Refused entry to open - for not giving details

C'mon, that's not fair. You were the one explaining things like that's how it happens everywhere and then you say well, that's how they do it in Adelaide.

Its not about right and wrong as it can never be proven that agents do or don't take names for security and/or marketing.

Just like dummy bidding, conditioning etc.

Of course, the old Adelaide dismissal. You are right and I am wrong. Feel better?

I never said 'well, that's how they do it in Sydney' so i don't get the point of that comment.

The RE industry is the only area where i feel so strongly. There is no grey area. It is a systemised system of lies and deception. Aided and abetted by the REI's in each state and nationally.

Its not that i'm the only one who feels this way on here, in fact the majority do. Its just that i'm the only one with the cahoonas to say it so openly and cop the consequences.

Nor is Sydney

Why cant there be a grey area, why does it all have to be so black and white to you evand?

Why does everything seem to be a grand conspiracy to you?

Dave

I never said 'well, that's how they do it in Sydney' so i don't get the point of that comment.

The point is that you seem to be saying that "in your experience", it has been different to others experiences, so you are right and everyone else is wrong............. and you are in Sydney.

Sydney Rules

The RE industry is the only area where i feel so strongly. There is no grey area. It is a systemised system of lies and deception. Aided and abetted by the REI's in each state and nationally.

And certainly not the only industry that can be generalised in this way.
(Thinks of almost any job in the world that has any form of sales in it.)

Do you believe that EVERY agent is a deceitful liar?

Its not that i'm the only one who feels this way on here, in fact the majority do. Its just that i'm the only one with the cahoonas to say it so openly and cop the consequences.

You aren't the only one with balls to say so openly at all, though you may be the only one who is delusional enough to honestly believe ALL agents to be deceitful liars.

Dave

Response below in blue

The point is that you seem to be saying that "in your experience", it has been different to others experiences, so you are right and everyone else is wrong............. and you are in Sydney.

Sydney Rules

Now that's stretching it mate. Not a bad try tho. :D

And certainly not the only industry that can be generalised in this way.
(Thinks of almost any job in the world that has any form of sales in it.)

Do you believe that EVERY agent is a deceitful liar?

Of course not. But its very hard to be an honest agents and do well, let alone survive in the RE industry.

The old line when an agents gets busted is 'these few dishonest types give our industry a bad name' What a laugh, they only say that when ones gets busted and thats rare.

I've said many time on here. Its not the agents, its the industry. That's why they all do the same thing and you get the same stock answers to questions, same marketing, same lies, same systemised deception, same everything.

No other industry has state and national bodies perpetuating and supporting the deception and lies.

You aren't the only one with balls to say so openly at all, though you may be the only one who is delusional enough to honestly believe ALL agents to be deceitful liars.

I know when a debate gets personal the debater is losing ground real quick. And beside that i never said i believe ALL agents to be deceitful liars.

As above, i've always said its the industry and to do well in that industry you need to be part of it. Again, nice try.

Dave

Out of interest, when showing ID in Adelaide does the REA actually take the time to record all the details (name, license number, address, etc)? How do they manage this process during busy inspections?

Out of interest, when showing ID in Adelaide does the REA actually take the time to record all the details (name, license number, address, etc)? How do they manage this process during busy inspections?

Usually you need to pre-register before you attend. It might stop people just being able to drop by, but if they are really interested they will persist. And most people (in SA anyway:rolleyes:) understand the reasons behind it.

Can I just repeat, from someone whose house was burgled a week after an open inspection, it is not the Police who will go through the list but the Insurance company - where is the head banging on the wall smilie! Why are people dismissing this concept by using flawed assumptions?

But the idea is to preventthe crime from happening in the first place!

Whether or not you believe the RE Agents have their own agenda is one thing, and whether you have an Agenda with RE Agents in general is yet another, if an owner didnt want an ID check then it wouldnt happen!

what can the insurance comany do with the list ? contact everyone & ask them to come ino their office for an interrogation "did you break into the house ?" How would they "go through the list"... Perhaps the list satisifes their criteria for cover during such events like home opens (alhtough I do not know how parties are treated then when multiple guests of the owners and also numerous unknown friends often turn up)

I have given my name & details, no problem, never had a followup or anything, so I do not mind. Although I think it is more of a feelgood measure than a practical one. I suspected it woudl be ffor the REA to use for marketing puprposes, but the last 2 I inspected they were happy with just my first name & mobile # No big deal for me, even if an agent DID contact me re something I wasn't interested, I wouldn't be suckerd into buying it if i didn;t want it, no harm done

The Insurance assessor said they would look for unusual occurrences in the list, on the basis of demographics (of house and buyer); repeat visits but then not register for the auction, stuff like that. Our house was in one of the most expensive suburbs in Adelaide (you know the kind, worst house best street:D) and you wouldnt usually expect someone from a much lower socioeconomic suburb from being interested. Generalisation of course, but a starting point for enquiries. And worthwhile too because if you crack a case you often crack several. Also, they could make enquiries at the local pawnbrokers, stuff like that. We think we know who broke in by the way, we just had no means of proving it. His name on a list would have nailed him!

The main aim as I mentioned is to prevent such people from even bothering to show because there is always an easier target and burglary is frequently a crime of opportunity.

My house was broken into the week after it was auctioned. The burglar knew the layout of the house exactly - he was in there for no longer than five minutes (we have an audible alarm) and entered five different rooms (one is a bit difficult to find) and stole all the computer equipment, (the hard drive was under a desk and difficult to spot) jewellery, cameras, stereo and hifi. Tell me that that person hadnt been through my open inspections? When we sell we will insist on full details.

And Troy, those details will come from proper ID. Might put some buyers off but at least we wont be broken into.

and having that list helps how? Are you going to accuse everyone who entered your property that week?

so in other words, lulling the owner into a false sense of security ?

I know what you mean, and I have no issue leaving my details but do you really think a name on a peice of paper wopuld nail him ? I thought it requires actual evidence to prosecute or to 'nail' ?

why am i the first poster in this thread.. i didn't start it... i actually posted last night when it was already well and truely happening...:confused:

jaycee, we had other information, as I said, that led to us to suspect a particular person, and that information, together with the fact that he had attended our house and walked through it would provide enough evidence to ensure a proper investigation was conducted, which, in the fullness of time might provide the evidence required to prosecute.

maybe shops should also ask for ID each time you enter.. imagine you having to show ID at the supermarket each time you went in there, and then got a call from the police the following week cause something was stolen...

agents are once again lying and pretending to have the vendors interests at heart, when in reality its simple for them to build their own marketing database, in which case it should be optional if you want to give your details or not.

and having that list helps how? Are you going to accuse everyone who entered your property that week?

Could you read the post above where I explained how the Insurance company would go about this please?

maybe shops should also ask for ID each time you enter.. imagine you having to show ID at the supermarket each time you went in there, and then got a call from the police the following week cause something was stolen...

agents are once again lying and pretending to have the vendors interests at heart, when in reality its simple for them to build their own marketing database, in which case it should be optional if you want to give your details or not.

Why are some of you making this about the Agent and their reputation?

If you enter a secure inspection, it is optional; if you dont want to leave evidence of ID, then you dont enter. Your choice.

jaycee, we had other information, as I said, that led to us to suspect a particular person, and that information, together with the fact that he had attended our house and walked through it would provide enough evidence to ensure a proper investigation was conducted, which, in the fullness of time might provide the evidence required to prosecute.

so without a name on that peice of paper police won't investigate, but otherwise they would ??

sounds like the "lock your windows when you go out or on holidays" suggestion we see on tv ads form time to time... may prevent a breakin, may not, but doubt it will hep you catch the culprit after the event...

is insurance still paying you ?

The police dont investigate much these days unless there is a good chance of catching someone. The Insurance company would have done some preliminary work on a list of names and if they thought they had a suspect then that info would be handed over to the Police whom you would HOPE would investigate it further.
The Insurance company were fine about paying out the claim without a list; but having one would have possibly helped them catch someone and so recover the stolen property, which becomes their property once you accept the claim money.

On the other hand, whilst I don't go to a huge amount of opens I have been to a few. All the REA's take my name and number - and out of all those occasions, I only remember ever getting one agent call back about my interest.

I also never received any further marketing/calls from them as a result of them having my details.

Not saying that's not perhaps part of the reason they collect the details, but I also think some people are blowing the REA's alterior motives a bit out of proportion.

why am i the first poster in this thread.. i didn't start it... i actually posted last night when it was already well and truely happening...:confused:

Alabex

The forum was attacked by gremlins yesterday - and boy, did they have fun!!!!! I had a similar thing happen to me in another thread - my solution was to delete and re-post ..... if you could be bothered!

Cheers
LynnH

Not saying that's not perhaps part of the reason they collect the details, but I also think some people are blowing the REA's alterior motives a bit out of proportion.

Agreed.

I still receive various correspondence and other such interesting things from the REIV, due to my previous life as an agent. They make it very clear to their members - in private communication not intended for the public - that ID must be shown and recorded prior to entry for legal and security reasons.

Bye the way, why would you look at a property and then not want to talk to the agent afterwards? Surely keeping in contact with agents is a good thing when looking for deals...?

Agreed.

I still receive various correspondence and other such interesting things from the REIV, due to my previous life as an agent. They make it very clear to their members - in private communication not intended for the public - that ID must be shown and recorded prior to entry for legal and security reasons.

Bye the way, why would you look at a property and then not want to talk to the agent afterwards? Surely keeping in contact with agents is a good thing when looking for deals...?

same reason I dont want every sales person from Myer/David Jones/Hugo Boss etc calling me to ask if I am interested in the suit I just happened to look at whilst in their store... or every car sales man from evey caryard you visit - they too can help by calling you when a suitable car comes up etc etc etc....

Back