Real estate agent fees negotiable?

Perth
I've noticed in my area some agents have 0-2 listings. I've had one agent offer me $10,000 selling fee instead of $14,000 selling fee on $370,000 property. I don't think I'll use her though.
Would it reflect on service or be offensive to ask other agents if their fees are negotiable?

Would it reflect on service or be offensive to ask other agents if their fees are negotiable?

Definately negotiate agents fees!!

We always pay 2.2%, or less if we can get away with it.

In this market, you should still get the same level of 'agent service' (oxymoron) and never pay for advertising. :)

Thanks for replies, I'll give it a go!
Good point on advertising - I've only sold one property previously, (10 years ago) and it just came back to me the dramas I had with 2 agents and advertising fees.
1st agent advertised my property under a different suburb where they had other properties for sale because it was cheaper for them to not pay for their logo again under the correct suburb. They also tried to charge me for advertising line with the company's name.
2nd agent sold my property on first day, before advertising and chucked a tantrum when I refused to pay $1000 for advertising.

Is there any other tips!!!

negotiate negotiate negotiate negotiate negotiate!

In regards to advertising, good luck getting many agents to foot the bill for advertising YOUR property.

I know of no other profession that would spend its own money to perform a service. No profession will invest funds in a service without some guarantee of recovery. What happens if your home doesn't sell? You decide to take it off the market or sell through another agent etc.........

Yep, careful with trying to get the agent to pay for the advertising. You don't want to save a few hundred dollars and risk missing one purchaser because of a cheap advertising campaign. That missed purchaser could mean you sell your house for thousands less.

Everything's up for negotiation....

But consider this... if your would-be RE caves when you ask them for a cut in commission rates, does that really bode well for how they might be when they're negotiating on your behalf to try and get the best price possible?

It doesn't in my book.

Back