Recommendations for Ovens

We are doing a partial kitchen reno in our new PPOR and have to get a new oven. Dont need rangehood etc.

I really want an old fashioned griller, so I can make grilled cheese sandwiches....... but it seems that the "new fangled" ovens all grill in the oven.
I haven worked out how to do that, and whether you really do get the same outcome as when you use a proper griller. Any feedback from those of you who are more modern than me!

Any other recommendations on ovens I should get? The builder can get a good deal on Blanco, but I cant see anything on their website which has an old fashioned griller, and I have a fairly fixed size to work with, so that it fits into our existing space (600mmW x 720mmH)

I dont want the cheapest.... I want something good quality which will last etc.. and which will grill well! :)

doesnt really answer your question why dont you just get a small/domestic salamander if the griller is so important?

In my experience, "Italian Brands" are just as likely to be rebranded "Central European". Even my Bosch fridge is pretty junky.

The value in Meile lasts when the price is forgotten.

a shop assistant told me once that Westinghouse and Bosch have models which are larger on the inside than others which is impt to me.
As far as I am concerned the grill in my oven grills sambos just as well as a separate grill. We have had a Westinghouse for 12 years now ready for an upgrade soon so might try Bosch.

I also hate grilling in the oven and having to leave the oven door open. We bought an oven with a separate griller, wall mounted (Whirlpool). The top oven can be used as an oven or griller and the door can be closed when grilling.

I would say that my Dad's house has a huge Ilve cooker, looks fantastic, but I just cleaned it over Easter when tenants went out. I took all the parts outside, sprayed non-caustic cleaner on them, scrubbed them with a scourer and then used the karcher on them. They did come up better, but the metal rings are still stained, just like on my cheaper brand at home.

I wouldn't like to have paid $7K or thereabouts and still have stains on the gas surrounds. People rave about these expensive European appliances, but they get stained and dirty like all the rest.

what is a salamander.. apart from a fish!!:)

salamander is something used to grill/crisp food at up to pretty high heats. typically used in commercial kitchens but there are a few domestic ones available now, im pretty sure miele has one

this is an example of what a smallish commercial one looks like (there are smaller ones available though)
images

and miele's one, which im sure is pretty expensive but looks a lot better

images

images

Hi Penny,

Have you ever checked out the reviews on http://www.choice.com.au? I believe the current issue of their magazine has a large review article on ovens. There is also a section in the magazine that ranks brands by reliability, based on member surveys and issues they have had with their own appliances.

Access to the article is not free, if you like I can grab the magazine at home tonight and let you know which ranked highly and on what criteria it was based.

Penny, I've put Smeg ovens in the last three homes I've lived in. Just the 600mm mid range model. All three have been great. For grilling, I just put the top element of the oven on and move one of the oven shelves up high.

What I like about Smeg is the fact that their service is amazing (well, speaking for Sydney at least) when there is a problem.

Scott

Hi Penny,

We were out at the Harvey Norman / Domayne at Auburn last weekend looking for ovens for our newly purchased IP. We picked up an Ilve for $600 - was originally $1399 and sitting on the floor for $720 - brand new in box.

They had a fair few models to choose from with big discounts. We looked at a Chef model that had a separate griller and it measured 60 x 72ish (we had about 75cm to play with and it would have fit). They were asking $888, but would take $850. This was a bit more than we wanted to spend but they only had the one left sitting on the floor.

They seemed to have a good range there and a lot was going cheap. We went down the road to seconds world but came back as they were more expensive.

Back