Realestate.com.au features you use!

Hi Everyone,

Thankyou all so much for your responsed on my recent post about your opininos on Realestate.com vs domain.com

Just wondering for those of you who use RE.com if you regularly look through the sold properties on the site?

Also if you have ever clicked through one of the agents banner advertisements?

Do you use any of the other tabs - retire, new development, renovate etc?

Thanks!!!

I often look at the sold properties as well as the ones for sale, to compare the asking to the actual sold price.

Unfortunately, many properties sold don't have an actual sold price, but there is sometimes a sold price range - which is useless.

I don't use any of the other tabs, other than occasionally check the land for sale.

Same plus alerts (that you can set up).

Sold properties feature is crappy. As LAA said, never gives you the exact price

From the one's I used to look at in the Sold section with a price range - 90% of the time, the sale price was exactly between the 2 prices ie. Sold Range $240-$280k, actual sale price was $260k. It depends on the individual agents as to what they put in, but most seem to follow that formula.

From the one's I used to look at in the Sold section with a price range - 90% of the time, the sale price was exactly between the 2 prices ie. Sold Range $240-$280k, actual sale price was $260k. It depends on the individual agents as to what they put in, but most seem to follow that formula.

Actually we dont get to specify the range. We have to list the exact sale price and then select either show, dont show or show a range. So i imagine the range would give 10% each way or something similar.

Actually we dont get to specify the range. We have to list the exact sale price and then select either show, dont show or show a range. So i imagine the range would give 10% each way or something similar.

Straight from the horses mouth! Thanks Alabex. :)

That would explain why it's always dead in the middle. But I have seen the occasional anomoly like on my second to last purchase - perhaps computer error?

Bit of a trick here for you all; as mentioned earlier, the realestate.com.au listings all need to have a singled price assigned to them even if only a range or "auction" is displayed. The single price helps the ad get sorted in the search results.

Anyway, you can see this single price in the source code of the web page. Just load the ad then click on "View" -> "Source" on your browser and search the text for "adprice" (all one word). You'll see a piece of text like "adPrice%3D200000" where the price is the figure after the "%3D" characters (i.e. $200k in this example).

Very handy for seeing where the agent has positioned the property price wise!

Anyway, you can see this single price in the source code of the web page. Just load the ad then click on "View" -> "Source" on your browser and search the text for "adprice" (all one word). You'll see a piece of text like "adPrice%3D200000" where the price is the figure after the "%3D" characters (i.e. $200k in this example).
Very interesting... just worked for me... thanks for the tip!

I often look at the sold properties as well as the ones for sale, to compare the asking to the actual sold price.

Unfortunately, many properties sold don't have an actual sold price, but there is sometimes a sold price range - which is useless.

I don't use any of the other tabs, other than occasionally check the land for sale.

currently looking to buy right now, and this is pretty much the same way i use R.E

Does r.e have a suburb profile similar to domain.com.au?

Last edited:
Now that I think about it - one of the things that bugs me with REA.com is when I'm searching in an area I don't know. I refine my search location, but the system seems to choose to ignore it at times.

eg. I try searching for units within 'Sydney', and I get results for units 100km+ away from Sydney. :mad:

ha, good trick.says 240-280 and the adprice says 285k... tricky agents!

It often works the other way too. You'll see an auction come up and the agent has positioned it way too low in the search (I suspect to make it look more attractive). The price point they enter into the website is not exactly a representation to the potential buyer so there doesn't appear to be much obligation to get it right.

Bit of a trick here for you all; as mentioned earlier, the realestate.com.au listings all need to have a singled price assigned to them even if only a range or "auction" is displayed. The single price helps the ad get sorted in the search results.

Very handy for seeing where the agent has positioned the property price wise!

Does this also have the information regarding the date the ad was posted? Did a few searches on the 'source' information but couldn't see anything that looked like it.

had a quick look at the source - couldnt see anything relating to date, just property particulars (state, region, suburb) and the property id and my user id.

Straight from the horses mouth! Thanks Alabex. :)

That would explain why it's always dead in the middle. But I have seen the occasional anomoly like on my second to last purchase - perhaps computer error?

yeah not sure.... or the agent entered the price incorrectly perhaps?

had a quick look at the source - couldnt see anything relating to date, just property particulars (state, region, suburb) and the property id and my user id.

even if you could see the date it wouldn't be exact. We often take properties off completely and relist them if they have been around for a while so they are "new" again and thus at the top of searches and broadcast to subscribers again.

sorry i must be blind i can't find the bit to quote now... however someone asked about suburb profiles... Yes Real estate.com does do suburb profiles.... they are in the process of upgrading them further atm.

yeah, one in Broadie is "new" even though I looked at it about 2-3 months ago...lol overpriced at $245k on 600m which you can't subdivide.

Back