Real estate industry sounding different recently

That is why I got sick of my car breaking down all the time
I'll go out on a limb here and suggest the car had lots of miles, was a bit older, and needed expensive jobs done on it that were put off?
We see it EVERY day.

And there is our dilemma; we want to look after the customer on price, but give them a car that works.

We had one on Monday - Hyundai Excel (which are generally good cars) in for a service. Over 200km's, and the lady said she "was looking for a new car", so didn't want to spend a lot of money. It needed a number of things done; least of which is the Timing Belt Kit at 200,000km's. It is now overdue.

The bill for the service and what was needed to keep it on the road (no TBK done) was $300, which by our standards is a bit on the high side for services. But, it needed it.

She complained a bit and i had to explain that these jobs were needed, otherwise the car would stop. She said "but I'm getting rid of it"

Now, people say this and then for various reasons keep the car another 6 months to a year. Time enough for the car to blow up.

If we hadn't done the few other little jobs that we did, and the car broke down, she would be whinging that the car was "recently serviced and now it's broken down".

It'd be our fault.

Another one yesterday; lady has brakes reported to be done next service. Comes in with "grinding noise" - needs new rotors and pads. Turns out it is 10k overdue for service. She asks why weren't they done last service? Intimating it is our fault. Reminded her the service was 10k ago. Again; lots of miles and no money to spend on upkeep.

I would honestly like to know why people have such an issue with real estate agents. As you said the general public don't like them, but why?

Try these two:
1. Advertise a price range for an auction (which they recommend you do) and the house sells for $100k or more over the range. They know what houses are worth - it's what they do all day every day.

2. Tell you they will get $500k for your house and after 6 weeks tell you "the market is telling us" that it's only worth $400k. They know what houses are worth - it's what they do all day every day.

Last edited:
I'll go out on a limb here and suggest the car had lots of miles, was a bit older, and needed expensive jobs done on it that were put off?

It was a 10 year old Holden Barina with about 140,000km's. It was regularly serviced and I can assure you I never put off any expensive jobs that were required (especially after my 'Aircraft General Knowledge' course, I gained much appreciation for the importance of looking after the engine and it's components). I used to have it serviced at a mechanic who I did trust, but he was in a very inconvenient location so thought I'd try a local one. So I made two mistakes 1. buying a Holden Barina 2. Changing mechanics.

I now drive a brand new Mazda 2 and has been worth every cent. I used to say new cars were a waste of money, but after many times of breaking down on the road (and too scared to drive late at night on my own far from home), and worrying about how I was going to get my car fixed and then get to work etc. for me it is completely worth it! I'd never spend a lot on a new car and I'd never finance one, but I can't see myself going back now. I get it serviced at Mazda and so far the service costs are reasonable. The standard ones are only costing me $200. I think my Barina was around $150 to service, and Mazda also give me a courtesy car which includes the fuel and tolls for no extra cost, so just the convenience factor makes it all worth it. Plus I've been able to reduce my RACV from total care to basic cover which saves me $100 a year.

And there is our dilemma; we want to look after the customer on price, but give them a car that works.

I share your frustration here. I just had a client wonder why their accounting fee increased $100 this year from last despite the fact they purchased two investment properties this year. :rolleyes:

Back