Reglaze Shower Screen

I have an IP in Logan Qld with three cracked shower screen glass panels. I live in Sydney.

The managing agent just sent a quote through to repair it. I thought you very clever people could give it a glance. I don't understand a word of it.

Option 1:
6mm scintilla wire
1500 x 500 mm
2 - rollers 1500 mm rope
$521.81 + GST

Option 2:
6.38 mm clear laminate glass
3 - 1500 x 500mm
2 - rollers 1.5 m rope
442.50 + GST

It may be a landlord insurance claim (but I'd have to check the policy for coverage and excess).

Which glass would you go for, if either. Or is there another option you'd consider?

Regards

Paulzag
Dreamspinner

Gidday paul,

General consensus is use 6mm lami.

The wired glass is usually only used to match existing.

With the wired glass over time the hot water can expand the wire inside and cause cracking plus the wire can corrode and expand also causing cracking.

The rollers are for under the doors....only two? for the cost, replace all four.

The rope i'm assuming is for a pully system to operate the doors.
usually 3mm nylon or similar.

Go the laminated........it's the cheaper and IMHO the better!

rossv

The laminate one is supposed to be safer as if someone falls into it - it may crack but not shatter as it's 'stuck' together (laminated), but there have been reports of people falling into the wire one - it breaks and they've got their arm etc caught in the wire and can't pull it out without further injury.

Then again you could pay more for safety glass and be done with it, as it's covered by safety standards. Actually when I was a scheduler for a door and window company it was law that safety glass had to be used in any opening where there was a door or window that could be mistaken for a walkthtrough e.g picture windows, glass doors, (sliding/bifolds etc), glass panels in walls, alongside stairs etc and I think from memory that the measurement that this kicked in from was 600mm wide - just not sure if this applies to shower screens though as we didn't sell those.

Cheers
Olly

Dear Paul,

If you want something more competitive on price then I would give Regency a call. The last shower screen they did for me cost $208 inc installed (Fixed Bath Screens and Swing Panel one.)

http://www.regency-mck.com/shower111.html

Always good for a comparison. No rollers and less moving parts means less things can go wrong with it. I remember one handyman told me that 15% of all the work he does was just fixing up the rollers on shower screens. If you can remove the rollers then there should be potential reduction in maintenance costs.

Cheers,

Sunstone.

Back