Recourse Options for Incompetent PM Actions in VIC

Hi All,

Our unit has been re-letted via a below average PM in VIC. We were already considering changing PMs due to issues throughtout the year.

We have let the property through the same real estate agent since the beginning. The tenants starting tomorrow will be our fourth tenant.

Our current lease finished yesterday on the 27/10. Our new tenant starts tomorrow on the 29/10.

The PM did a property inspection report today and said there were no issues. I popped around today to have a look and found the following problems. At no time have we been told there are problems and the following issues were obvious.

Are these things that you would expect from a PM to pickup or am I picky?

1) Front & Rear security door closers missing (mechanism that automatically closes the door). Looked liked ripped off frames.
2) Door bell cover missing and door bell not working
3) Bathroom heat lamp blown
4) Missing Gas Heater instruction manual

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
For most of these things, you would probably find the pm asking if they were even in place before the tenants moved in. The heat lamp globe, would probably fall under maintenance, and they could probably claim the same with the doorbell.
From your list, a trip to bunnings a few bucks and these issues could be rectified, if you would even bother. Claim it back through your taxes, under repairs.
I'd have words with the pm if you do replace these things, and find a way to have them listed and checked off on with the property report. Change pms if you want, but let the new ones know why and also have these things listed.

Dont be suprise if you get a request from your new tenant to have these things fixed, but then again, they were like that when they signed the lease, so it might not be and issue to them.

Thanks Schweedy for the reply.

They were all in place when we started the arrangement with them. The door closers are actually on the ground in the laundry. From the look of the frame, it looks like they have ripped off.

These things as you mention aren't the most major things......but I would have thought the tenant has to maintain the property as it was letted to them (apart from wear and tear) and if the PM does not manage well and miss things, they need to take some responsibility?

After all, I'm putting my property in their care and paying good money for it.

I agree with schweedy that these issues are "small beer". Do you need to put the closers back on? I'm guessing they probably removed them due to finding them difficult to live with?

Light bulb - replace it.
Instruction manual should be available on the net.
New door bell for a few dollars?

If these things "aren't the major things" then what are the "major things"?

They are small things.......but when coupled with other issues experienced, it's just another blemish. She said there were no issues...these were just things I expected to be told.

Major things to me are holes punched in walls, deliberate damage? :)

Hi All,

Our unit has been re-letted via a below average PM in VIC. We are considering swapping PMs in the next month.

What is an average PM

We have let the property through the same real estate agent since the beginning. The tenants starting tomorrow will be our fourth tenant.

So did they only just become below average or were they always below average?

Our current lease finished yesterday on the 27/10. Our new tenant starts tomorrow on the 29/10.

Nice turn around - good effort by your below average PM

The PM did a property inspection report today and said there were no issues. I popped around today to have a look and found the following problems. At no time have we been told there are problems and the following issues were obvious.

What avenues of recourse do we have available to us? I'm afraid the PM has already refunded bond because she said there were no issues (I will be calling them tomorrow).

1) Front & Rear security door closers missing (mechanism that automatically closes the door)

Very common for the closers to fall off or become loose, overtime the screw holes enlarge and half the time the closer is a pain in the @$3^ anyway - so in my opinion your better off without them anyway
2) Door bell cover missing and door bell not working (batteries not replaced?)
omg - visitors will have to knock
so replace it
4) Missing Gas Heater instruction manual
google will find you a new one; btw why was it given to the tenant in the first place

Thanks in advance!

Most property investors will be thrilled with their PM if the only problems are as minor as the ones you mentioned, maybe your a below average investor

Most property investors will be thrilled with their PM if the only problems are as minor as the ones you mentioned, maybe your a below average investor

Many thanks for your reply/contribution. A bit of extra context/info may shed some further light to why I used the word average.........may...

What is an average PM

Top ten for past year.
1) Conducts inspection reports on time and without need to prompt.
2) Provides balanced advice/information on small improvements that can be done for better returns.
3) Properly advertises the property in terms of features. Not just a few lines.
4) Advertises the property for OFIs at least 2 days in advance.
5) Does not tell prospective tenants air con is broken when it is not.
6) Does not tell prospective tenants owner is not willing to fix something without actually asking owner.
7) Does not take photos with iPhone to advertise on internet.
8) Does not need to be prompted to maintain body corporate facilities. When prompted by owner, actually follows up.
9) Inspection reports actually report what is broken.
10) Keep archived photos of the furnished property without relying on owners.

So did they only just become below average or were they always below average?

They were ok for the first few years...good PMs. I think but they have had some cycling of PMs in the last two years. But in the past year, there have been too many slip ups for my liking and the recent tenant exchange has tipped me over.

Nice turn around - good effort by your below average PM

I needed to request OFIs. I needed to request PM follow up on the property be presented in it's best condition by getting the body corporate to fix up the garden trees/bushes (massive bushes/trees had not been trimmed for years). I needed to provide my own better photos for the internet ads. I needed to remind the PM to actually advertise the OFI times which resulted in 1 day notice. I was not approached when I visited during an OFI anonymously (she wasn't doing anything, just standing).

1) Front & Rear security door closers missing (mechanism that automatically closes the door)

Very common for the closers to fall off or become loose, overtime the screw holes enlarge and half the time the closer is a pain in the @$3^ anyway - so in my opinion your better off without them anyway

Yeah, I'm starting to feel the same way.

2) Door bell cover missing and door bell not working (batteries not replaced?)
omg - visitors will have to knock

Just something that I would have wanted to have been told that needs fixing. Not the cost that I was concerned about, it's the "Everything is ok" comment.

so replace it

Just a question to find out whether these are things that tenants should be maintaining as these are things that as a landlord, you're expected to have working at the beginning of a lease. Also would not have found out if I did not visit the site......another one of those "Everything is ok" concerns.

[/i]4) Missing Gas Heater instruction manual
google will find you a new one; btw why was it given to the tenant in the first place[/i]

In hindsight, should have made a copy..................haven't had an issue through 3 tenants.

Last edited:
These are minor issues. Replacing batteries! changing lightbulbs? are you serious?

I hand over management of a property to a pm for various reasons, one of them being informed about maintenance issues. I like to have my property in a good condition at the beginning of the lease so that hopefully tenants respect and maintain it. I depend on the PM to inform me what needs rectifying. When I'm not informed or given an opportunity, that's what I have an issue with, not the cost.

You are serious

What recourse are you after ? Sue for breach of contract or ask the pm to do another inspection and to tell you what needs repairing or replacing

noisuf go and get a life and find something interesting to do rather than waist time moaning about nothing. If those are the only things you have got to grissle about, thank your lucky stars. May be your PM would be happy to recommend another agency to you, it would probably be one they dont like. Always look on the bright side of life, Your house hasnt been flooded or burnt down has it.

i will share a crap PM story.

Tenant was on centre link direct pay of rent.
Tenant went off, PM didn't tell us
Tenant became late, PM didn't tell us
Our company didn't get paid, i ring up find out tenant is late, no official action has been taken.
I tell them to issue a breach notice and file at VCAT
He hand delivers a breach notice and incorrectly files at VCAT
We find out VCAT issues exist when we ring up to check progress
He gets fired for being a muppet
We ring up for progress find out he has been fired
Small agency so receptionist takes over
Real property manager is employeed
She goes to VCAT we get knocked back because there was no proof of delivery
Tenant decides to hand in keys
Tenant signs over bond
PM goes to VCAT as bond was centre link funded loan, turns out the entry report was written by the tenant ... for a place that had just been renovated at the rear of the property and profesionally cleaned and gardened through out the previous PM had allowed the tenant to write vauge, dirty & damaged, etc... through the entry report with no correction from the spineless PM.

I was going to say this PM sounds fine to me... everyone misses things and makes mistakes, and those are all minor. At the end of the day the place is rented with two days gap, if you're that finicky perhaps consider self-managing?

This is a tricky one, why not attend final inspections with your PM in the future so they know the things you want reported? I know you may find this frustrating, however, as a PM I know that when things like door bell not working and a blown heat lamp are reported to owners they usually don't want to know about it! Doesn't mean I don't tell them anyway but perhaps your PM decided not to tell you as these are things that the new tenant can rectify. They buy a new heat lamp from bunnings and a few batteries for the door bell. Then if it still isn't working they talk to the PM and they talk to you?

If this is just the straw that broke the camels back due to history with this PM then choose a new PM but make sure you discuss with them the issues you had with your previous PM so they can tailor their service to suit you. Everyone is different and wants slightly different things from their PM, if you are up front with what you expect you are more likely to get it!

Good luck with it all, I hope your new tenants are brilliant!

Back