realestate.com.au

Hi Everyone

Does anyone have any experiences with the 'upgrading' of ads on re.com?

I have my ad as a feature ad which cost $140.00 a month. The agent wants to upgrade it to a highlight ad which costs $700.00 a month. I am happy to spend the money if I thought it was worthwhile. I am just not sure that it is going to make much difference.

Has anyone looked into this before?

Thanks

Ben

How did you pick this agent? Of the others you interviewed, did they suggest something similar?

If it were me, I would trust the agent and do as directed, because he/she is the expert in selling property.

But then, I have only ever sold one property, and that was after it was withdrawn from sale and the agent contacted me 6 months later with the beeping sounds trucks make when they are reversing....

Depends on how niche the property is, where the property is and what the demand is like in the area. If similar properties to yours in the same general area are extremely plentiful then the extra exposure may be worth it, however if its in an area of strong demand then most probably not. Its not a small purchase where people glaze over the ad's its generally one of the biggest purchases of their life so most will scour through all suitable options regardless of whether they are premium or not. Don't believe the marketing spiel.

As a good test to see if its worth while, choose two comparable new listings one premium ad' one not and click on the top right hand corner to see their respective click through (view) rates differ much.

For me premium listing go in the bucket along with newspaper ad's and agency mag's i.e. may work for some high end or niche market properties, but more often than not it is a way an agency gets the seller to pay for their advertising.

Good day Ben,
I have been listing and selling real estate for 9 years. I started when I was 19, so I can’t claim I have been around for 30 years but I have experience for the better part of the last decade.

So, if can be so blunt, there is only one real factor when selling a property. It’s the PRICE! Being an agent is one of the most arrogant professions around. (This is probably why I can’t stand talking to most of them) Providing a property is priced correctly and simply advertised on domain.com.au & realestate.com.au it will sell. You could hire a monkey and pay him a banana if you wanted.

You can advertise your property on the front page of the telegraph everyday for a week, you can get a 60 second ad on the final of “the voice” and you can drop pamphlets from an aeroplane… It won’t matter if the price is wrong.

In saying that, internet advertising is important and having a feature property would certainly boost your exposure. But your property will only come up first if the user conducts a “default” search of your suburb or post code. These days people are pretty savvy. And most buyers I speak to search for their criteria or simply click “newest to oldest” to filter out old listings they have already seen.

Offcourse there are exceptions, but for residential properties- the asking price is the key. Anyway, best of luck in the sale of your property.

Also- $700 per month is a lot for an internet advert. It would want to shoot fireworks out of the screen for that much.

When I was working the other side of the fence, our marketing package included the upgraded advert (little do people know that agent is most likely already paying for that as part of their subscription to domain.com.au or re.com.au).

It places yours at the top when people search a suburb. Apparently "research shows" that highlighted properties get at least double the number of hits.

I noticed more and more doing it so it's not as eclusive as it was previously.
I guess it depends on how "hot" your area is.

As I said, this forms part of the agent's standard marketing subscription.

How often do you hear the seller say "I want a less prominent webvert" because it will save them money?

Question, although propertynow.com.au is a highly ranked listing site, it is still not as popular as realestate.com.au or domain.com.au
Personally I have never looked at propertynow.com.au for property or listed so question is, would he/she be loosing some potential traffic?

I can’t speak on behalf of all agencies, but we get around 65% enquiry via realestate.com.au, 34% from domain and 1% between the rest.

Question, although propertynow.com.au is a highly ranked listing site, it is still not as popular as realestate.com.au or domain.com.au
Personally I have never looked at propertynow.com.au for property or listed so question is, would he/she be loosing some potential traffic?

The point about propertynow is that their listings go on realestate.com.au as well.

Good day Ben,

So, if can be so blunt, there is only one real factor when selling a property. It’s the PRICE! Being an agent is one of the most arrogant professions around. (This is probably why I can’t stand talking to most of them) Providing a property is priced correctly and simply advertised on domain.com.au & realestate.com.au it will sell. You could hire a monkey and pay him a banana if you wanted.

You can advertise your property on the front page of the telegraph everyday for a week, you can get a 60 second ad on the final of “the voice” and you can drop pamphlets from an aeroplane… It won’t matter if the price is wrong.

Offcourse there are exceptions, but for residential properties- the asking price is the key. Anyway, best of luck in the sale of your property.

I see your point. Can I ask though - why is it properties are selling at auction then for so much above reserve?
You see these absolute beauties on the web and you go to the auction and see people fighting over them.

For me personally, it's not all about the price. I wouldn't pay for a cheap ramshackle property (that I could not fix up).

I tend to find the more expensive the advert, the larger and more prominent the selling agent's logo. Why would you really pay $700pm to promote the agents brand?

I see your point. Can I ask though - why is it properties are selling at auction then for so much above reserve?
You see these absolute beauties on the web and you go to the auction and see people fighting over them.

For me personally, it's not all about the price. I wouldn't pay for a cheap ramshackle property (that I could not fix up).

Because sometimes the agent bull***s about the reserve, other times they may promote the property at a lower price then they expect to achieve (this is called bait advertising). Sometimes, for the right property buyers are prepared to pay a premium, sometimes buyers feel pressured at auction especially infront of a big crowd, sometimes emotion and the thrill of the fight gets a buyer carried away.

And you may not pay for a cheap dog box, but if the dog box is all you could afford, you wouldn’t pay more than it’s worth.

Back