Recent unpaid rates auctions NSW

A couple of months back there was an unpaid rates auction in the Blue Mountains and a few weeks after one in Port Stephens - I popped in to the BM one but by the auction day any of the good lots (IMO) had their rates paid and were taken off the sales list, it was my first auction of this type and I imagain it's what usually happens.

Curious to know if any forumites attended either of these, particularily the Port Stephens one as I'm interested in the outcome, I could research it, but it's more fun to ask :p

A couple of months back there was an unpaid rates auction in the Blue Mountains and a few weeks after one in Port Stephens - I popped in to the BM one but by the auction day any of the good lots (IMO) had their rates paid and were taken off the sales list, it was my first auction of this type and I imagain it's what usually happens.

Curious to know if any forumites attended either of these, particularily the Port Stephens one as I'm interested in the outcome, I could research it, but it's more fun to ask :p

I'm not sure if it was the Port Stephens one but I did see one advertised where the agent stated in the add that he expected the rates to be paid by the auction date. In other words it was a scare campagne to get the owner to pay and he was just going through the necessary steps. I think you would have to accept that there is a very good chance the property would be withdrawn in these cases.

I'm not particularly comfortable picking the flesh off a newly dead carcass.

I'm not particularly comfortable picking the flesh off a newly dead carcass.

I have no issue with it given rates have to go unpaid for many years before council can put up for auction, if there were no repercussions I wouldn't pay my rates either! ;)

Last edited:
I have no issue with it given rates have to go unpaid for many years before council can put up for auction, if there were no repercussions I wouldn't pay my rates either! ;)

We have about 2 years..then the threat of auction...or should i say promise

Back