Recycling Computer Stuff

Anybody know where I ring to get a heap of computer stuff picked up or where to drop off. I've offered it to charities and a freecycle network to no avail. We have a council clean up this weekend and I could put it out for them but the thought of perfectly good (but older) 'stuff' just getting tossed into a truck does my head in. It must be good for something surely?

Sydney South West area please if possible.

Ta
Olly

try a school or a youth centre or drop-in centre type of place - or even a boy scout group.

Also, try the various hostels for homeless groups.

But if are giving away the computers, just be careful with the licensing of the software that is installed on those computers. you won't be very popular if the group you gave the computers to get busted for having pirated software.

Following on from pirated software...

Make sure there's nothing personal or sensitive on the hard drive about yourself. Passwords, banking details and lots of other stuff can easily be stored.

I'd advise to remove the hard drive entirely and destroy it.

Last edited:
We use a company called e-waste. It costs money but saves a WHOLE LOT OF HASSLE !

Process is transparent and falls right in the area of corporate responsibility.

Good Luck.

http://www.recyclingnearyou.com.au/

Ended up finding this place above and put in my council area to find what's on offer.

Still a bit annoying though. Some won't do pick ups. Some won't take printers, some only take computers less than 5 years old or Pentium 4 or later or only Dell PC's and so on. I want the whole lot gone in one hit, and I've got 3 HD (the boxes), 2 scanners, 3 printers, 6 keyboards, the same in mouses and cables etc.

Looks like I have to load up my car with it all and run around doing drop offs or pay a fee to have it all picked and taken away in order to do the right thing. :(

Olly

Back