jobs, there is always someone else to fill the gap.

You have to look after YOU.

Agree with the above.

If it isn't too disruptive, take Job A for the time being. Have a look inside the organization, talk about possible career progression options etc. Learn as much as you can while there. The knowledge may come in handy when you move to the opposition.

If/when you get an offer from B or C, tell A. They may offer you more to stay.

In general, larger established companies are more secure than start ups and small cos.....and therefore have more lurks and perks i.e. you work less hard for your $.

Further, keep in mind you may be aiming too low. There may be Company D,E,F out there who will offer something even better.

As for worrying about inconveniencing anyone, you have to start considering yourself a company, even if you are an employee.

Company A will make passive income out of you, to feather the nests of the directors. Your first and last priority should be to feather your own nest. You may even do Company A a favor by leaving, by helping them realize they can't keep a good employee in a competitive environment with sub market salary. This may drive them to improve their systems and processes.

The knowledge may come in handy when you move to the opposition.

This brings up a good point. If you're a contractor, make sure you don't sign anything that effectively locks you out of the competition. More common in IT, where lets say for example you were working on a particular type of software, your contract might say that after leaving you can't write that same type of software for anyone else for a certain period (eg 6 or 12 months).

ok... true enough company B has offered me the job. And company A contacted me today and asked how I would like my name printed on the name card. Darn!!! How am i going to break that news? a letter? an email? phone call? :confused:

Just move to Company A to get out of your current workplace. If company b or c come through with their offers, just give the required notice to Company A and say that the job isn't working out for you. Lots of people leave after short spans of time in a company. Not worth missing out on one job in the hope of getting another.

i personally would hate to employ someone and then have them quit for a better job.

however, i think you should advise company A that a better offer has been presented.

ok... true enough company B has offered me the job. And company A contacted me today and asked how I would like my name printed on the name card. Darn!!! How am i going to break that news? a letter? an email? phone call? :confused:

A will get over it.....they'll be offering a name card to someone less skilled and less worthy than your good self tomorrow.....for the same money.

Yep, do it now while they still have details of all the other applicants.

I have had that happen to me, at the time it was a toss up between two people, one said Sorry, so I just grabbed the other guy.

Worked for me :)

spoke to management from company A today and they heard from the great vine that I am already preparing to go company B... so the phone conversation was not a shock to company A... short and sweet conversation.

Back