Regional Investing-New South Wales..

Hi Brady, I'm considering Bathurst and just checked vacancy rates online where it said its over 6 percent. Does this sound right to those in the know? I'm currently o/s and don't have any magazines to cross reference. If someone could check e back of an API or YIP it would be treaty appreciated.

Bathurst (actually the postcode 2795) - API MAG (sept edition) 3.3% vacancy, SQM says 3.8% geoffw where did you get your number?

Last edited:
Regional NSW

Hiya

Not sure whether this helps...

I have a house in Raymond Terrace (a short ride away to pricey newcastle); bought all up 160K; rented 275 per week...never vacant.

I would look closely at job growth prospects for any regional area in NSW currently.

Unemployment is trending upwards again, and though this is a state-wide issue (not being isolated to just regional NSW but including Sydney and major towns like Newcastle, Wollongong and so on); regional towns are likely to remain to be the most exposed to this.

And, because smaller towns are more exposed/at risk when property supply and demand fluctuates as a result of poor job growth/unemployment; investors can feel the brunt of this via prolonged vacancy periods.

Instead, look to stable markets that are less exposed to these ebbs and flows; ones that have multiple and varied revenue drivers for those towns. That doesn't necessarily need to translate to 'massive volumes of revenue'; it can be modest economic output (not spectacular), but this really ought to come from at least three or more sectors.

Good examples of towns that offer this variety would be Griffith NSW and its surrounds (Agriculture capital, plus some resources proximity, plus education); and Tamworth (Military, resources/mining, tourism).

I would look closely at job growth prospects for any regional area in NSW currently.

Unemployment is trending upwards again, and though this is a state-wide issue (not being isolated to just regional NSW but including Sydney and major towns like Newcastle, Wollongong and so on); regional towns are likely to remain to be the most exposed to this.

And, because smaller towns are more exposed/at risk when property supply and demand fluctuates as a result of poor job growth/unemployment; investors can feel the brunt of this via prolonged vacancy periods.

Instead, look to stable markets that are less exposed to these ebbs and flows; ones that have multiple and varied revenue drivers for those towns. That doesn't necessarily need to translate to 'massive volumes of revenue'; it can be modest economic output (not spectacular), but this really ought to come from at least three or more sectors.

Good examples of towns that offer this variety would be Griffith NSW and its surrounds (Agriculture capital, plus some resources proximity, plus education); and Tamworth (Military, resources/mining, tourism).

Helpful sound advice Cameron.

Thanks.

So which stats do people go of when looking at vacancy rates, given that there are so much conflicting data. Re: Bathurst, 2% is pretty solid, but 6.9 is a deal breaker.

So which stats do people go of when looking at vacancy rates, given that there are so much conflicting data. Re: Bathurst, 2% is pretty solid, but 6.9 is a deal breaker.

API mag uses sqm research and I am yet to hear that their data is too far off. Interested in other's thoughts too if there are problems with it???

I work out my own stats

Go to census look at the amount of dwellings, go to real estate site look at for rent

Not exact as census is dated but you've done your own research

I work out my own stats

Go to census look at the amount of dwellings, go to real estate site look at for rent

Not exact as census is dated but you've done your own research

This is always a good method. I used to do this before I knew about SQM. But I reckon its pretty much their formula. For small towns you want watch individual rentals come on and off re.com.au and then watch SQM go up and down by the same amount. There are no perfect method as in small towns there are local re agents who have informal lists (property lists and tenant lists) and deals go down via word of mouth some stock never hits the net but its good to get as close as we can to reality.

My 4th positively geared property was a $90k house in Orange. I sold it aftera year for $115k. But not much gain... Why did I sell?

Well, this was almost ten years ago ..but...

The copper under the house was stolen while it was vacant (2k cost)
It was vacant as in a housing comiss area (I had no idea when I bought, didnt care much anyway), across from a basketball court where over 300 aboriginal kids gathered every day til through the night screaming and smashing bottles and shopping trolleys
While vacant the insurance company said they wouldnt cover it for over 3 months vacant
4th month vacant an arsonist started burning down every house in the street!

It is pretty funny in retrospect as I always jump into investments without too much thought, thinking worst is I'll lose a little -- never expected to possibly lose an uninsured house!!:)

I purchased 3 in taree 85k each and all rent for $225,250,260
very happy and now extracting equity 130k in 15 months

~50% growth in 15 months all on a 15% gross yield.

More details on this please.... reno involved, cost, plans for the properties now?

Hey brady,
No reno been rented from day 1
Plans just to hold really
Extracting equity + savings for the next phase = developing
Looking foward to it too!
Annoying when every month there is an issue ie- leaking taps faulty switch etc etc
Btw bought to semis in Eliz at same time and have had zero growth..

Sounds like great buying. Can't be too annoyed when gross yield is 15% and had some great growth... enough fat in those properties to cover some minor maitenance. Can't expect a maintenance free property @ $85k :)

Can't comment on the semi's in Elizabeth because not what I think is best, If you purchased a big block at the same time it's likely would of had some growth.

I'm looking to start the developing path as well. Have you secured any sites or just starting to get as much equity as possible available?

Yeah no complaining here mate :)
Just the few maintainence issues but all good

If I had my time again prob would have not bought the semis
But hey in 10-20years ill wish i had have bought 10!
(Maybe) ha ha

No site selected yet will be melb based thou
just gathering the equity at this stage :)

Nice numbers in taree soul fly. Not everyone has the character for owning that kind of place but there is profit for those that do and get in low and time it right.

Last edited:
Back