Regarding appliance and floorboard warranties when moving into a 2 year old house

We're moving into a 2-yr old house with relatively new appliances (ducted air, oven, gas fireplace, etc.) and 2-yr old floor boards. My question is what is normally done regarding transfer of warranties to the new owner? Do I have the right to acquire them? This is our first time moving into an "old" house so not sure what to do. :eek:

Last edited:
As the new owner, in your purchase contract there should be a copy of a occupation certificate and the certificate of insurance.

Donot lose any paper work.

The certificate of insurance has the details of the builder and the occupation certificate has the date when the home was completed.

As with the floorboards or any construction issues with the building contact the builder first within 7 years date of construction, if the builder has disappeared, died or gone bankrupt then claim through your certificate of insurance.

And the appliances, see if the previous owners will give you copys of the paper work of purchase or ring the appliance manufactures with the I.D code.

Please if you need to make a claim ring the Fair Trade of N.S.W. and confirm with them.

As the new owner, in your purchase contract there should be a copy of a occupation certificate and the certificate of insurance.

Donot lose any paper work.

The certificate of insurance has the details of the builder and the occupation certificate has the date when the home was completed.

As with the floorboards or any construction issues with the building contact the builder first within 7 years date of construction, if the builder has disappeared, died or gone bankrupt then claim through your certificate of insurance.

And the appliances, see if the previous owners will give you copys of the paper work of purchase or ring the appliance manufactures with the I.D code.

Please if you need to make a claim ring the Fair Trade of N.S.W. and confirm with them.

Thanks Merc69. So the floorboards' warranty is included in the building warranty? I'll double check the docos that were given to us.

Also check the appliance warranties as often they only apply to the 'original' purchaser of the product

Can't this be transferred if this is the case? I'm worried about the oven and the AC unit (even the gas fireplace) as they're the expensive ones to fix when they break down.

had the same issue when I bought my IP and found that the kitchen appliances (omega) only had a 2yr warranty so had expired and the ducted A/C (fujitsu) had a 5yr warranty which expires Nov11. just google the suppliers and check what warranties they offer with their products. For the A/C most manufactures just need the SN of the unit to confirm if covered by warranty for repairs.

had the same issue when I bought my IP and found that the kitchen appliances (omega) only had a 2yr warranty so had expired and the ducted A/C (fujitsu) had a 5yr warranty which expires Nov11. just google the suppliers and check what warranties they offer with their products. For the A/C most manufactures just need the SN of the unit to confirm if covered by warranty for repairs.

Thanks for the advice womble66! I'll do that.

Back