Recommend PM Brisbane

Need competent PM Brisbane. IP vacant 3 months now

My IP is in McDowall and has been sitting vacant for almost 3 months now.

I've had a gutful of our original agent and they got the boot about a month ago. I then hired a new agent and seem to have jumped from the frying pan into the fire. :mad:

Really need a recommendation for a competent agent. Anybody ever heard of such an animal??:rolleyes:

Beginning to think that self-managing is better than the nonsense that I'm actually paying for.

Here's the house:

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-mcdowall-409624683

HELP............................

Last edited:
Looks like a nice place, though the mottley 80's brown carpet may be holding it back a bit on desirability factor. Would recarpeting improve your rent?

One tactic I have used twice now and it worked was to offer one weeks rent free. The condition of the free rent was that the tenant must sign for at least 6 months.

If this were my property I would -

Take it off the Internet. Put back on as a new listing with better photos.
The heading of the listing needs on say 1 weeks rent
Maybe change agents.

I'll PM you who I use for a north Brisbane property and also who we moved from that I would absolutely NOT recommend.

DaveM.....yes the carpet is about the only negative in the place I think. And no, we wouldn't get more rent with new carpet I don't think. So the brown swirly whirly stuff stays for the time being.

L&P.....The house did get taken off the internet for about a week when swapping agents.

Thanks everyone for your replies, I'll be investigating some more.

Ciao

DaveM.....yes the carpet is about the only negative in the place I think. And no, we wouldn't get more rent with new carpet I don't think.

You would definitely achieve a higher rent with new carpet. The current carpet looks terrible and is extremely off-putting. The heavy floral curtains are also a major drawback. I don't necessarily think that you would be able to increase the rent past $440 with new carpet and blinds, but at the moment you are overpriced.

I don't mean to offend, but you definitely need to be told some harsh truths. 3 months vacant is a pretty strong indicator that your property does not appeal to the thousands of quality tenants looking in that area and price range.

You have lost $5,700 in income so far. It's time to get real and take action.

I would strongly recommend staying away for a company called That's Property in Paddington. They are dreadful at customer service and no good at proactive property management, a bad experience for me.

I understand it would have been taken off when you changed agents.

If this was my property I would untie those curtians to make them look better. Curtain wonderland are having a huge sale at the momnet and I would be very surprised if you couldn't find something there to replace those tab tops.
It needs new photos. The house looks tired. The carpet doesnt help but realistically replacing carpet is probably a bit extreme.

I imagine after all this rain the grass at the front of the house would look nice and green ? Not brown like in the current photo. Also the curtains tied up can be seen in that first photo. Do you live close enough to the house to go and water pressure clean the driveway to make it look better.

Just tizzy it up and at the risk of repeating myself get some better photos.

Try the rent free offer - you've got nothing to lose :D ( except another weeks rent ! )

Edit :
I just had a look what else was available in McDowall. I would probably drop the rent by $5 - $10 per week. Thats only $260 to $520 you would lose in one year. The house sitting for 3 months has already cost much more than that.

I could recommend you talk with Jarrod Lane, he posts from time to time and a few of us on here use him as our rental agent for our IPs in Brisbane. I'm not sure if he services that northern part of Brisbane where your property is but you can ask the question. He's not with one of the big guys and provides a good personalized service at a good rate.

http://www.propertynetwork.com.au/Agent/GetAgentDetail?seq=3

Similar to yourself, my previous agent was an absolute nightmare so I feel your pain. Working with Jarrod has been an infinitely better experience.

I could recommend you talk with Jarrod Lane, he posts from time to time and a few of us on here use him as our rental agent for our IPs in Brisbane. I'm not sure if he services that northern part of Brisbane where your property is but you can ask the question. He's not with one of the big guys and provides a good personalized service at a good rate.

http://www.propertynetwork.com.au/Agent/GetAgentDetail?seq=3

Similar to yourself, my previous agent was an absolute nightmare so I feel your pain. Working with Jarrod has been an infinitely better experience.

+1 !

ta
rolf

Really appreciate everyones comments and feedback, thanks.

Carpet will have to stay unfortunately, can't afford anything else just yet.
Although the carpet looks hideous, it is very clean and in really good nick.

The house is kinda outdated, I know that, though the kitchen has just been updated and has brand new cooktop and oven.

Anyway, will keep you updated if you're interested.

I have a pretty nice property in the Ipswich area that had not been tenanted for close to 3 weeks. Last week, I dropped the rent by $20 pw and put up an ad on Gumtree along with pictures and have had an amazing response. All referrals from Gumtree have been vetted by my property manager.

I am considering a new PM to take care of my IP in a Brisbane suburb. (North East)

My IP is being advertised for two weeks so far.
Actually, my PM couldn't arrange open inspection after previous tenants submitted termination notice because one of them felt sick (not sure if it was true) and also being "uncomfortable" while veiwers coming inside the house while their personal belongings were there.
So my PM didn't push them hard as one of them sounded like a difficult person.

As a result, our property is on the market for two weeks now AFTER being vacated. (AND missed two more weeks beforehand while tenants were leaving)
I am not sure what legal right owners have against this king of tenants refusal to have an open inspection for viewing.

Also I monitored the ad page of my IP, which my PM put in Domain/realestate.com.au, and found out there was no open inspection 'announced' on these pages on last Saturday.
I thought that Satudays is a biggest day for property inspection and people who have descent jobs will go out for inspection (rent or sale) on Saturdays.

I feel like once new tenants signe the contract, I want to find a better PM.

I have seen discussion here or other threads and if you have any good PM to recommend or avoid, please let me know.

I am considering a new PM to take care of my IP in a Brisbane suburb. (North East)

My IP is being advertised for two weeks so far.
Actually, my PM couldn't arrange open inspection after previous tenants submitted termination notice because one of them felt sick (not sure if it was true) and also being "uncomfortable" while veiwers coming inside the house while their personal belongings were there.
So my PM didn't push them hard as one of them sounded like a difficult person.

As a result, our property is on the market for two weeks now AFTER being vacated. (AND missed two more weeks beforehand while tenants were leaving)
I am not sure what legal right owners have against this king of tenants refusal to have an open inspection for viewing.

Also I monitored the ad page of my IP, which my PM put in Domain/realestate.com.au, and found out there was no open inspection 'announced' on these pages on last Saturday.
I thought that Satudays is a biggest day for property inspection and people who have descent jobs will go out for inspection (rent or sale) on Saturdays.

I feel like once new tenants signe the contract, I want to find a better PM.

I have seen discussion here or other threads and if you have any good PM to recommend or avoid, please let me know.

The tenant can request that no opens for inspections be done making the only option to take tenant through the property one at a time. but most tenants would prefer one open per week compared to one a day with private inspections.
form 9 -24 hours notice is required but the agent has a right to show perspective tenants through the property.

post Pm me the ad and ill give you some feedback on the marketing and price.

The tenant can request that no opens for inspections be done making the only option to take tenant through the property one at a time. but most tenants would prefer one open per week compared to one a day with private inspections.

The tenants must actually give written permission for the agent to advertise "open for inspection times". It's not a matter of holding them until the tenant requests otherwise, as that would be a breach of the Act.

The alternative is to show multiple people at pre-arranged times, not one at a time each day as the above poster suggests. Our office has an automatic reply to every enquiry that shows people all the available times that they can get through. This means they are registered for the inspections and thus satisfying legislative requirements. We find this to be very successful and sometimes end up with over 15-20 people registered for a Saturday inspection.

It sounds like your current PM isn't working very hard for you.

Matt

I would also recommend Russell and the Pure Rentals team to anyone.

We have had so many problems with previous agents. We moved all our properties over to Russell a couple of months ago. I can't believe how we could have been putting up with bad service before when Pure Rentals has just made everything so easy.

They are absolute professionals and I can't speak highly enough of them.

thanks for those who provided recommendation.

Quick question x2 about open inspection for lease;

1. Do IP owers expect PM to have an open inspection on Saturdays?
(especially it's been on the market over 2 weeks [+ 2 weeks after lease termination notes handed in])

I just realised my PM doesn't hold it on Saturdays somehow.
I don't have lots experience to go to rental inspection (although a lots for SALE), but kind of thought Saturday is the best day for open inspection both lease and sale.

2. Let's say I decided to change PM while still my IP is vacant.
My IP is currently advertised on realestate and domain. What happen if I change PM while it's vacant, what happened to current ads on these sites and fees - am I going to pay the ad fees again to a new PM?
Or should I wait until it's tenanted?

If anyone have experienced similar or have a good knowledge, please share yours.

t
1. Do IP owers expect PM to have an open inspection on Saturdays?
(especially it's been on the market over 2 weeks [+ 2 weeks after lease termination notes handed in])

2. Let's say I decided to change PM while still my IP is vacant.
My IP is currently advertised on realestate and domain. What happen if I change PM while it's vacant, what happened to current ads on these sites and fees - am I going to pay the ad fees again to a new PM?
Or should I wait until it's tenanted?

1. As your property is vacant, I would expect Saturday inspections, or at the very least to be called back by the property manager on the same day that you enquire... I phoned and emailed at lunchtime today and have had zero response. You can't rent properties if you can't master the telephone and email.

Also, as most of the enquiries and inspections are done over the weekend, you've effectively lost another week in the campaign, unless your agent is holding some sort of secret open house and just not phoning back any enquiries :)

2. If you pay advertising to your current PM, you are being ripped off. Unless your property is 'featured' on realestate.com.au (which it's not), then it's not costing the agent anything other than the monthly subscription that they're paying anyway. The old agent would remove the ad, and the new agent would put up a fresh one, bumping it to the top of the search results.

Also -find an agent that doesn't charge any advertising and it won't cost you anything. It also shouldn't cost anything in exit fees from the old PM when it's vacant, and if it does, the new agent would cover those costs.

Matt

Back